• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ross Barkley

If true, thanks but no thanks http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/evertons-ross-barkley-demanding-bigger-10825064

Ross Barkley wants £150,000-a-week to join Tottenham — more than they pay their star striker Harry Kane.

Spurs have baulked at the Everton midfielder’s pay demands, as Kane, winner of back-to-back Premier League Golden Boots, and their captain and goalkeeper Hugo Lloris are only on around £120,000-per-week each.

Lads, it's the Mirror.

I actually quite like him and think he would be a good solid addition the the midfield. I don't believe he would walk into the first team, but for me he makes the squad stronger.

If he wears the shirt I will support him, until he proves otherwise.

I don't think Wanyama was signed as a straight improvement on Dier. He gave us more options. Injuries to Alderweireld and Vertonghen also played a part. But it was also clear that Dier wasn't getting dropped at any point. Wanyama earned his place as the season progressed and stayed in. But I can't accept that he was signed at the expense of Dier. Never mind Winks as previously claimed.

Townsend was given a fair chance and plenty of game time. I think the players you mentioned were signed after it was clear he wouldn't make it. But he was given that chance. Same with Mason who was trusted and performed as a squad player up until the point out was decided he hadn't progressed sufficiently.

Onomah and Edwards haven't yet reached that level where they've been trusted with a real squad role (first or second choice). But under Pochettino that has happened with Kane, Bentaleb, Mason, Townsend, Dier, Alli and Winks. I imagine it's only a question of time before Onomah, Edwards, CCV or someone else joins that list. And when they do I expect they will fill a squad role that would otherwise have been filled by a new signing.

The question is whether these young players are ready to fill the squad and play important roles in our season, that you would expect of a player in a tight 22 man squad - I don't think that's the case as explained by what I see as a huge drop off in quality and experience once you get past the first 15 or 16 players and as previously stated if we want to keep ourselves in and around the title race and challenge in the cups then we need more quality in the squad - Winks is the only young player Pochettino seemingly trusts atm to give proper match time to and when you consider the minutes given to the likes of Bentaleb Mason and a Townsend previously it would suggest to me that he knows that our current batch of young players aren't close to the required quality for a side in our position - at the moment. So our choice is either improve the situation by making signings, which we have looked to do every single summer Poch has been here or just rely on the players already here, which there is no precedent for.

Essentially our first team becoming so good has put us ahead of schedule and moved the goal posts - we're not a side hoping to scrape in to the top four anymore we're a side looking to challenge on all fronts and if we don't do that at a minimum then I can't see us keeping the likes of Alli Kane Alderweireld Eriksen etc happy whilst we can't financially compensate them.

Last season showed unless we give a competition our full focus with our best available team we aren't getting very far which equates to our squad not being good enough and if this first XI breaks up over the next couple of years with nothing to show for it it will be a crying shame

Last edited:

We will not be bidding for the player if we hadn't already a good idea of his wage demands - whether that figure is close to the truth or not I don't know but if we are to believe that the club are in negotiations with Everton then it's safe to assume we are prepared to meet whatever wage demands Barkley has

Levy won't sign that off no way. He's a good player but it makes no sense to give him these wages when Kane has reached a level Barkley may not even reach in his career. Obviously take it with a pinch of salt as it's in the Mirror but we aren't ready to pay players £150k yet I don't think, not until we have our new stadium and the gate receipts grow.

Even at £100k on par with Kane and Lloris is probably too much IMO.

I think people will be suprised what we can pay our players with the new TV deal in place

I think the whole saga wouldnt have rumbled on so long this summer if some informal discussions hadnt already taken place with his agent about what he is looking for in wages.

The question is whether these young players are ready to fill the squad and play important roles in our season, that you would expect of a player in a tight 22 man squad - I don't think that's the case as explained by what I see as a huge drop off in quality and experience once you get past the first 15 or 16 players and as previously stated if we want to keep ourselves in and around the title race and challenge in the cups then we need more quality in the squad - Winks is the only young player Pochettino seemingly trusts atm to give proper match time to and when you consider the minutes given to the likes of Bentaleb Mason and a Townsend previously it would suggest to me that he knows that our current batch of young players aren't close to the required quality for a side in our position - at the moment. So our choice is either improve the situation by making signings, which we have looked to do every single summer Poch has been here or just rely on the players already here, which there is no precedent for.

Essentially our first team becoming so good has put us ahead of schedule and moved the goal posts - we're not a side hoping to scrape in to the top four anymore we're a side looking to challenge on all fronts and if we don't do that at a minimum then I can't see us keeping the likes of Alli Kane Alderweireld Eriksen etc happy whilst we can't financially compensate them.

Last season showed unless we give a competition our full focus with our best available team we aren't getting very far which equates to our squad not being good enough and if this first XI breaks up over the next couple of years with nothing to show for it it will be a crying shame

Poch very quickly sells young players he doesn't trust/rate, generally the summer they turn 21 (see every youth team player who has been on loan over the last 3 years).

Having Onomah and 2CV in the 22/25 man squad last season, and potentially KWP and Edwards this season, IMO says he trusts them a lot. He's just introducing them in an individually-tailored timescale directed by their development. Playing Onomah in a less pressured position than his best one (AM instead of CM) is part of this.

Poch very quickly sells young players he doesn't trust/rate, generally the summer they turn 21 (see every youth team player who has been on loan over the last 3 years).

Having Onomah and 2CV in the 22/25 man squad last season, and potentially KWP and Edwards this season, IMO says he trusts them a lot. He's just introducing them in an individually-tailored timescale directed by their development. Playing Onomah in a less pressured position than his best one (AM instead of CM) is part of this.

And that leaves the squad weak and unable to compete on all fronts

Edit : I see it's now a 25 man squad you're refering to when before it was an insistence on a 22 man squad, no more - im happy with young players in and around the fringes if they require the experience to improve of course - but when you insist on a 22 man squad as you have been for the past couple of seasons then it doesn't help the team to achieve its goals by taking up positions in a tight squad with young players who are not trusted to be used regularly. If they aren't going to be used regularly then get in players of the quality that can be used and relied upon in important games - this won't effect the progress of young players if they arent getting game time anyway and when/if they do show that they are ready on the training field then Pochettino has shown he will play them ahead of more established players, so there's little to any draw back and lots to be gained afaic

Last edited:
Back