• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Turgid Mk II?

What do people think turgid actually means!?
Good point Lemmy

Interestingly Google says it means all sorts of strange things... I always thought it meant dull and not really going anywhere fast
  1. swollen and distended or congested.
    "a turgid and fast-moving river"
    synonyms: swollen, congested; More

2. (of language or style) tediously pompous or bombastic.
    "some turgid verses on the death of Prince Albert"
    synonyms: bombastic, pompous, overblown, overripe, inflated, high-flown, affected, pretentious,grandiose, florid, flowery, ornate, magniloquent, grandiloquent, rhetorical, oratorical,orotund; More
I certainly wouldn't describe AVB's team as bombastic, grandiose, florid, nor fast-moving

Maybe I was thinking of torpid, back when this term was coined

mentally or physically inactive; lethargic.
"we sat around in a torpid state"
synonyms: lethargic, sluggish, inert, inactive, slow, slow-moving, lifeless, dull, listless, languid, lazy,idle, indolent, shiftless, slothful, heavy, stagnant, somnolent, sleepy, tired, fatigued,languorous, apathetic, passive, supine, comatose, narcotic

I think you're ridiculously underestimating Dier.

The amount of times I've seen him receive the ball and pass it forward first time with pace is high. Very underrated passer in the central midfield role. Dembele is also a MUCH different animal to when we were under AVB (especially in AVBs second season when Sandro was injured).

It is apparent that sometimes we don't play quickly, we slow it down and allow the opposition to get 10 men behind the ball, then we flaccidly pass it around amongst ourselves before pawing weakly at the locked door with our soft coc.k.

Another way of diagnosing the lack of quick vertical penetration (oo-er) is to count the number of touches each player takes. If we play 1 or 2 touch and get the ball into the forwards asap, we are far more likely to catch their defence off guard.

It is apparent that sometimes we don't play quickly, we slow it down and allow the opposition to get 10 men behind the ball, then we flaccidly pass it around amongst ourselves before pawing weakly at the locked door with our soft coc.k.

Another way of diagnosing the lack of quick vertical penetration (oo-er) is to count the number of touches each player takes. If we play 1 or 2 touch and get the ball into the forwards asap, we are far more likely to catch their defence off guard.
You failed to get the word "limp" in.

I'm really disappointed / concerned that Poch's philosophy is noticeably shifting towards obsessively passing it out short from the back, to dominate possession. Our biggest strength under Poch has been our pressing, but the higher our possession is the less chances we'll have to press! Indeed, we end up inviting the press against us by passing it around our defenders and goalkeeper.

I want to see us go back to quick direct passing, where we know that if we lose it we'll just press and win it high up the pitch anyway.

I'm really disappointed / concerned that Poch's philosophy is noticeably shifting towards obsessively passing it out short from the back, to dominate possession. Our biggest strength under Poch has been our pressing, but the higher our possession is the less chances we'll have to press! Indeed, we end up inviting the press against us by passing it around our defenders and goalkeeper.

I want to see us go back to quick direct passing, where we know that if we lose it we'll just press and win it high up the pitch anyway.

There's some recent comments from Kane talking about how different it is this season because all teams are dropping deep and letting us have the ball, so we don't get the chance to press and instead have to pick the lock with craft.

We have only played well a handful of times this season, I feel we are risk adverse and we are missing a man that can make things happen, a maverick who can beat a player and push on in the attacking 3rd (dembele to a certain extent but he is not attacking enough.

He has earned a lot of credit and patience from me with the bringing through of youth, for a top 6 team he is incredible at this. I am happy to give a lot of leeway because of this, makes me very proud of the team to have this.

Maybe Gutterboy was right...Ryan Mason was actually the secret to our success...

Thing about Mason and why he suddenly made Poch's system 'work' was that he moved the ball quickly, rarely took more than 2-3 touches and always looked to move it forward.

With Wanyama and Dembele in there we have one midfielder who wins the ball back and moves it quickly but rarely forward and another who often takes more than 2-3 touches (although he's still vastly improved his ability to know when to release the ball in comparison to when Poch took over).

Basically Wanyama is a massive upgrade on Capoue, but he's not that different in terms of style of play. I think we need someone in there who will start moving the forward quickly again.

Thing about Mason and why he suddenly made Poch's system 'work' was that he moved the ball quickly, rarely took more than 2-3 touches and always looked to move it forward.

With Wanyama and Dembele in there we have one midfielder who wins the ball back and moves it quickly but rarely forward and another who often takes more than 2-3 touches (although he's still vastly improved his ability to know when to release the ball in comparison to when Poch took over).

Basically Wanyama is a massive upgrade on Capoue, but he's not that different in terms of style of play. I think we need someone in there who will start moving the forward quickly again.

Winks really made things tick doing this against CSKA

Dembele makes progressive passes, but he doesn't make them quickly and within 1 or two touches of receiving the ball, which is the point I was trying to make earlier.

A more interesting/worrying trend about those stats is that none of our '3 behind the striker' feature at all. Maybe due to not having as much game time though.

Winks really made things tick doing this against CSKA

I was thinking the other day, most of our recent academy CMs seem to have this ability. Must be the way they are coached these days.

A more interesting/worrying trend about those stats is that none of our '3 behind the striker' feature at all. Maybe due to not having as much game time though.

Or more likely because none of them are in the really top drawer of players in those positions. Alli is probably our most consistent but he isnt creative that way - he's more instinctive, finds space well and has good movement. The rest of them: Son, Eriksen, Lamela, Sissoko and Nkoudou and all somewhat underwhelming - lots of bodies and different styles but none really top class

I was thinking the other day, most of our recent academy CMs seem to have this ability. Must be the way they are coached these days.

It's particularly great to see English players doing this. McDermott and co have shown (like the whole German system in parallel), that the historic lack of technique and intelligence in homegrown players was nurture rather than nature, and can be remedied.

Back