• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

And from what i hear, Pochs' influence/guidance goes way beyond just their football life.

I've heard this from a few players - most recently I remember Wanyama commenting about Poch's influence as a father figure and how he teaches them not just about being players but about being men.
I loved reading that.
Really sounded like Ehiogu bought into that mission and was a big part of that for the youth teams as well.

Last edited:
From someone I know the Bonuses at the club are great, Kanes wages based on salary and goal bonus is very healthy

Absolutely true. I've been saying this for some time in various threads TBF. It makes the unselfish way in which players were trying to set Hazza up for the third on Sunday all the more admirable AND a further clue that this squad is built on more than just money.

I love the idea of heavily incentivising through bonusses, but have to ask, could clubs with bigger finances not offer bigger basics and bigger bonus packages? Does it actually give us a competitive package for our players or is it moot?

In the last set of accounts we pay around 2 thirds in wages compared to the 5 richer teams, whether in bonuses or not this is the total. Only way to close the gap is via increasing revenue

I love the idea of heavily incentivising through bonusses, but have to ask, could clubs with bigger finances not offer bigger basics and bigger bonus packages? Does it actually give us a competitive package for our players or is it moot?

Of course they can

It's more about incentivising what we have

It doesn't stop an oil club offering more full stop

Of course they can

It's more about incentivising what we have

It doesn't stop an oil club offering more full stop

I guess it reflects the whole 'you can be a starter here or a squad player there' thing too. Be a starter here in a winning team and you'll make great money. Once Walker realised he was a squad player here as much as he would be at Emirates Marketing Project, it makes sense for him to take the money. Rose, having not played for 8 months, has probably seen his earnings dip and thought similar.

But you combine high win bonuses with the opportunity to really develop your game and be a genuine starter, and that's a good reason to come here and stay ahead of moving for the money more immediately. Once you get to a point where someone else is breathing down your neck for your place it will make sense to move on. In a way it's great that Dier didn't kick up a fuss and decided to stay, as he probably would have been a starter under Jose in midfield.

Yeh but its no different anyway, if we paid Kane 200k a week someone could offer 250k anyway?

So the solution is to not increase wages at all?

I think the trick is to manage wages within your own structure and not be swayed by clubs that are A - Richer or B - West Ham and have half your team on 5k and hte other half on 130k a week.

There is no such thing as market conditions in modern football to enable you to compare like for like, so best you look at what you have to your disposal and work accordingly.

I think the trick is to manage wages within your own structure and not be swayed by clubs that are A - Richer or B - West Ham and have half your team on 5k and hte other half on 130k a week.

There is no such thing as market conditions in modern football to enable you to compare like for like, so best you look at what you have to your disposal and work accordingly.

That's a nice idea in theory but I think we're kidding ourselves if we truly believe that players don't look at what their peers earn and evaluate their wages and career accordingly. Realistically, the likes of Palace and West Ham aren't going to come and steal our players unless they offer them silly money like Neymar earns for example which is pie in the sky thinking. I'm more concerned with the gap between ourselves and our title rivals. If we pay 100-200% less than Emirates Marketing Project, United or Chelsea and we can't offer trophies then what incentive do the likes of Kane, Alli, Alderweireld etc have to stay? A shiny new stadium on its own won't be enough.

The tv money alone plus player sales and revenue means we should have enough to try and close that gap, I fully accept we will probably never be able eradicate it. Footballers wages increase over time, that's just how things work. Paying our star players £80k a week won't keep them here long term.

That's a nice idea in theory but I think we're kidding ourselves if we truly believe that players don't look at what their peers earn and evaluate their wages and career accordingly. Realistically, the likes of Palace and West Ham aren't going to come and steal our players unless they offer them silly money like Neymar earns for example which is pie in the sky thinking. I'm more concerned with the gap between ourselves and our title rivals. If we pay 100-200% less than Emirates Marketing Project, United or Chelsea and we can't offer trophies then what incentive do the likes of Kane, Alli, Alderweireld etc have to stay? A shiny new stadium on its own won't be enough.

The tv money alone plus player sales and revenue means we should have enough to try and close that gap, I fully accept we will probably never be able eradicate it. Footballers wages increase over time, that's just how things work. Paying our star players £80k a week won't keep them here long term.

The TV money is not forever though and there is this obsession to spend it as soon as you get it, even in football that has no economical sense thats just stupid.

Alli is on more than half of Toure at Emirates Marketing Project and is twice the player, so what does it mean for us? End of the world? Match their wages to keep him just in case? Or do you accept that some clubs are spending mental money that we will never match.

Compare apples with apples mate, we will never match Emirates Marketing Project, Man United and Chelsea for wages and equally they pay over the odds for their talent in the same way West Ham do. Walkers wage is not a good benchmark in that he is in the minority in terms of what he earns. I would say if you look over Europe Rose is in good company for what he earns if not on slightly more than a number of left backs.

for now we have to suck it up, have a sensible wage structure and do the best we can with it, losing players is inevitable, doesn't mean we can't continually move forward though

Back