• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer Transfer Strategy

To answer my own questions:

1. CF then CM then WF. CF in the mould of an Aguero/Sturridge/Defoe type player who can dribble with the ball at pace and can drift out wide if needs be. Second priority is a top CM that improves upon Carroll and Mason. Then a top class winger to replace Lamela in the starting XI. Bit harsh on Lamela after his best season with us, but too many times I've felt we've had absolutely nothing to come from the bench when we need an extra spark, and I'd like that extra spark to be Lamela if N'Jie isn't up to it. Our squad also does not have the Hazard/Sanchez/Mahrez type tricky winger that a top club should have, one that really scares the life out of the opposition when in top form, and therefore, we need to be going all out to get one this summer if we're to really compete.

2. I'll leave that to the FM/Youtube experts, it's partly why I created the thread in the first place.

3. Fazio, Yedlin, Mason, Carroll and Chadli all need to be moved on for sure. We also need to make a final call on Pritchard.

4. Would listen to offers for Vorm for sure. Calls also need to be made on N'Jie and Son and whether they can improve sufficiently. If we have to sell real first team stars for whatever reason, the ones that would pain me the least to go would be Lamela and Vertonghen, although I doubt we'd sell either.

In particular, if we're looking for experience of title-winning mentalities and successful game management in the side *without* compromising on an otherwise youthful recruitment strategy, bringing in some vastly experienced backup GK could be a great way out of it - someone who can teach the lads the darker arts (at least as much as said goalkeeper's learned through osmosis from his colleagues further up the field) and bring a calmer, more ruthless mentality.

Coupled with Vorm's contract only having two years left to go now (meaning we have to sell him now if we want to get as much as we can from him), it could make a lot of sense to cast the net around Europe and see if we can find someone like this. Victor Valdes' contract is expiring, perhaps he could be convinced to come be our backup GK?

I think Chadli should be given one more season as a last chance: I can see him being VERY key for us next season and likely to get a few goals in the CL....

I'd like Wanyama and Mane from Southampton, although pretty unlikely. Need another striker too, Berahino perhaps.

Those three would probably cost about £60m though so we'd definitely need to sell.

Will Hughes looked very good tonight, and Derby got knocked out.

Levy has probably already kidnapped their mascot and offered them a bag of Skittles as a transfer fee.

It seems we have badly missed Alli and Dembele, so we need to upgrade our midfield options. Signing 2 centre mids allows us to use Dier in defence (if we wanted to) or move Dembele further forward (again, if we wanted to). We need cover for Kane. Also, put Vertonghen on notice, Wimmer is ready to take his place if standards slip.

Out: Fazio, Carroll, Bentaleb, Chadli.

In: Wanyama, Henderson (if he's available), Dembele (the Fulham one, if that's still on).

----------------------lloris/vorm
walker/trippier----toby/dier----vert/wimmer----rose/davies
----------------dier/wanyama-----dembele/henderson
--lamela/son---------alli/henderson/dembele/mason--------eriksen/alli/dembele
-----------------------kane/dembele jr.

That's 20 players. Add to that N'Jie, Pritchard, CCV and Onomah. 24 total.

With that squad, we would always have strength and athleticism through the middle of the team and we'd be able to rotate and keep the intensity high across all of our games. I'd expect those 3 signings to settle pretty quickly, maybe Dembele Jr. would take a little longer to adjust. But we should be able to hit the ground running.

Basically, signings to build on the things that have worked for us this season. We have to hope that the experience gained by our younger players this season will help them in the big games to come. They now know what to expect, they might (hopefully) handle the pressure a bit better.

A few more home wins and being able to shut out games when infront (bringing Wanyama into the game as opposed to Mason/Carroll should help here) would see us challenge for the league again.

As a wildcard, I'd consider selling Vorm and getting a top young keeper to really challenge Lloris, because I think Hugo seems too comfortable and could do with being pushed. This isn't an essential signing though.

There are a few I would recycle. Least obvious for some would be Walker. I appreciate his strengths but he can be pressured into mistakes.
Would happily take Henderson for his mettle and push Del up with Kane.
Obviously need a direct striker too.

To answer my own questions:

1. CF then CM then WF. CF in the mould of an Aguero/Sturridge/Defoe type player who can dribble with the ball at pace and can drift out wide if needs be. Second priority is a top CM that improves upon Carroll and Mason. Then a top class winger to replace Lamela in the starting XI. Bit harsh on Lamela after his best season with us, but too many times I've felt we've had absolutely nothing to come from the bench when we need an extra spark, and I'd like that extra spark to be Lamela if N'Jie isn't up to it. Our squad also does not have the Hazard/Sanchez/Mahrez type tricky winger that a top club should have, one that really scares the life out of the opposition when in top form, and therefore, we need to be going all out to get one this summer if we're to really compete.

2. I'll leave that to the FM/Youtube experts, it's partly why I created the thread in the first place.

3. Fazio, Yedlin, Mason, Carroll and Chadli all need to be moved on for sure. We also need to make a final call on Pritchard.

4. Would listen to offers for Vorm for sure. Calls also need to be made on N'Jie and Son and whether they can improve sufficiently. If we have to sell real first team stars for whatever reason, the ones that would pain me the least to go would be Lamela and Vertonghen, although I doubt we'd sell either.
Lamela - no way would I sell him, not only does he have excellent technical ability, he has the heart of a lion. Walking over fabregas' hand makes him a legend in my eyes. He is a player who will only get better. Whole host of players should go before him, Chadli, Mason and Carroll first. He also gets the nod over Son too. my list of definate keeps who I believe form the core of our side.

Lloris
Alderweireld
Wimmer
Walker
Rose
Dier
Dembele
Lamela
Alli
Eriksen
Kane.

I would also like to keep bentaleb as I see something there if he can sort out his head. Njie not had enough time to assess.

Jury is out on Son and Pritchard

The rest I would entertain offers.

I'd imagine the chances of Wanyama coming are quite high, especially as he goes into the last year if his contract now.

I'd be happy to see him come as well, no way we drop the points we have thus this season from winning positions if we had him as an option.

Wanyama and Henderson!

Why not go for Lee Cattermole too!
Err probably because Lee Cattermole is nowhere near as good as either Wanyama or Henderson.

Wanyama is probably one of the best Dier clone's that we could get. He would be more than just Dier cover and instead be a genuine challenge to Dier for his first team place.
Henderson I wouldn't be too fussed about signing (mainly because of the cost in terms of transfer fee and wages) but he would still improve our squad by a great deal.

Lamela - no way would I sell him, not only does he have excellent technical ability, he has the heart of a lion. Walking over fabregas' hand makes him a legend in my eyes. He is a player who will only get better. Whole host of players should go before him, Chadli, Mason and Carroll first. He also gets the nod over Son too. my list of definate keeps who I believe form the core of our side.

Lloris
Alderweireld
Wimmer
Walker
Rose
Dier
Dembele
Lamela
Alli
Eriksen
Kane.

I would also like to keep bentaleb as I see something there if he can sort out his head. Njie not had enough time to assess.

Jury is out on Son and Pritchard

The rest I would entertain offers.
While I am 100% with you in terms of keeping Lamela, walking over Fabregas' hand made him anything other than a legend in my eyes. We had to do without Dembele and Alli for our final games and it easily could've been Lamela as well.

I also don't understand anyone who wouldn't mind losing Vertonghen. It was Alderweireld who played poorly in the last four games and yet somehow it seems that somehow Vertonghen has taken the blame for this? It makes no sense at all.

Err probably because Lee Cattermole is nowhere near as good as either Wanyama or Henderson.

Wanyama is probably one of the best Dier clone's that we could get. He would be more than just Dier cover and instead be a genuine challenge to Dier for his first team place.
Henderson I wouldn't be too fussed about signing (mainly because of the cost in terms of transfer fee and wages) but he would still improve our squad by a great deal.
LIverpool will never let us have Henderson and nor do I really want him anyway. I don;t he's that good really.
Wanyama would be a great addition though and fill a need in the squad.

While I am 100% with you in terms of keeping Lamela, walking over Fabregas' hand made him anything other than a legend in my eyes. We had to do without Dembele and Alli for our final games and it easily could've been Lamela as well.

I also don't understand anyone who wouldn't mind losing Vertonghen. It was Alderweireld who played poorly in the last four games and yet somehow it seems that somehow Vertonghen has taken the blame for this? It makes no sense at all.

Probably because it has always Vertonghen that has periods where he is unreliable for several late season mathes at a time AND the fact he has rarely been as consistent as Toby has been this year.
Also, you take Toby away from being alongside Vertonghen: do you trust him to be the dominant leader at the back or to start playing more inconsistently?
If it was Toby injured in January instead, do you HONESTLY believe we would have been able to maintain our defensive strength in the way we did when it was Vertonghen that was injured?

I'd be happy to sell Vertonghen if we could get a defender who is pacier AND better in the air, even if he wasn't as good on the ball. Vertonghen is too flaky for my liking when the going gets tough.

Back