• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ross Barkley

I think we'd like to sign him, but I don't think we are desperate to sign him. I can't see Levy going up to £30m for a player with only 1 year left on his contract -- maybe he will, but I don't think so.

I think we'd like to sign him, but I don't think we are desperate to sign him. I can't see Levy going up to £30m for a player with only 1 year left on his contract -- maybe he will, but I don't think so.

I suspect that it will come down more on how the deal is structured rather than the maximum we will pay. If Everton want to say that he went for £30m, we can help them but a large chunk of that should be add ons that we are unlikely to pay.

That's why it's taking so long. I suspect he only wants to join us.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Fapatalk

I suspect that it will come down more on how the deal is structured rather than the maximum we will pay. If Everton want to say that he went for £30m, we can help them but a large chunk of that should be add ons that we are unlikely to pay.

Something I've always wondered - are agent fees included in the headline transfer fee, or are they accounted for separately, d'you think? I.e, if a player costs 30m, and the agent fee is 2.5m, then which figure does the buying club amortize over the length of the contract - 30m or 32.5m?

By now, it's pretty evident that every man and his dog has given their opinion on what Barkley can or cannot offer. It's a well-flogged nag.

Let's let this thread settle until there is actually something to report. It's becoming tiresome to see it get bumped for twaddle. No offense, there, Dubai.

Goalposts moving all over the place here! Soldado, Jannsen, Njai, Fazio, NKD much more than 10m. Who says Barkley is 50% overvalued? Especially as we don't even know his eventual price!
You said we'd been successful with our English purchases. How many English players have we spent a lot of money on?

Most of our successes with English players have come from players we've either developed here or bought at a very young age. That negates the English premium because an overpriced player at that end of the market doesn't hurt us.

Yes I think there is a cultural connection to the other English players in the team but could have replaced dier with winks (or used the players defoe over bent, similar talents but different mentalities).

The key is choosing the correct English player that adds the intangible benefit
Bromance with Alli aside, do you think that Dier has a better connection to the rest of the team than say Vertonghen does?

Although we can only judge by what the club puts out, I don't get the impression that the connection is any less there than it is for other English players. And if there's any difference I think it's massively outweighed by Vertonghen not having grown up learning to defend the English way.

Something I've always wondered - are agent fees included in the headline transfer fee, or are they accounted for separately, d'you think? I.e, if a player costs 30m, and the agent fee is 2.5m, then which figure does the buying club amortize over the length of the contract - 30m or 32.5m?

Buying club in theory should not be paying agency's fees.... unless your Man Utd

The agent set up is the same as selling a house basically

Only difference now is the Haney may get a cut of the fee as above. Old days they would get a cut of the signing on fee as they worked for the player not the club

I think you and Alan Shearer would get on very well. Probably Sherwood too for that matter.
Whereas you're more the AVB type right Scara?.... I bet you'd love to sit through one of his PowerPoint presentations eh?... you could even adopt his 'touchline squat' in homage to him as he mesmerizes you with the next slide coming in like a page being turned over. ;)

Last edited:
For what it's worth all other things being equal I would expect most managers would and should value being English in an English league as a plus point.

One of the reasons I love this squad is the amount of English players. I don't see this as xenophobic in the slightest.

Doesn't mean I don't appreciate the foreign players in the team but I would be disappointed if we had no English players in our team.
It's not about being English, it's about being suitable for the English league. Paulinho is probably better than Barkley, just FAR less suited to football here (nowhere near brave enough).

The problem is, that Englishness comes at a premium. One that could get a better player from overseas.
The problem there is that it can be a gamble whether or not they can adapt. The premium doesn't exist because of the nationality, it exists because it removes the gamble of whether the player can adapt, or perhaps more pertinently wants to adapt.

You said we'd been successful with our English purchases. How many English players have we spent a lot of money on?

Most of our successes with English players have come from players we've either developed here or bought at a very young age. That negates the English premium because an overpriced player at that end of the market doesn't hurt us.

You're not related to one Mr K. MacKenzie late of the Sun toilet paper?

The problem there is that it can be a gamble whether or not they can adapt. The premium doesn't exist because of the nationality, it exists because it removes the gamble of whether the player can adapt, or perhaps more pertinently wants to adapt.
Whilst there is a premium for players who have experience in this league, there's an added one of top of that for English players. Hopefully that will dwindle over time as the dinosaurs are forced out of the game.

The gamble of bringing in a player from overseas is becoming smaller with every year. The game in this country is finally beginning to catch up with the enlightened parts of the world and the spectacle is becoming all the better for it.

Whereas you're more the AVB type right Scara?.... I bet you'd love to sit through one of his PowerPoint presentations eh?... you could even adopt his 'touchline squat' in homage to him as he mesmerizes you with the next slide coming in like a page being turned over. ;)
I certainly value a triple digit IQ.

There's a very positive trend away from the old type of manager/pundit but they do still hang around stubbornly like a bad smell.

It's not about being English, it's about being suitable for the English league. Paulinho is probably better than Barkley, just FAR less suited to football here (nowhere near brave enough).
I think having a core of English players is desirable and beneficial as well as being suitable for the league

Back