• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

cars

Years ago I got a VW Bora as a company car. Woop.

It stated it could go 130mph so I tried that out down the M40/A34 one night on the way home, and indeed it did go that fast.

Got home and went to bed.

When I got up in the morning to go to work, when I opened the front door I immediately saw that the tyres had literally fallen apart and the inner carcass was hanging out.

Can't believe they got me home / I didn't crash.

I play the game slightly differently.

I let my wife choose the type of car and then go out and buy the fastest one of that type that I can find, so far it’s worked out pretty well.

I just did this as well. Had to retire my 1995 Saab 9000 Aero, and as we are expecting a baby next month, wanted to get another safe (but more reliable) car for me. She drives a very practical Honda Civic. She suggested a Subaru. I bought a WRX. :)

I just did this as well. Had to retire my 1995 Saab 9000 Aero, and as we are expecting a baby next month, wanted to get another safe (but more reliable) car for me. She drives a very practical Honda Civic. She suggested a Subaru. I bought a WRX. :)
That's exactly how it should be done[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Fapatalk

What do you need from it and what's your budget?

Midlife reasons [emoji28]

Flexible budget especially for cars that will hold their value.

If they made them in more subtle colours a 997 GTS or turbo has some appeal. Without a subtle or striking colour they somehow lack personality though? Most are white, black or grey. A rather utilitarian interior too, and despite their engineering prowess and speed, they lack distinctiveness?

Alfa Quadrofolio. Probably too fast for the road (same issue with the 997 turbo) 4 doors, boot, distinctive. Feels like a Ferrari.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

The ‘Holding their value’ bit rules out a lot of stuff, you can ignore anything affordable from the Aston, Maserati, Alpha, BMW, Audi and Mercedes ranges

A GT3, if you can get one in your budget might even make you a few quid, or a decent restomod might tick a lot of your boxes

I’m having a 1974 VW campervan built with a 350hp WRX motor and all sorts of goodies that will turn it into a very modern vehicle, but it does take time.

I’d be interested to see what other think

The ‘Holding their value’ bit rules out a lot of stuff, you can ignore anything affordable from the Aston, Maserati, Alpha, BMW, Audi and Mercedes ranges

A GT3, if you can get one in your budget might even make you a few quid, or a decent restomod might tick a lot of your boxes

I’m having a 1974 VW campervan built with a 350hp WRX motor and all sorts of goodies that will turn it into a very modern vehicle, but it does take time.

I’d be interested to see what other think

Wow! Any pics? Love the style of those vans. Is it going to be kitted out for trips inside?

Funnily enough have a 1975 911 I am slowly doing up/resto modding now. Adding chrome trim, will get a respray and a new interior (not touching the impact bumpers). A later 3.2 engine and gear box has been fitted. It’s relatively light - more so than the later 3.2 cars - for an old girl she’s not too slow.

Last edited:
Reactions: DTA
Midlife reasons [emoji28]

Flexible budget especially for cars that will hold their value.

If they made them in more subtle colours a 997 GTS or turbo has some appeal. Without a subtle or striking colour they somehow lack personality though? Most are white, black or grey. A rather utilitarian interior too, and despite their engineering prowess and speed, they lack distinctiveness?

Alfa Quadrofolio. Probably too fast for the road (same issue with the 997 turbo) 4 doors, boot, distinctive. Feels like a Ferrari.

No such thing as too fast for the road.

If you want something with 4 doors and don't want to be like every other taco on the road then any Maserati with the F160 engine in is a good choice. They feel like a much nicer place to be than the Alfa, even if they lose a bit around a track in comparison. Be prepared for everyone to want to talk to you about your car though.

If you're concerned about depreciation and know your way around fixing the odd part yourself, you're far better off going for something at the bottom of its depreciation curve. I'll assume that your budget is £40-50k as you mention a 997 Turbo as a possibility.

Personal choice would be something like the Aston Rapide. You can get the S version at the top of the price bracket.

Last edited:
Wow! Any pics? Love the style of those vans. Is it going to be kitted out for trips inside?

Funnily enough have a 1975 911 I am slowly doing up/resto modding now. Adding chrome trim, will get a respray and a new interior (not touching the impact bumpers). A later 3.2 engine and gear box has been fitted. It’s relatively light - more so than the later 3.2 cars - for an old girl she’s not too slow.

We are going to have to get these two together when they are done, I have a soft spot for the 3.2 flat 6, I like the sound of what you are doing.

Mines all in bare metal at the moment, still being cut and strengthened

This is the chassis cage, it’s designed to stop the engine twisting the chassis

3e12dfa35f3fc02c536503330456ec4f.jpg

0910a9d127e05b5638aaf20c3570b496.jpg

d733155ebc5c0fb798311ba5bf0170a1.jpg

3ca01f2fa1e857f45190b65ada79280b.jpg

And a bit of bling, some custom AP Racing forged callipers and 12inch discs

Sounds like you’re doing a proper job on it (images not loading on the phone fascinated to see what you do with it). Not just a fun project but at the end of it you have potential for some fun trips, involve the other half etc.

That racing car looks the nuts. That is the thing about the GT3s, unless tracking them I think I’d prefer a softer road car. Or get a proper track car like that one. But need a trailer too?

I thought I needed to do something similar.

Was changing from a very boring and sensible (although reasonably powerful) 5 Series. So I booked for us to look at two cars - the one I wanted, which was a bit less sensible and a much less sensible one that made the one I wanted seem like the safe option.

The wife loved the second one so I won double.

I am still looking for a track car.

Tough choice at the moment though. I want something that's properly set for a track, but that obviously means something that isn't great for driving to and from - especially for track days abroad.

The tow rating on my daily is zero, and I suspect the one on my wife's hatchback is even less. So I either have to change my daily for the kind of car that has one (not appealing) or buy a compromised track car that I can do 1,000 miles in over a couple of days.

Back