• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

But they were mainly brought young with a view of growth in value

The problem they had was the fees they paid meant these players had to improve another 100% to gain any value

Look at Can for example. They paid about £6m for him and he is a good player, potentially a great player

Yes they have brought brick for big money but they have also brought decent players for less

I still think there philosophy is the same as ours but when they had money to burn they were poor at it.. Much like we were

...difference to us is ..they continue to spend big money and are still poor at it...

After the Bale money, we have veered in a more considered direction. Meanwhile, they have arguably done what we did with the Bale Money 3 times (2011 with Carrol etc, 2014 Lovren etc and again 2015 Benteke 35M, Firmino 29M etc)

Les Ferdinand, Ian Wright, Toto Schillaci. All lower league forwards who only moved into the top flight and international teams in their late 20s.

Back-up CF is like back-up GK. We don't need someone at their peak with Kane as our Lloris. We need either a Vorm equivalent (but obviously better than Vorm) or a McGee equivalent.
You have said that a couple of times now.... I disagreed last time and I still disagree now. The difference is that a keeper can quite easily play 40+ games a season and will also always be expected to play for the full 90+ minutes. Whereas your centre forward is likely to need a rest sometime and will also often run themselves into the ground and need to come off with 20 odd minutes of the game to go. That's before you consider that Kane is equally adept at playing number 10 as he is to playing number 9. The is also the fact that a goalkeeper isn't really instrumental to the way that the whole team plays, whereas a number 9 most definitely is in our formation. With a minimum of around 50 games in the season and Harry Kane's versatility I think there are ample minutes available to have two top class number 9s at Spurs.

The problem they had was the fees they paid meant these players had to improve another 100% to gain any value

Look at Can for example. They paid about £6m for him and he is a good player, potentially a great player

Yes they have brought brick for big money but they have also brought decent players for less

I still think there philosophy is the same as ours but when they had money to burn they were poor at it.. Much like we were

Our philosophy has always been upside (Modric, Berbatov, Eriksen, Lloris) on mid priced players, we took a risk/detour when we had Bale money, basically on two main players, we tried to buy a proven, quality striker (Soldado) and one of the world's promising young talents (Lamela), everyone else actually fell in the normal Spurs buy (perhaps a little premium on Paulinho).

Additionally we learnt after burning the first 100M, they have just kept going and have shown no real indication of changing that ...

I'd also say they match/better us for sheer player turnover (31 players in 3 years for Rodgers, all the way back to Fat Spanish Waiter who bought a shed load).

Anyway, re original point, I could easily see them paying 25M+ for Vardy, something I don't think we would touch with a proverbial pole.

I would be surprised if we went after Vardy, he is doing great at the moment but I am not sure it will last.

...difference to us is ..they continue to spend big money and are still poor at it...

After the Bale money, we have veered in a more considered direction. Meanwhile, they have arguably done what we did with the Bale Money 3 times (2011 with Carrol etc, 2014 Lovren etc and again 2015 Benteke 35M, Firmino 29M etc)

Yeah this I agree with

As I've said I think their philosophy is the same but their management of it is jank!!!!

Does anyone else think that it's idd that they mid priced payers nearly always perform better e.g. Eriksen and Chadli for us and Can and Sturridge for Pool in comparison to both clubs higher money signings???

Yeah this I agree with

As I've said I think their philosophy is the same but their management of it is jank!!!!

Does anyone else think that it's idd that they mid priced payers nearly always perform better e.g. Eriksen and Chadli for us and Can and Sturridge for Pool in comparison to both clubs higher money signings???

No... you just forget about the mediocre mid-money signings more easily.

Adam Lallana, Stewart Downing, Charlie Adam...

a mate of mine who supports birmingham have said spurs are close to signing demarai gray from them... any good?

Back