• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Predicted starting line-up v Everton

Nope
Other than a Keeper Stelenberg

Their screwed that despite the new found wealth they can only spend £17m more in wages than last season (FFP rules for the prem)

It means they have to be extra carful and add to that their new part owner isn't that wealthy there a but stuck (£1.7b is a lot to you and I but nothing in football terms with a new ground to fund

Who is Stelenberg?
Their screwed what?
Why do they have an extra carful, don't they use a coach?
Which player is but stuck?
:)
Do you use Siri to transcribe your posts? Genuine question.

They are not screwed, they could get a new sponsorship deal with their own brother and suddenly have pots of cash... worked a treat for City.

Who is Stelenberg?
Their screwed what?
Why do they have an extra carful, don't they use a coach?
Which player is but stuck?
:)
Do you use Siri to transcribe your posts? Genuine question.

They are not screwed, they could get a new sponsorship deal with their own brother and suddenly have pots of cash... worked a treat for City.

Ok Stekelenberg

And City got away with it before the new rules but we're already paying High wages

You cannot increase your wages now by more than £17m in a season - the everton fans I know highlighted that to me

And they have to be careful not to be lumbered with high wage players that they can't shift - city's owners are worth 100s of billions and Evertons is worth £1.7B. Simply not on the same league

So their screwed in that despite having some money now they can't spend it as they would have a few years ago like City did

Well if you are so enlightened with our new signings and seem to know their attributes so well, why don't you tell me where I'm so wrong

What is Wanyama going to give us that Dier or Dembele cannot and the same with Janssen instead of Kane?

It is YOU coming up with the concrete and defined pronouncements ("Poch is predictable", "tactics predictable", "opposing managers will find it too easy to find ways to stop us", "Wanyama is the same as Dier/Dembele", "Janssen is Kane-lite" etc, paraphrasing the last two) so the onus is on YOU to state and explain your points.

I don't agree that the signings we are making only give us simple squad depth; i aslobeleive they give us some scope for tactical/formation variation but i want you to explain in more detail why you have made those concrete and define pronouncements before i give me take on things.

It is YOU coming up with the concrete and defined pronouncements ("Poch is predictable", "tactics predictable", "opposing managers will find it too easy to find ways to stop us", "Wanyama is the same as Dier/Dembele", "Janssen is Kane-lite" etc, paraphrasing the last two) so the onus is on YOU to state and explain your points.

I don't agree that the signings we are making only give us simple squad depth; i aslobeleive they give us some scope for tactical/formation variation but i want you to explain in more detail why you have made those concrete and define pronouncements before i give me take on things.

What is so hard to understand when I said Wanyama is similar to Dier, or Janssen has similar abilities to Kane. That's my standpoint and tbh I haven't seen too many people who think any different so I'm not in the minority. That's why I ask you what is it that you see in them which is different.

About Poch and tactics. I think he has proven that he likes a certain formation and pressing tactic and he sticks by it. Yes I believe that makes the way we line up and play predictable and maybe opposing managers will find ways to stop us because of this.

Look, the advantage of signing back ups like Wanyama and Janssen who as I said are similar in ability to Dier and Kane is that they can easily slot in without causing Poch to change his tactics and system. I can understand that way of thinking. The squad is stronger and that can only be a good thing.

What is so hard to understand when I said Wanyama is similar to Dier, or Janssen has similar abilities to Kane. That's my standpoint and tbh I haven't seen too many people who think any different so I'm not in the minority. That's why I ask you what is it that you see in them which is different.

About Poch and tactics. I think he has proven that he likes a certain formation and pressing tactic and he sticks by it. Yes I believe that makes the way we line up and play predictable and maybe opposing managers will find ways to stop us because of this.

Look, the advantage of signing back ups like Wanyama and Janssen who as I said are similar in ability to Dier and Kane is that they can easily slot in without causing Poch to change his tactics and system. I can understand that way of thinking. The squad is stronger and that can only be a good thing.

In my mind Wanyama is a TOTALLY different player to Dier. He is a 'bruiser' type of DM who is more likely to use brute strength to intercept players whilst Dier is more the 'Carrick' type of 'intercepter' who closes off attacking lines AND can spot passes to start counter-attacks. Dier also used to be a CB so his style of play is naturally different to Wanyama because of this alone imo.
I don't think i need to go into detail as to how Wanyama is different to Demeble..
In fact we don't have anyone like Wanyama in our squad currently.

Janssen by all accounts can play as a lone striker as well as across the front three, though his qualities are best suited to playing as a striker (solely or with a partner). To me this is slightly different to Kane who can play as the front man but also behind the front man (it seems he is better than Janssen in this area).

Who played regularly last season in the same way that N'Koudou is said to play?

I take a bit of issue with your assumption that these signings mean he will stick by what he has always done: He can now play 4-3-3 if he feel, with a CM 3 of Wanyama, Dier and Dembele or Wanyama, Dier and Alli.
The front 3 can be Kane, Eriksen, Alli, or Kane, Janssen and N'Koudou or Janssen, Lamela, N'Koudou et etc, lots of permutation in my mind here.

We can also stick to 4-2-3-1 if we want (and have greater depth), we could go two up front and a diamond, we can go 4-4-2 if need be.

There are a number of tactical variation opportunities that i see and i can't understand why anyone would assume Poch will simply 'stick to what he has done', esp given the different attributes that the (probably 3) signings bring to the table compared to the players we have and used last season.

Sounds to me like you two are actually in agreement but using different angles

The new signings have similarities to the players we have but are also a bit different which you both agree on I think

There both welcome additions in areas where we lacked depth

Maybe Poch will use the new players to vary his tactics - that will become clearer as the season unfolds

I for one am chuffed to bits we have signed players who can come into he first 11 and potentially have no detriment to the team

The new signings are obvious depth signings.

Re Poch's tactics, we simply don't know, my belief based on what I've seen is

- Poch will stick to tried and true with players he trusts over perhaps a variation where he needs to utilize players on his B list.
- That said, later last season we saw a little more flexibility than I expected from Poch, wouldn't be surprised as he builds his squad to see different/new tactics

---------------------Lloris---------------------
Walker-------Toby-------Wimmer-----Rose
----------------Dier-------Wanyama---------
---Lamela----------Alli-----------Eriksen----
---------------------Kane-----------------------

we played and setup quite differently in his two seasons in charge so far - the over riding style remained pressing by nature and 4231 the most common formation but IMO those two things alone don't mean there was not flexibility on display.

the most obvious change, for example, was to our midfield two, from the double pivot of Mason and Bentaleb to the more traditional DM/Box to Box setup - continuing on from that we also saw Dier drop back in to the CB positions at times which helped allow our full backs the freedom to attack more.

none of which were wholesale changes but it showed that Poch is far from stuck in his ways and will look to fine tune his tactical approach if he thinks it's required - i think those examples were his way of fixing our defensive troubles of the season before and our lack of width in attack.

i think we'll see similar levels of tinkering along the way until we reach a point where we're doing as well as we think possible.

having an extra DM in the squad gives us more tactical flexibility, not less - it gives us more options when starting games and more options to change things off the bench, in terms of tactical approach as much as 'like for like' personnel change. The same obviously goes for having a good quality CF in reserve (Kane as we know was initially thought of as a no.10 and Poch has already been on record saying he wouldn't rule out playing 2 forwards together) and an actual pacy wide player.

Last edited:
Lloris

Walker
Alderweireld
Wimmer
Rose

Dier
Alli

Lamela
Eriksen
Chadli

Kane

Subs: Vorm, Trippier, Davies, Wanyama, Mason, N'koudou, Janssen

Dare I say that Janssen will start up front. With little pre season from Kane and his slow start from similar situation previous season.

Sounds to me like you two are actually in agreement but using different angles

The new signings have similarities to the players we have but are also a bit different which you both agree on I think

There both welcome additions in areas where we lacked depth

Maybe Poch will use the new players to vary his tactics - that will become clearer as the season unfolds

I for one am chuffed to bits we have signed players who can come into he first 11 and potentially have no detriment to the team

I'm inclined to this view.

I don't think we are signing players to just increase squad strength. The new players are expected to challenge incumbents and offer new options. At worst the new players will become squad back-ups. Poch won't be changing the overall system and way of playing, but he can change the flavours. For instance, having Dembele, Wanyama or Alli as Dier's partner as the half-back pairing would offer different looks that might suit different opponents (or better still suit us against different opponents).

Back