• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best live recorded performances ever

I still listen to Who live at Leed - Live for me though means atmosphere and visual effects, recordings are just too one dimensional on the whole.
Not fussed about visual effects.
Live for me means the vibe and the feeling the band can create within you.
You can lose yourself for two hours.

There are some bands that I like recorded but will refuse to see live again and some venues I generally try to avoid because they destroy it (Wembley arena. Brixton Academy to a lesser extent).

But some bands are just so good live it doesn't matter if their recent work was below par (wildhearts, ash, sfa all exceptional live bands)

Just discovered a new band at a small festival in France - brilliant live band. Atrocious studio album.
Fat White Family - for anyone that likes slightly dancy, slightly indie music performaned like it's the last show they'll ever play, then I highly recommend seeing them.

Not fussed about visual effects.
Live for me means the vibe and the feeling the band can create within you.
You can lose yourself for two hours.

There are some bands that I like recorded but will refuse to see live again and some venues I generally try to avoid because they destroy it (Wembley arena. Brixton Academy to a lesser extent).

But some bands are just so good live it doesn't matter if their recent work was below par (wildhearts, ash, sfa all exceptional live bands)

Just discovered a new band at a small festival in France - brilliant live band. Atrocious studio album.
Fat White Family - for anyone that likes slightly dancy, slightly indie music performaned like it's the last show they'll ever play, then I highly recommend seeing them.

I think live performances are a personal snapshot on one's life, I remember when I saw "whoever" now they might not of been that good but they fitted the moment.
Now for me there is an added element to my live 'rememberings' nostalgia.. Once went to see Santana at the Wembley arena and they were poor, but and here's where 'the moment' came in. Also on the bill was this old geezer;) called Eric Burdon .......he was outstanding! I will never forget it! late 70's I think

I think live performances are a personal snapshot on one's life, I remember when I saw "whoever" now they might not of been that good but they fitted the moment.
Now for me there is an added element to my live 'rememberings' nostalgia.. Once went to see Santana at the Wembley arena and they were poor, but and here's where 'the moment' came in. Also on the bill was this old geezer;) called Eric Burdon .......he was outstanding! I will never forget it! late 70's I think
Love turning up and finding a support act that blow you away.
Always make it for the support bands now - never know who you will discover

Love turning up and finding a support act that blow you away.
Always make it for the support bands now - never know who you will discover

I went to see Reef at Shepherds Bush Empire in 97. They were being supported by Feeder, totally blew them off the stage. Been a big fan of them ever since. Enjoyed Red Kross supporting Foos a couple of years later (I think). I remember watching a great line-up of Feeder, Everclear and 'A' at the Astoria, just a really good gig.

On a slightly similar note, saw Muse at Astoria and a little-known band called Coldplay were supporting them. The lead singer joked that we were lucky to be watching them now as 'next year we're gonna be bigger than Bon Jovi'.....

on that note,

Supergrass opening for Foo Fighters at Earls Court 05/06

The Black Spiders opening for The Wildhearts at SB Empire in 09

edit, mind in gear

The Glitterati opening for someone somewhere at some point

This is one of the only songs where I think the live performance of it (on this occasion) is better than the studio version. *edit* you got to listen to the whole track, it builds...awesome,

I have been lucky enough to have seen the Stones ( first time back in the 60's) and that song is as you say awesome played live.

Bill Withers at Carnegie Hall is boss

Neil Young released a series of live albums about 5 years ago. Him on acoustic early on in his solo career, pre-Harvest. I recommend them.

Billie Holiday released loads of live albums, scarily good.

@LemonadeMoney Great thread mate. I prefer live to studio on the whole so I'm loving checking the recommendations out. :)

I hope all those Wildhearts fans have ordered "Never Outdrunk, Never Outsung" (PHUQ live) btw. It sounds amazing.
I haven't, but I will. Cheers for the reminder.
I was at the Forum though.

Currently on my way back from seeing King Gizzard and the Wizard Lizard - good live psychedelic rock band if you like that thing. Four guitars, a keyboard, a flute and two drum kits. And a variety of other "stuff"

I saw Stevie Wonder at Wembley arena in 1980/1 for his Hotter than July tour. Master blaster live was sublime. (Also, the stage that he performed on was in the middle of the crowd, and was slowly turning through the show to allow everyone to see Stevie. I remember thinking, does he know he's spinning around...)

For anyone who plays "rock" guitar.. as a guitarist these are three "I really wish I had been there" small gig moments.

1. When Guthrie Govan appears from the audience to guest/jam with Phil x and the Drills at the boileroom in Guildford. Complete with temporary guitar sound issues (guitarists will sympathise) [playing Superstition]

2. When Guthrie Govan plays in what appears to be small bar in Iceland!

3. The Temperance Movement playing, rather bizarrely, in the corner of a bar and grill in Grand Rapids. Who knows why. (They are a UK band that supported the Rolling Stones in 2015, and very good live)

4. plus a non-guitar moment.. I managed to get in to see Keane in a small gig at the Forum T. Wells (I realise some people will be sympathizing) -it is like a village hall. but it was great atmosphere, and great gig.

Superb guitar work from one-time Focus leader Jan Akkerman. From a live show at the Hague Jazz Festival in '07.

Both Akkerman and Nelson are v good guitarists. Nelson pioneering.. although didn't really get into Be-Bop Deluxe (or Red Noise for that matter)

Back