• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of the PL era - left back

Who is the best left back to play for Spurs in the Premier League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Went with Benny - another season like the last couple for Rose however and my vote may be different next time out

It was tight between Benny and Rose for me but these were the deciding factor

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/14510618

BAE.jpg

As much as I liked BAE, Rose is the better left back. LYP was terrible for large parts.

Bae gets the vote from me. Outstanding under Harry. Probably the best lb in the PL at that time, and also the most entertaining/frightening. Only he would do a Cruyff in his own 6 yard box while under pressure from several players. Spectacular and terrifying at the same time. Loved him!

Very close between BAE and Rose for me. Although BAE just edges it for me. Can see Rose overtaking him next season though if he carries on his consistency from this season.

BAE (when he wanted to) and Rose lately are great players. Ziege was another step up for me though.

The difference in our team between when he was and wasn't available was huge - the Dembele of his time.

Last edited:
Had Ziege not got injured, Hoddle would still be our manager.

I jest, of course, but he was the perfect FB for that scheme, though Rose would have done pretty well too.

I have no doubt that Ziege is quality wise the best of them all.
He couldn't play in a flat 4 though, he was a pure wing back, more of a midielder than a defender.
And he had his injury which made his Spurs career shorter than what we'd want and compared to his rivals in this poll.
Hoddle almost never had both Ziege and Carr fit at the same time, it killed his team. In these days we'd probably have top quality back up, but that didn't happen in those days. We struggled enough to finance our first XI. Eventually Hoddle was forced by fans and media to play 44fudging2 and it was over for both him and Ziege.

Agreed. That is why I don't like including players while still playing. Rose has just had an excellent season, could be England's left back at the Euros, and go on to be a better player for us over the next few years. Then he would become a clear first choice and I'm hopeful he will. Alternatively, he could regress and this season gets looked back on as a one off or he could leave us to win trophies with Saudi Sportswashing Machine. BAE gave us some good years and keeps my top pick for now.

I have no doubt that Ziege is quality wise the best of them all.
He couldn't play in a flat 4 though, he was a pure wing back, more of a midielder than a defender.
And he had his injury which made his Spurs career shorter than what we'd want and compared to his rivals in this poll.
Hoddle almost never had both Ziege and Carr fit at the same time, it killed his team. In these days we'd probably have top quality back up, but that didn't happen in those days. We struggled enough to finance our first XI. Eventually Hoddle was forced by fans and media to play 44fudgeing2 and it was over for both him and Ziege.

Don't think Zieges position was that much different to our current full backs. Rose and Walker are effectively wing backs anyway, with Dier dropping in the back line when they bomb on.

I think he'd look fantastic in our current team, we'd miss out on Roses pace but Harry and Ali would have a field day on his delivery.

Don't think Zieges position was that much different to our current full backs. Rose and Walker are effectively wing backs anyway, with Dier dropping in the back line when they bomb on.

I think he'd look fantastic in our current team, we'd miss out on Roses pace but Harry and Ali would have a field day on his delivery.

I think what Ziege has that Rose and BAE don't have is more consistent crossing and a real goal threat from set pieces. Yes he played as a wing back for us, but for Liverpool he did not (albeit he did not play many games) and was pretty damn good. Again, this may be a case of the rose tinted glasses, but I think he would kill it in this team. The team he played in with us was far more limited, yet he offered a bright spark in an otherwise quite limited side.

And that is not to say that I don't rate Rose or BAE. I think they are both great, and I would put Rose ahead of BAE purely on the basis that I think he has performed better in this past season than BAE has in any one of his seasons with us.

Damn, missed the poll. Would have been Disco Benny for me too...not that he'd care, of course. Or even know the poll was happening.

Ziege on his day was a frightening wing-back, but he was lost in a 4-4-2 or similar. I think he'd do very well in the current setup, as it happens.

Rose is really getting there. I like my defenders to be defenders first and attackers second, but Rose is developing nicely and I think his tackling is under-rated.

But BAE was just class, in a not-so-great team, for several seasons. He might have been a bit cavalier, not the tub-thumping "football is everything" type, but he locked down that left side pretty much on his own, while supporting the attack. And I miss him.

I like that we had three choices that people could make a good argument for, but I don't think people will be too concerned about their choices missing out. That might not be the case for some of the other positions, where some favourites are likely to miss out. The order we pick them might make a difference. I think we will get different choices if we pick centre forward first and then fill in behind than if we continue through the team from the back.

Back