• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Came up short today, was more than a little naïve. Playing a side that everyone has figured out, stay back, don't let them get behind you, then hit with a ball over the top. Instead we play high, let them get behind us repeatedly, and then try to play out the back with short balls keeping us under pressure and helping their pressing game.

I have a ton of respect for Poch, but got it completely wrong today.

I'd say it's the next hurdle he needs to overcome as a manager - he has overcome several so far during his time with us and given time I expect him to find the solution here too

Yes. Yes he did. And what I find amusing is that he can brilliantly suss out the weaknesses of Antonio Conte's set-up (focusing on Alli ghosting in behind Moses and Azpilicueta to win headers), but gets shown up against Klopp repeatedly. :p

Out away record is shocking this season. 4 away wins in the league.
Poch has 1 away win against the current top 6 in his 3 seasons at the club.

You really have to fear whats gonna happen next season without the WHL atmosphere.
I think we'll struggle next season and the one after.

If we werent moving this would be the time to get stronger players to help our first XI and kick on.
But instead we are gonna struggle moving grounds.

Nice guy doing a great job at Spurs.

Is he a winner though? Does he have the ruthlessness, the intelligence, to outfox opponents in big moments/games that matter.

Is he a winner though? Does he have the ruthlessness, the intelligence, to outfox opponents in big moments/games that matter.

Being polite, that is a overly simplistic way of looking at things ..

Let me answer your question another way, put Aquero or Bale or DeBruyne in this side, and he would be a "winner"

Perhaps you will see the "math" behind my answer.

Let me answer your question another way, put Aquero or Bale or DeBruyne in this side, and he would be a "winner"

None of whom would press to Poch's liking. They'd all be benched for Winks, Janssen and Son within the week. ;)

Came up short today, was more than a little naïve. Playing a side that everyone has figured out, stay back, don't let them get behind you, then hit with a ball over the top. Instead we play high, let them get behind us repeatedly, and then try to play out the back with short balls keeping us under pressure and helping their pressing game.

Have to agree, but nobody's perfect. And we're still second. COYS.

For me, if someone was benched for Winks, it would be a good move anyway.

After today winks deserves to start next prem game. Dembele was awful.

For me poch should have brought him on at HT And I would have started with him to beef up our midfield 3 and allow dembele to cover that left hand side. Today poch picked the wrong side and we got what we deserved. Saying the performance and the lack of any fight in the second half was just unacceptable

Does this game matter any more than the ones in which we have beaten rivals? City/Chelsea/Arsenal have been defeated by us under Pochettino, convincingly so as well - can't expect it every time

If we had Bale or Debruyne or Aguero we still would have been blown away by Liverpool tonight

The tactics were just wrong. Away from home against our top 4 rivals we most of the time are never at the races. The same in cup games domestically and in europe.

He had a whole week to prepare the team to face Liverpool. It's been shown clearly the way to play them is to sit deep, deny them space behind and hit them on the break. It's not rocket science.

I don't want to knock him as he is doing a grand job. It's just that next step he needs to take. Chelsea at home where he went with a formation and tactics to outfox Conte was the first time I've seen Poch adapt his ways out of respect for the opposition. I thought wow he is maturing but then we get this tonight which was pathetic on so many
levels.

With the players we now have it will be disappointing if we don't win a trophy or two and have a few more seasons of CL football. To do that though Poch needs to get his tactics right in the big games.

If we had Bale or Debruyne or Aguero we still would have been blown away by Liverpool tonight

The tactics were just wrong. Away from home against our top 4 rivals we most of the time are never at the races. The same in cup games domestically and in europe.

He had a whole week to prepare the team to face Liverpool. It's been shown clearly the way to play them is to sit deep, deny them space behind and hit them on the break. It's not rocket science.

I don't want to knock him as he is doing a grand job. It's just that next step he needs to take. Chelsea at home where he went with a formation and tactics to outfox Conte was the first time I've seen Poch adapt his ways out of respect for the opposition. I thought wow he is maturing but then we get this tonight which was pathetic on so many
levels.

With the players we now have it will be disappointing if we don't win a trophy or two and have a few more seasons of CL football. To do that though Poch needs to get his tactics right in the big games.

That's just not true - away to Chelsea we drew last season and lost 2-1 in a close game this year, away to Arsenal we haven't been out played, away to City we have won convincinly and drawn rather fortunately and last season were unlucky to lose to United on the season opener (didn't see this seasons game, but score doesn't suggest we were that out of the game) Liverpool we seem to struggle against admittedly but you're over egging things by saying we are never at the races away to our rivals - it's quite rare that we turn in performances like this evening and are usually well in the game even if we more often than not come up short

levels.

He does - at home. You do realise that this is only his 3rd defeat all season in the PL . You do realise we are still second? You do realise that klopp is unbeaten against Wenger, Mourinho, Conte and Guardiola this season, having beaten 2 on their home patch. Today was a very bad day at the office but it's small time for fans to come out and question the guy's entire philosophy based on this result.

Yes. Yes he did. And what I find amusing is that he can brilliantly suss out the weaknesses of Antonio Conte's set-up (focusing on Alli ghosting in behind Moses and Azpilicueta to win headers), but gets shown up against Klopp repeatedly. :p
Klopp is the only manager who has repeatedly bettered Poch. Even then this is his first win in 4 prem games against Poch. I am sure Poch will figure it out. But if the solution was so simple to beating Klopp's Liverpool then perhaps the likes of Wenger, Conte, Mourinho and Guardiola would have figured it out already.

Back