• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2015/16 Europa League - Round of 16: Borussia Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe this draw, how Dortmund have become a power house in recent times, I look for their games in the Bundesliga, and watch them run all over the pitch, all day, every game. They have the winning mentality, something we are learning with every game on the way to the title race this season.

Two HUGE games, I am so happy we are in theese type of games at the business end of the season. Gonna be some fantastic football, can't wait to watch these.

COYS !!!
Should be a good learning experience for our young squad. Front row seat to a team that will show them how it's done and hopefully we will outdo them!

Disappointing draw. Wish we got a less stronger team. Borussia Dortmund got many quality players who can trouble us if we are not careful. Firstly, we need to improve our away record as we had only won 3 out of 11 away matches in Europe. If we manage atleast draw at Dortmund, we will have excellent chance to beat them at home. But I think we need to practice penalties just in case it goes to the penalty shootouts ! As they say, when you want to be the best, you need to beat the best !

astonishing draw. Wish we got a less stronger team. Borussia Dortmund got many quality players who can trouble us if we are not careful. Firstly, we need to improve our away record as we had only won 3 out of 11 away matches in Europe. If we manage atleast draw at Dortmund, we will have excellent chance to beat them at home. But I think we need to practice penalties just in case it goes to the penalty shootouts ! As they say, when you want to be the best, you need to beat the best !
Have you considered suicide?

Budget flights have already gone through the roof.

Not quite Florence where you can make a bit more of a trip. No. 1 attraction in Dortmund seems to be the stadium!

Spurs have released a coach trip but don't fancy that....will wait to see if they do any day trips before booking alternative flights.
Flight to Bremen £75 rtn. Train to Dortmund £35 rtn. Also Eindhoven. It's Germany, what bigger attraction do you need?

One of the toughest things about the Dortmund draw is that the away leg follows the NLD, which itself is at the end of a 7 games in 3 weeks. We then have other league games around the Dortmund game....going to be tough for Poch to juggle the squad with Verts injured and few alternatives for Kane

Good draw, if we go out then it's not a disgrace and the media frenzy about collapsing season doesn't happen. If we go through mind you everyone is going sit up and take serious notice of us.

Good draw, if we go out then it's not a disgrace and the media frenzy about collapsing season doesn't happen. If we go through mind you everyone is going sit up and take serious notice of us.

I agree with that. If we cant beat a team of Dortmund's calibre then we wont win the EL - may as well face them now and if lose then our fixture list in April clears up a lot

Just checked and Dortmund are the 10th best team in Europe based on the UEFA club coefficients. We're 21st, Fiorentina are 32nd. Granted its based on last 5 years' performances rather than this year, but it highlight the strength of the opposition

Have you considered suicide?

now I'm generally a glass half empty person myself, but for some people, the glass isn't even that, it's on the kitchen floor, smashed into a thousand pieces, it's contents deposited onto the linoleum, a shard of glass is stuck your foot, a large vein, you are bleeding out, the stain will
never come out and you are feeling dizzy...

Last edited:
Did that route when I went to Cologgne for Bayer Levekeusen, was a good way of doing it, the German trains were unreal
Agree with this. Lots of trains to Brussels. And train travel (this type) is so much better than airports, planes delays and long waits. St Pancras > lgw lhr. Crack a beer and away you go.

One of the toughest things about the Dortmund draw is that the away leg follows the NLD, which itself is at the end of a 7 games in 3 weeks. We then have other league games around the Dortmund game....going to be tough for Poch to juggle the squad with Verts injured and few alternatives for Kane
If we were to get a tough opponent, this seems like the ideal round, since we have manageable PL fixtures around the EL games (not counting the NLD, since it precedes the Dortmund match). And we'd have to beat them at some point, if we want to win the cup, so it might as well be now. Overall I'd say it's a win-win.

Flight to Bremen £75 rtn. Train to Dortmund £35 rtn. Also Eindhoven. It's Germany, what bigger attraction do you need?

Going with the wife so will be pretty different to the last time I went to Germany for the Leverkusen game.

Anyone ever used Sport Options?

i'm not a fan of this competition but i love this draw, this is a great test for our young squad, as we're likely going to be competing against this caliber of team in the CL next year, if we go out , i'm sure we wou;d have given it a go, if we do go thru, we would have beaten the faves and would be a few games from winning the whole thing, its a win /win

Good evening, sports nerds and decimal point ultras. It's that exciting time again, when we go rumbling and tumbling through the numbing numbers of the UEFA co-efficient tables. Yes, it all adds up to make sum story.

Spurs are in decent shape, presently lodged in 21st position. Should we qualify for Champions League next season(and that is said in all humbleness and also assumes Leicester get in, leaving two places left), we have a chance to make it into the second pot of the group stage draw. Of the 20 teams ahead of us, it's highly likely that Chelsea, Sevilla, and Valencia will not qualify for next year.

Man United, who sit just above us in UEFA's 20th ranking, will need a great closing run to qualify. They'd have to pip either Emirates Marketing Project or Arsenal, which would knock out a higher-ranked club than Spurs. Whatever way it works out with those three clubs, it means that a fourth club ranked above us will not qualify. Schalke and Leverkusen are also ranked above us but have work to do to qualify. They're in the hunt in Germany with three other clubs for the final two spots. So, they could miss out as well.

Assuming a best case scenario with Schalke and Leverkusen missing out, we'd sit in 15th place behind other clubs who look certainties to qualify for next year. It's unlikely we could move up in the rankings, even if we go all the way to the final. We'd need two years of big numbers to make a significant move upward.

Could we drop a place or two? Yes. Athletic Bilbao are just over four points behind us and play Gary NeVilencia in the next round. Sweep that and they earn four points for two wins and a fifth for advancing to the quarter finals with more points available. Shaktar Donetsk could also move past us by beating Anderlecht. One consideration in that tie is that Shaktar play their home game on the other side of the country, in Lviv.

It's quite possible, then, that we would drop into the third pot. It was from the third pot that we had such a memorable time in our last CL appearance.

So, if we fail to get past Dortmund, it might be a disappointment as a fan, but not the wurst situation for next year. Win and Spurs are on their way to pot two, if not Basel.

Here's a link to the full club co-efficients table:

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html

You're now up to date and fully equipped to be the bright spark in your next pub debate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back