• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cheatski are still scum

if only top players gave opinions on football, thered be a lot less nonesense.

perhaps, but a lot of people obviously like listening to savage on 606 and bt sport (me included). theres guys like neville who give insights into the game that as fans, we otherwise wouldnt have known. but i really do think there is space for ppl like savage too; someone who drums up debate and makes controversial points. imo, theres nothing wrong with savage. but if hes going to hand out criticism, hes got to be willing to take some back (liek today). the pundits i dont want to see are guys like owen, henry, etc. guys who dont provide any insight, and are no fun to listen to either

jon-stewart-confused-what.gif

no, my point is that theres nothing wrong with poor opinions. at the end of the day thats what makes football so interesting. but what i dont want to listen to is bad opinions that are also boring.

robbie savage may chat a lot of crap, but he is charismatic and enagaing. making his opinions enjoyable to listen to

no, my point is that theres nothing wrong with poor opinions. at the end of the day thats what makes football so interesting. but what i dont want to listen to is bad opinions that are also boring.

robbie savage may chat a lot of crap, but he is charismatic and enagaing. making his opinions enjoyable to listen to

Just to clarify, when you say "poor opinions" do you mean "nonsense"?

I think that Neymar is saying that he thinks that contrarian view points are better than insightful ones because they provoke a reaction.

I think that Neymar is saying that he thinks that contrarian view points are better than insightful ones because they provoke a reaction.

Was an interesting semi-rant from Honigstein on the Guardian football weekly podcast a week or so ago. Was discussing Klopp (obviously, what else is there to talk about?) and saying how the media in Germany back before Klopp, Jurgen et al. was all about cliches like "wanting it more", "passion" and so on. No actual footballing insight, tactical knowledge or analysis.

Still a lot of that in football media today...

Contrarian views can be interesting, but most of the time they're being contrarian without any actual substance. That gets old really fast for me.

imo, that's crap

pundits should be educating us about the core of the game, it's not about people and personalities, it's about technicalities, the nuances of coaching, why players behave the way they do in each situation and how they should ideally do so

i think theres room for all types of pundits tbh. yes its nice to be educated, but i also enjoy the likes of robbie savage too. talksport have made a 24/7 sports show off the fact that ppl love listening to crap

o_O

Hold on...you said...

if only top players gave opinions on football, thered be a lot less nonesense.

...then later you said...

perhaps, but a lot of people obviously like listening to savage on 606 and bt sport (me included). theres guys like neville who give insights into the game that as fans, we otherwise wouldnt have known. but i really do think there is space for ppl like savage too; someone who drums up debate and makes controversial points. imo, theres nothing wrong with savage. but if hes going to hand out criticism, hes got to be willing to take some back (liek today). the pundits i dont want to see are guys like owen, henry, etc. guys who dont provide any insight, and are no fun to listen to either

So you say if only top players gave opinions on football, there'd be a lot less "poor opinions"; then you say you don't want to see guys like Owen, Henry (who were top players btw) because they provide bad/poor opinions that are also boring.

Tying yourself up in your own contradictions as usual it seems....

i think theres room for all types of pundits tbh. yes its nice to be educated, but i also enjoy the likes of robbie savage too. talksport have made a 24/7 sports show off the fact that ppl love listening to crap

fair enough, you are welcome to it, i can't stand talksport either

I posted this in the MoPo thread but i thought i'd also post it here.

This is from The Grauniad's Football discussion pages in the aftermath of Chelski's loss to Liverpool last Saturday.

The 5-3 hammering at Tottenham last season forever altered Mourinho & thus Chelsea. Chelsea were only the best side last season up until New years Day. Pochettino tactically destroyed Mourinho by targeting Fabregas & Matic by telling Eriksen to drift out to the flanks taking Matic, who Mourinho told to man-mark Eriksen, with him thus leaving Fabregas horribly exposed vs the likes of Kane, Chadli & Co all running at the slow CB back pairing of Terry & Cahill. Pochettino knew Mourinho would try to destroy Eriksen's link up play with Kane as that was the main attacking threat from Spurs up until that point. Mourinho is above all else a reactive manager. Pochettino foreseeing this, countered Mourinho's destructive game-plan. By exploiting Mourinho telling Matic to man-mark Spurs' playmaker, the consequences were it destroyed Mourinho's nerve in having an attacking gameplan & he doubled down on negative football so as not to get hammered again telling the rest of his midfield to tuck in to protect Fabregas being a liability in defence. So shook was he by that result, that for the rest of the season, they just stumbled over the line. There were half a dozen games in the 2nd half of last season where Chelsea needed goalkeeping errors to gift them the 3 points. In truth, Chelsea haven't attacked well since January 2015. But this has long term consequences that we are only beginning to see this season. Don't underestimate what this negativity does to the Chelsea players. When your manager doesn't believe you are capable of outplaying & outscoring the opposition, then confidence drops like a stone. How can you believe you can take the opposition on when your manager is drumming into your head that the main playmaker in the side is so bad defensively, that the entire team attacking approach must be sacrificed to shore up the team? The players don't have the belief anymore that they can attack well because the manager tells them though his tactics that he fears the opposition scoring more than trusting the attacking threat of his own players. He has destroyed their confidence because he has no trust in them in an open game.

Mourinho is, of course, trying to do what he did in the 2nd half of last season by grinding it out but the players have had it. Close the game down? Why? Why should I bust a gut for a manager who doesn't believe we are good enough to attack? You can do that for 3 months when the prize is in sight but over the long term? He has lost the players subconsciously because they don't want to play like Pulis' West Brom, no disrepsect to WBA fans, shutting down games all the time. He tried it today vs Liverpool but the mental energy has gone. He has sucked all the joy & belief out of them. Eventually, you get sick of it. For those Chelsea players, it's not a pleasure to play football anymore, it's a slog to shut down games when taking the lead because the manager doesn't believe in your attacking threat & the longer the slog goes on, the less you try. Morale has collapsed.

Very interesting indeed.
From here: http://www.theguardian.com/football...-premier-league-match-report#comment-62490369

Thoughts?

I've been saying that for a while. After that game they stopped playing and returned to typical boring Mourinho style.

I posted this in the MoPo thread but i thought i'd also post it here.

This is from The Grauniad's Football discussion pages in the aftermath of Chelski's loss to Liverpool last Saturday.

Very interesting indeed.
From here: http://www.theguardian.com/football...-premier-league-match-report#comment-62490369

Thoughts?

I'm not sure that we get much from a well reasoned look at their issues. Wouldn't it be better if an ex-pro said something provocative to get a response?

I've been saying that for a while. After that game they stopped playing and returned to typical boring Mourinho style.
They even tried to shut down the game against a mediocre Kiev team at home yesterday. Saved by the bell by Willians free kick wonder in the end.

Back