• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

Irrespective of level and how well he played today, his style of play simply isn't suitable for us. He's infinitely more comfortable with his back to goal rather than facing goal and we need someone who can also run in behind defenders and run at them as Kane can. Given we have the majority of possession in games, his style doesnt work for us. Therefore, whilst I like him and think he's a genuine, honest player who is giving 110%, I don't think he's right for us so we need another CF

Many of his goals last season he is running onto balls, beating the offside trap. It's a key part of his game. Kane will drop deep, turn and run with the ball, that isn't Janssens game.
But we don't play balls beyond the defence for Janssen. Having Alli on might have helped.

The part of the game where villa tired and space opened up, he was off the pitch. For 60 mins I though Sissoko was involved far less (one early run of note that came to nothing) and Son fluffed better openings that Janssen had, within the hour.

Given chances it will come for him. It might be at another club however as it's hard without regular games. Poch maybe works best with players who are ballsy but need guidance. Janssen needs belief, confidence and time.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Bite the bullet, find an alternative and loan him out to Sunderland. It would do him the world of good to get regular games and I could see him linking up well with Defoe. At the same time, we would find out one way or the other whether it's worth persisting with him longer term. I know Pochettino's thoughts about the evils of other coaches, but it didn't do Rose any harm going there. He just isn't in a good way IMO. I felt for him today; he was trying his socks off without a lot of help, but I worry these Groundhog Day cameos in the FA Cup or the Europa are as likely to destroy his confidence altogether as they are to be the catalyst he needs.

Bite the bullet, find an alternative and loan him out to Sunderland. It would do him the world of good to get regular games and I could see him linking up well with Defoe. At the same time, we would find out one way or the other whether it's worth persisting with him longer term. I know Pochettino's thoughts about the evils of other coaches, but it didn't do Rose any harm going there. He just isn't in a good way IMO. I felt for him today; he was trying his socks off without a lot of help, but I worry these Groundhog Day cameos in the FA Cup or the Europa are as likely to destroy his confidence altogether as they are to be the catalyst he needs.

I actually thought a loan to another prem club would do him good. I think the is a player in there but he needs 25 top flight games before he is ready for us.

I think it's way too early to write him off.

We've all seen plenty of young players who come in from another league who need some time.

Obviously his confidence is shot and that won't be easy to turn around, especially knowing his game time will be limited as we tend to play one up top.

I hope we as a club and as a set of fans can give him the support he needs.

That is my point...Soldado was doing far, far better than Janssen. He was also getting in assists. He did score some goals from open play too.
??????????

Soldado was absolutely awful. We would hVe been better with a traffic cone up top. Couldn't hold the ball up, had an average work rate and rarely got involved in the build up. He also gradually began to hide and when he did get a chance he missed it.

Jansen struggled today but he has shown something we can work with.... Although Id love is to replace him with someone who had movement in behind

It's a cliche but a couple of balls bouncing off his arse and into the net would do him the world of good.

I agree on him making the runs. Maybe it is something that can be worked on in training, get him to forget dropping deep and pulling wide for a bit and just concentrate on getting into the six yard box.
The first part won't happen unless he occupies the 6 yard box more frequently. Completely agree with your second point. Shearer summed it up well. Jannsen runs to the ball too often rather than making runs into the danger zone (like Dele Alli does). In addition his team mates do not release the ball to him quick enough when he does run towards goal. At the moment it is hard to see what kind of striker he is - a create something out of nothing striker like Kane, Keane or Defoe or a poacher like Lineker and the Soldado who played in Spain.

Agree with most of that. I do feel for the lad. I think he is a good player but we are not getting the most out of him. I really would like to see us bring in someone like berahino.

The first part won't happen unless he occupies the 6 yard box more frequently. Completely agree with your second point. Shearer summed it up well. Jannsen runs to the ball too often rather than making runs into the danger zone (like Dele Alli does). In addition his team mates do not release the ball to him quick enough when he does run towards goal. At the moment it is hard to see what kind of striker he is - a create something out of nothing striker like Kane, Keane or Defoe or a poacher like Lineker and the Soldado who played in Spain.

He is actually like shearer from what i saw of him last year and on the random highlight videos

But bizzarrely for me is acting as a hold up player akin to Andy Carroll

What I don't get is why we play the perfect balls that would work for him when he is taken off... that cross for Davies was exactly what Jansenn feeds off IMO

I also think Poch got it massively wrong today playing a defensive formation against a really poor side. We played 3 centre backs and could have got away with 1!!!

Asked if his striker had struggled, Pochettino said: "It is true but look again at the game we played against Chelsea. Both the strikers struggled in the first half, Diego Costa and Harry Kane.

"In the second half he started to find better space to play but we decided to put Alli on.

"It was tough but not only for him. He needs to work hard and not be frustrated."

From an expert.

I agree his style of play needs players running off him to take advantage of his hold up play. He did not have a good game today and the harder he tried the more things went wrong for him.

And in a squad that started nine changes from the previous game, was he ever going to go out and rip the joint? No one can say they covered themselves in glory today.

The greatest achievement today was avoiding a replay, something Villa was desperate for to give their despondent fans a boost.

Have a feeling he's going to keep struggling for us and then hit form after we've sold him to Burnley or someone.

Clearly looks like he's got some ability but seems to be on a completely different wavelength to the rest of the team. Not sure how to fix that.

In any case, we're in no position to sell him if Kane is our only other striker. Give him till the end of the year at least and then evaluate.

I just posted in the match thread, I'd still give him time -- BUT if he doesn't show a bit more promise when he gets the chance to play, I don't think Poch will play him, and he'll go with Son as the alternate striker. He was poor today.

Asked if his striker had struggled, Pochettino said: "It is true but look again at the game we played against Chelsea. Both the strikers struggled in the first half, Diego Costa and Harry Kane.

"In the second half he started to find better space to play but we decided to put Alli on.

"It was tough but not only for him. He needs to work hard and not be frustrated."

From an expert.

Tbf Poch is hardly going to slate Janssen. The problem is not how hard he is working either. It's also hardly helpful to compare to 2 very good strikers such as Kane and Costa who both score regularly but were having off games. That is hardly the case with Janssen.

I am not here to slate Janssen btw. But it is clear that he is not working at the moment and apart from very few snatched chances doesn't look like getting goal scoring opportunities let alone scoring.

But you are right Poch is the expert so he needs to find a solution. That solution is not to tell Janssen just to "work hard."

And in a squad that started nine changes from the previous game, was he ever going to go out and rip the joint? No one can say they covered themselves in glory today.

The greatest achievement today was avoiding a replay, something Villa was desperate for to give their despondent fans a boost.

Disagree as I thought winks was brilliant

I cant be arsed reading the last few pages but i think Janssen is a bit stuck, like Soldado he needs to play to his strengths and simply playing him in cup games in the second choice 11 isnt going to do him any favours. But how can we put him in the first team over Kane? This was always going to be the issue with any second striker.

Unfortunately, like Soldado, he is spending most of his time running the channels rather than being in the box. If anything, Janssen needs to be more lazy and stand in the middle. Easier said than done.

Perhaps he will come good next year?

I've been a critic of this guy from day one, i'm no scout but it was clear for me he was a standout player in an inferior eredivise these days and this is a level too high for him. Top players create chances thru their movement, VJ has very little pace to run at defenders and sees the offside flag a lot, he was played as an orthodox Centre forward today and we were absolutely toothless against a championship side in the first half today.

I could go on but I won't, he should be playing for a side like Villa, not us.

What I dont get is that some really good defenders come out of the dutch league but the strikers can be a bit hit and miss, surely the is a way to better scout the strikers, did Jansssen only score against the cr*p teams out there?

What I dont get is that some really good defenders come out of the dutch league but the strikers can be a bit hit and miss, surely the is a way to better scout the strikers, did Jansssen only score against the cr*p teams out there?

No and he scored a variety of goals as he has done at international level

Two big differences though

He is the main man for club and country in Holland (not here)

And they play him in quicker... much quicker

When he starts for us everyone else becomes pedestrian in their passing

Back