• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker

i hope he stays and this is all rubbish, i remember making the argument a couple of years ago (probably in this very thread) that he was our most important player

he's improved a hell of a lot since then too, the hospital balls and dodgy back passes are nowhere near as frequent as they used to be

Check the reporting history of Jack Pitte-Brooke. He doesn't have a history of making stuff up to spite Spurs.

Nothing against him at all, but the Independent has a 27.5% success rate on transfer stories ( so that is just a little more then 1 in 4 right) I believe he also writes for the Evening Standard and that is as bad. It may happen it may not but i will not get my nickers in a twist like some fans do over ( so called) football news stories.

Each to their own though.

He's full-time with the 1st team now, since around the time of the trip you mentioned. He hasn't played U23s for the past few months.

Sure, that's what I figured - but, nonetheless, I don't think it means he's ready to be Trippier's backup in all competitions next season. He hasn't had a minute of competitive football anywhere outside of the youth teams, right? Better that be rectified first by giving him minutes in the early rounds of one of the cups next season - maybe even a full CL dead-rubber if we can manage qualification before the final game of the group. That sort of approach, combined with giving him scattered minutes over the rest of the season, will hopefully serve as a decent bit of experience we can build on to prep him for 18/19, when (if all goes well) we can transition him full-time into the backup RB role and potentially the first-choice RB role moving forward.

He was on a Spurs podcast there a few weeks ago https://audioboom.com/posts/5843373-extra-inch-s1e04-sweeper-keeper
Seems a decent chap. Talking about how he hoped Spurs win the semi final.

I've never seen him do much transfer story stuff before.

As for Walker. There's no replacing him. Trippier doesn't have anywhere near Walker's sheer physically.
Even on Sunday when he was only on for a few minutes you couldn't help marvel at that run he made.

Trippier is a good crosser but that's it.

Sorry mate I have to disagree. Trippier is more then just a good crosser. He has not let the team down in his defending or attacking ability.

His game plan was perfectly executed on Sunday. If it was not poch would have substituted him sooner. Didn't see him do much if any wrong as usual.

With walker you get an amazingly brilliant athlete pushing himself to that limit which is a great joy to watch.

If walker is to go to a club of our choice in dealing, I'm confident that we are in a win win situation. Trippier has not once kicked up a fuss and remained determined and professional, exactly the sort of personality that is required to play for poch.

In top of that walker will command a premium fee and we can use them funds to strengthen the team elsewhere knowing trippier is a safe bet.

We could spend a decent wedge on an understudy or a RB capable of challenging trippier with perhaps more potential.

All of the best teams cope with losses. We have ready made players that have been involved on merit in that first team at one time or another.

Bang on point.
It is a year too soon for KWP...if he goes I'd be happy to see us go Bertrand personally, he and Trippier would both do a fine job. It would cost us but I think we could get him.
I don't see Poch letting this drag on past mid-June. By the time we are back in pre-season, this will have been sorted one way or another...

If you'll remember, I suggested unjustly making Walker a sacrificial lamb for our end-of-season collapse last year, as a Fergie-esque way to build a fear of failure in the side - it's because I saw him as the least irreplaceable of our first eleven. That still holds, I guess - he's come on in leaps and bounds and really become an outstanding, hard-working, committed member of the side, but a) there are still other RBs we can get to smooth over the (hopefully) long-term transition from him to KWP, b) Trippier's a very acceptable backup and could likely hold his own in that RWB slot full-time for a season or so if necessary, and c) there are currently more talented RBs out there than there are left-backs - much like there are more RCBs out there than there are LCBs. Thus, if we *had* to lose one of our dynamic duo, I'd rather lose Walker than Rose.

One thing's for sure, though - if Walker leaves, it's because Poch wants him gone, and not because he thinks he can swan in and out of the club with no issues. And, given that situation and his very long contract, I suspect the windfall we receive from his (possible) sale could be used to get a genuinely top-class player in an alternate position that would usually be outside our price range (50m mark, perhaps), or at least an RB of equivalent skill and potential.

I don't see why your view of KWP would be any different this time next year if he were to spend the season not playing though, which is what would happen if you were to bring in another RB. You'd then be faced with the decision as to which RB to sell, but then why would you want to sell one of them to make room for a kid who hasn't played? At some point you'll need to take that leap of faith but I don't think pushing it a year down the line will make it any easier.

I think it is about training week in week out with the first-team squad for a full 12 months or so, knowing how it is, knowing what everyone does, understanding the direction the peas get passed at the dinner table with The Family, that sort of thing. Poch will undoubtably unleash him in the next 12 months, but I don't know if we will do so as an understudy to Trippier. What we might see is Walker kept for one more season to allow KWP to make the step up. They have high, high hopes for him as you know...

Nothing against him at all, but the Independent has a 27.5% success rate on transfer stories ( so that is just a little more then 1 in 4 right) I believe he also writes for the Evening Standard and that is as bad. It may happen it may not but i will not get my nickers in a twist like some fans do over ( so called) football news stories.

Each to their own though.

No twisty knickers I agree. Do we trust the manager? Yes. He has us in good hands.

If you'll remember, I suggested unjustly making Walker a sacrificial lamb for our end-of-season collapse last year, as a Fergie-esque way to build a fear of failure in the side - it's because I saw him as the least irreplaceable of our first eleven. That still holds, I guess - he's come on in leaps and bounds and really become an outstanding, hard-working, committed member of the side, but a) there are still other RBs we can get to smooth over the (hopefully) long-term transition from him to KWP, b) Trippier's a very acceptable backup and could likely hold his own in that RWB slot full-time for a season or so if necessary, and c) there are currently more talented RBs out there than there are left-backs - much like there are more RCBs out there than there are LCBs. Thus, if we *had* to lose one of our dynamic duo, I'd rather lose Walker than Rose.

One thing's for sure, though - if Walker leaves, it's because Poch wants him gone, and not because he thinks he can swan in and out of the club with no issues. And, given that situation and his very long contract, I suspect the windfall we receive from his (possible) sale could be used to get a genuinely top-class player in an alternate position that would usually be outside our price range (50m mark, perhaps), or at least an RB of equivalent skill and potential.

I do remember you writing this and you could well have been amazingly on the ball there - this almost looks to be exactly what Poch is doing.

I do remember you writing this and you could well have been amazingly on the ball there - this almost looks to be exactly what Poch is doing.

If it happens it won't be because he necessary wants to, it's because he won't have an unsettled player in such a tight-knit group remain being around and unsettled for too long.
I PERSONALLY think Kyle should remember where he was 3 seasons ago with the degenerative hip issue, how the club have both stuck by him AND put together the right fitness programs and how it might play out wherever he potentially ends up...

If it happens it won't be because he necessary wants to, it's because he won't have an unsettled player in such a tight-knit group remain being around and unsettled for too long.
I PERSONALLY think Kyle should remember where he was 3 seasons ago with the degenerative hip issue, how the club have both stuck by him AND put together the right fitness programs and how it might play out wherever he potentially ends up...
yay and nay, Kyle has given a lot to us, I wont begrudge him a move if its what he wants - providing it is on our terms and he doesn't do anything to force/screw us over. Been a good player for us.

Well, I seem to have gotten something right, at least. Mind, if Poch followed my advice, he'd have done it last year, and we would have headed into this season with Trippier and Michail Antonio or someone at right-back - somehow I doubt we'd be as well-off as we currently are in that alternate scenario. ;)

Walker's contributed a hell of a lot this season, and he's been a good servant to the club throughout his career here more broadly. But the dynamics of the transfer market are such that we could perhaps replace him more easily than we could replace some other key players, so making an example of him or otherwise moving him on if that's what Poch wants makes sense in a cold, logical way. It very much remains to be seen if that's the path all parties choose to walk down, however.

I wonder if Poch has almost done 'too' well at improving these players to a level too quickly, before we can pay them what they deserve? Hopefully we're still in control, and this Walker thing is an example of us being in control rather than the wheels coming up, ever so slightly.

Goes without saying that I'm delighted we won yesterday and I do like Trippier, his crossing is outstanding but there's a time and a place to play him, I don't think a NLD counts as one of them but it's a gamble that thankfully paid off. Can't for one moment think it was a tactical decision. I hope Walker does stay as he's a better defender than Trippier but even if you ignore all of the press speculation, judging by Poch's recent team selection then it doesn't look good for Walker staying. I guess the West Ham starting lineup will be another indication of what may happen in the summer.

I think collectively we all need to upgrade our appreciation of Trippier. He joined on a low fee from a relegated Burnley, totally unglamorous and most definitely a back up, but every single time he has played, particularly this season, I've seen most people who comment on him say how well he has done, how fantastic his crossing is, how unlucky he is that he has Walker ahead of him.

I think it's come to the point that Trippier has really stepped up and improved, at the same point as Walker thinking it's the right time for
him to move on. But he's got the exact type of mentality that means he will continue to do really well for us. He's always done well when called upon.

To be honest I'm not that worried about losing full backs under Poch, especially right backs. If you look back over his career in England, he has developed a steady stream of highly-regarded, International-level full backs: Shaw, Clyne, Bertrand, Rose and to a lesser extent Walker.

If Trippier were to become first choice, I'm sure it wouldn't be long before he got his call-up. Equally I think KWP would adapt quickly to the back-up role under Poch's guidance.

Obviously Walker is a beast and losing him would do some damage, but he is much older than any of our attacking players, who would be much harder to replace.

Hopefully by the time they are peaking we are winning everything in sight.

To be honest I'm not that worried about losing full backs under Poch, especially right backs. If you look back over his career in England, he has developed a steady cat video on youtube of highly-regarded, International-level full backs: Shaw, Clyne, Bertrand, Rose and to a lesser extent Walker.

If Trippier were to become first choice, I'm sure it wouldn't be long before he got his call-up. Equally I think KWP would adapt quickly to the back-up role under Poch's guidance.

Obviously Walker is a beast and losing him would do some damage, but he is much older than any of our attacking players, who would be much harder to replace.

Hopefully by the time they are peaking we are winning everything in sight.

Excellent point. I'd argue he did develop Walker though.

I'm of the opinion that KWP is a season undercooked but he'll get plenty of opportunity to grow next season as Trippier's understudy. Poch can work on him and you never know, our record at bring youth into the first eleven is excellent in recent years.

Get 50m for Walker, let Guardiola make another defensive mistake (because lets be honest Walker is not the answer to their shambles of a back four) and plough the funds into the squad. If an upgrade on Tripper arises, so be it but I would be happy letting him have a go under Poch's instruction at being a replacement for Walker. We'd benefit from not having countless crosses sail over the goal and probably boost Kane/Alli's goal count.

Howeevr, it is worth considering that the bigger pitch at Wembley would suit Walker, not only from a running into space perspective but some of his crosses wouldn't go out of play with the increased width.

I saw one website suggest that if we sell Walker then we should go after this chap:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabinho_(footballer,_born_1993)

Would fit the mould of player who we go for - young, proven but not in one of the major leagues etc. 1 in 5 scoring record at Monaco! Question is whether we could get him for materially less than we get for Walker.

His Champions League performances will have put him in the shop window for the bigger boys. Wouldn't be surprised if City got him and Walker!

Back