• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ross Barkley

Erm. Being English isn't a beneficial thing.

He'll need to interchange with the other two if he's going to fit in here. He'll also have to get used to having a lot less time on the ball and much more packed defences to play against.

Erm, I disagree. Being English and playing with Harry and Dele is a massive advantage. As is his experience of, and record in, the English PL.

Time on the ball? I would suggest his close control in tight situations is great - and certainly much better than Lamela. You seem to forget that Lamela plays much wider than Barkley and there is a lot more room out wide.

A striker who shoots from anywhere.... like Harry Kane you mean?

Perhaps Barkley gets less assists than Alli because Kane is a better finisher than Lukaku? Maybe Alli gets more goals than Barkley because 'Lukaku is a striker wo never passes'? Maybe Alli gets more goals than Barkley because Everton 'only sit deep and play on the break' and therefore an Everton midfield player doesnt get nearly as much opportunity to receive the ball in the box as Alli does in our game where we have a lot posession around the penalty area? Maybe Alli gets more voals and assists as we spend more time in possession and in the opposition half/penalty area than Everton. Maybe it is because we have more creative players than Everton?

0.41 goals or assists per game is stlll a good number. Especially as IMO Barkley plays a little deeper than Alli does. What were Sissoko and Onomah's numbers?... as I suspect Barkley would be taking their place in the match day 18 as opppsed to Alli's starting place.
If he's coming in to replace Onomah/Sissoko at an Onomah/Sissoko price (not the silly money we paid for Sissoko) then I'm perfectly happy with the purchase.

The suggestion from many here and in the press is that we'll be paying Kyle Walker money for a player that will compete for a first team place with the likes of Erikesen and Alli.

Erm, I disagree. Being English and playing with Harry and Dele is a massive advantage. As is his experience of, and record in, the English PL.

Time on the ball? I would suggest his close control in tight situations is great - and certainly much better than Lamela. You seem to forget that Lamela plays much wider than Barkley and there is a lot more room out wide.
I think you and Alan Shearer would get on very well. Probably Sherwood too for that matter.

As I would with most sensible football pundits. And many PL managers, including our own. Those that don't comprehend the basics though are another matter.
:D
They're the dumbest pundit and the dumbest manager the world of football has ever seen.

Only if he rates Barkley for being English

And if he rates him sufficiently to buy him?

From your earlier post, you said you would be happy if we bought him at an Onomah/Sissoko price - whatever that is. I am confused, do you rate him or not ?

For what it's worth all other things being equal I would expect most managers would and should value being English in an English league as a plus point.

One of the reasons I love this squad is the amount of English players. I don't see this as xenophobic in the slightest.

Doesn't mean I don't appreciate the foreign players in the team but I would be disappointed if we had no English players in our team.

And if he rates him sufficiently to buy him?

From your earlier post, you said you would be happy if we bought him at an Onomah/Sissoko price - whatever that is. I am confused, do you rate him or not ?
I think he's a talented footballer who lacks a brain.

Poch has been able to overcome that with some players (Rose) but not others (Townsend). So it's a risk whether he can fix that aspect of his game. That's why I'm happy to replace Sissoko with him at a reasonable price.

But I don't think we should take that risk at the kind of prices people are suggesting, thats just not how we do business and precisely how we got into the Sissoko mess in the first place.

For what it's worth all other things being equal I would expect most managers would and should value being English in an English league as a plus point.

One of the reasons I love this squad is the amount of English players. I don't see this as xenophobic in the slightest.

Doesn't mean I don't appreciate the foreign players in the team but I would be disappointed if we had no English players in our team.
The problem is, that Englishness comes at a premium. One that could get a better player from overseas.

The problem is, that Englishness comes at a premium. One that could get a better player from overseas.

Looking at our recent transfer business, we have much more successful with purchases from English leagues. I would say our foreign purchases are much riskier with a far greater rate of failure.

If done correctly feel it gives an intangible benefit, scum with a strong character English core vs more talented without... Just got to make sure we chose dier over Bentley.

Looking at our recent transfer business, we have much more successful with purchases from English leagues. I would say our foreign purchases are much riskier with a far greater rate of failure.
Those purchases have been in the £1-10m range though. A 50% over valuation for being English doesn't really move the needle all that much in our financial terms.

At £20-30m it makes a big difference.

If done correctly feel it gives an intangible benefit, scum with a strong character English core vs more talented without... Just got to make sure we chose dier over Bentley.
Does Does really count as English in that sense?

He's played overseas for most of his career hasn't he? I'd say we get all the benefits of a foreign player with him - he just happens to have been born here.

Does Does really count as English in that sense?

He's played overseas for most of his career hasn't he? I'd say we get all the benefits of a foreign player with him - he just happens to have been born here.
Yes I think there is a cultural connection to the other English players in the team but could have replaced dier with winks (or used the players defoe over bent, similar talents but different mentalities).

The key is choosing the correct English player that adds the intangible benefit

Those purchases have been in the £1-10m range though. A 50% over valuation for being English doesn't really move the needle all that much in our financial terms.

At £20-30m it makes a big difference.
Goalposts moving all over the place here! Soldado, Jannsen, Njai, Fazio, NKD much more than 10m. Who says Barkley is 50% overvalued? Especially as we don't even know his eventual price!

Back