• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

At first I cursed when I saw the operation news. But I agree with the other posters who said this is a good thing in the long run. I like Lamela a lot. Some say he just runs around like a headless chicken... anyone who says this clearly has never played the sport.

As for which system suits him best, I'd really like for us to be fluent with other systems besides our 3-4-2-1 (or whatever the hell you want to call it). In fact, this current formation we've been playing in is the foreign one as I can't recall many times in the past that we've run 3 at the back. And Poch has changed the formation in the middle of play, with near immediate impact. That's why we have a squad of players and I think this unpredictability might give opposition managers more of a headache than they're used to.

Nothing hideous about it.

I know what the club released publicly through the media. A clear scan on his hip 2 months ago. Lamela still complaining of pain in training a month ago. An operation today. That's a fudge up.

Personally I think the club hung him out to dry not releasing more details of his injury while journalists and pricks on twitter wrote all sorts of rumours and innuendo about him.

I like your posts. But on this topic you have to respect the complexity of the human body. Medicine is not an exact science. The operation may not address whatever is causing the pain. People get all sorts of issues which the very best docs - and of course we will engage the very best with a circa £30m asset - can't always cure. Like Ledley, the best docs may not have a solution. Touch wood the surgery and long rest will bring him back, but he may have issues which can't so easily be sorted, otherwise we would have done whatever was needed 6 months ago.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

There is also the possibility that the initial diagnostics didn't show up anything conclusive, the club/doctors said let's operate anyway and have a root around and see what we find, and Erik said, hold on a minute I don't really fancy having you lot root around in my hip just in case something's wrong, why don't I try and rehab it without an operation. Fast forward a few months, when Erik is forced to reply to same request with, Fair cop guv. root around all you like.

Not going to start blaming the club in relation to this, I think our medical team are far improved from 10-15 years ago and I don't believe he has been hung out to dry. The club have obviously hoped for the best in believing with the player I would expect, that rest and recuperation was the best way forward if nothing was showing specifically.

Injuries and the subsequent rehab don't always go to plan, two people can have the exact same injury and react totally different to the plan for rehab. You can also get referred pain as result of the body sparing the injured area that could be elsewhere away from the hip and that may not show particularly on scans if it isn't displaying any real inflammation.

One of those things that sometimes occur, on another occasion the avoidance of an operation and the subsequent extended recovery would have been avoided by rest and preventative rehab. I think any criticisms of the club and/or the player about how this has played out is bizarre quite frankly. Both parties will have wanted nothing other than the best case scenario for Erik Lamela and as for the tittle tattle opined by the tabloids or people on social media.......well that would happen regardless of what was put out by the club anyway.

Wish him all the best with the operation and hope he can recover physically and mentally with a nice rest over the summer before returning for pre season and playing a big part in a massive 2017/18 campaign for the club.

I think it's fair to say that the club's medical department should be a bit red-faced over all this.

Why wasn't surgery opted for weeks, if not months ago? The entire handling of the situation, letting him jet off to Rome, it all feels a bit negligent.

Either way now it's out in the open let's get Erik back fit and firing for next season. He's a big influence on our squad when on form, so I just want to see him back playing.

And for fudges sake, can we please stop suggesting that he's somehow deliberately screwing the club over and should be sold immediately? It's clearly a complex medical issue.

Let's do our job and support the guy.

I think it's fair to say that the club's medical department should be a bit red-faced over all this.

Why wasn't surgery opted for weeks, if not months ago? The entire handling of the situation, letting him jet off to Rome, it all feels a bit negligent.

Either way now it's out in the open let's get Erik back fit and firing for next season. He's a big influence on our squad when on form, so I just want to see him back playing.

And for fudges sake, can we please stop suggesting that he's somehow deliberately screwing the club over and should be sold immediately? It's clearly a complex medical issue.

I would imagine because they wouldn't have been aware of what, if anything, needed an operation? He had scans that showed nothing untoward so the initial part of this operation on Saturday is likely to be exploratory. I would imagine they expected the rest and recuperation option was going to be quicker than an op and recovery which it would have been had Lamela come back into the fold by January as an example. it's also something that the player will have agreed with and had a certain amount of input with.

The player himself may have felt more comfortable with this route as well, we just don't know. Deciding to bite the bullet now doesn't mean the medical department were in the wrong, it just means that course of action failed to give the desired result in this instance.

I would imagine because they wouldn't have been aware of what, if anything, needed an operation? He had scans that showed nothing untoward so the initial part of this operation on Saturday is likely to be exploratory. I would imagine they expected the rest and recuperation option was going to be quicker than an op and recovery which it would have been had Lamela come back into the fold by January as an example. it's also something that the player will have agreed with and had a certain amount of input with.

The player himself may have felt more comfortable with this route as well, we just don't know. Deciding to bite the bullet now doesn't mean the medical department were in the wrong, it just means that course of action failed to give the desired result in this instance.

Totally fair and reasonable, but I'm no medical expert so I can't verify any of this with certainty.

I just hope our supporter base can cease with the ridiculous targeted accusations and demands of jettison from the club.

As mentioned previously, let's support the guy. Here's to a successful operation and speedy recovery.

Well since I commented we haven't missed him you have called me a bellend and wasting who know how much of your time messing around with mr men cartoons.

I'm really expecting an apology and then you can go back in this thread and read what I have had to say about lamella.

You've got as much chance of me wearing a Scum shirt and kissing the badge.

If you think I'm apologising for defending an injured player from the sort of ridiculous posts that have been coming from supposed fans on this thread you're very wrong. Some of the fans on this forum, accusing Lamela of being a coke head and ready for being flogged back to Italy; it's pathetic Chinese whispers with not factual base.

We might not have managed his injury well within the Club but he's still one of our better players and he appears to actually care about the Club. He's also a damn fine footballer. I look forward to him proving doubters wrong next season.

Totally fair and reasonable, but I'm no medical expert so I can't verify any of this with certainty.

I just hope our supporter base can cease with the ridiculous targeted accusations and demands of jettison from the club.

As mentioned previously, let's support the guy. Here's to a successful operation and speedy recovery.

Agreed. Don't see what the problem is other than its an injury that is taking longer than expected to clear up. He will be back when he is back, we haven't missed him in the sense that we have obviously done well anyway although he would have given us more depth and another option but it is what it is.

Looking forward to seeing him fit in August and raring to go.

The Spurs medical team completely fudged up on this one. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a load of bad blood between and Lamela and them. I can see him wanting to leave the club after this.

You know, there is a rumor that he was told a long while back to have an operation and he refused, citing that he wanted to rehab. Thus why he was allowed to go to Roma. Then the family tragedy. This one 'might' be on lamely for perhaps refusing an op and wanting to rehab instead? I have no inside information, this is just another of the many rumors which have been going around.

EDIT: apologies to ringo who I have just seen said virtually the same thing before I posted

Surgery is always the last option for any doctor - from 89 year old grannies to £30M footballers. They'll do everything they can to avoid it, in this case maybe it failed. There are undoubtedly many many instances where it doesn't.

You know, there is a rumor that he was told a long while back to have an operation and he refused, citing that he wanted to rehab. Thus why he was allowed to go to Roma. Then the family tragedy. This one 'might' be on lamely for perhaps refusing an op and wanting to rehab instead? I have no inside information, this is just another of the many rumors which have been going around.

EDIT: apologies to ringo who I have just seen said virtually the same thing before I posted
I was going to ask if this could be the case. How do we know whether it was the club or Lamela's doctors of both that didn't want the surgery?

That's the thing rumour after rumour came out all of them with an anti Lamela slant. Who briefed Matt Law with the stupid dog thing (there's no way he just invented it himself).

To me it doesn't make sense that a club would insist on an op and the player refusing. The club always want the player as back as soon as possible.
Look at Mason last season they made him play thought injury with injection after injection. He would have been better off with an op at the start but the club needed him and got him to soldier through it all while getting abuse from fans about his performances.

That's the thing rumour after rumour came out all of them with an anti Lamela slant. Who briefed Matt Law with the stupid dog thing (there's no way he just invented it himself).

To me it doesn't make sense that a club would insist on an op and the player refusing. The club always want the player as back as soon as possible.
Look at Mason last season they made him play thought injury with injection after injection. He would have been better off with an op at the start but the club needed him and got him to soldier through it all while getting abuse from fans about his performances.

You make some very good points actually; interested to read any counter points to this tbh

good wine + good music + big picture perspective whilst toodling thru this thread = don't give a flying farthing about this situation or player anymore.

If he comes back to play? Great. If he gets sold on? Great. He's in limbo and someone else has stepped up to take his place. Fine. Let's get anxious about summink what really matters, eh?

Well you have just questioned whether Siggurdsson would come here to play second fiddle and in other posts you've said you want someone more similar to Eriksen than Lamela in the squad - so it follows that you realise we can't get someone as good as Siggurdsson to play back up but want to do it anyway - or have I got it wrong and you're happy with Lamela?

Edit: don't know much about Brandt but a cursory look just now suggests he's a left midfielder? Not sure that'd solve the problem you think we have - have to say it does come across a case of 'anyone but Lamela' for a few of you

No, I don't think Sig would be happy to come back here (a club where it didn't work out for him the first time) to more than likely be on the bench 70% of the time. I would actually like to see us sign someone who is going challenge the likes of Eriksen and Lamela, not just be their backup. Toby was arguably the last player we signed with the intention of slotting into the starting eleven straight away, Wanyama has been immense but not too sure if he was signed with the intention of being first choice immediately but his performances have made it impossible for him for Poch not to pick him. Was it not you that said "you need to sign better backups, you don't try to replace first team players"?

I see Lamela as a good player but I'm not as taken with him as some on here clearly are and if we can get an upgrade on him for a realistic price, we should do it. It's not a case of "anyone but Lamela" for me but his injury record is a concern.

No I don't think I said that - think I said to improve the squad you sell the weaker/weakest players and sign players to compete for the first team (in response to someone saying we should sell a first team player to improve the squad whilst keeping the weaker option for whatever position it was)

I think we have as strong a set of players for the two positions behind Kane as we are likely to find and that we don't need to improve in this area - we currently struggle for creativity when Eriksen is out but that is because we have also got to contend with Lamely being injured - if he was fit it wouldn't be an issue, or at least it shouldn't be an issue (there's always the chance he wouldn't carry on hus performance level from the season before)

Right now our focus on the attacking areas should be to upgrade on Sissoko and N'jie/N'koudou to give us a stronger wide/pacy options

That is all with the assumption that Lamela has no off the field problems and the club think he's able to continue his progress from last season

Wanyama was signed for the first team BTW - came in and has started every single league game from the beginning - as clear a first team signing as you're likely to see. You could also argue that Son/Sissoko as big money deals were signed with the view to challenger for first team positions - only really been two summers that Poch has had here, if you discount the summer he arrived (and probably had little input on transfers)

Last edited:
Back