• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Champions League 2015/16

I'd rather look after the interests of 42 league clubs than 4 champions league clubs. It is looking after the interests of far more football fans and fans of more clubs can live in hope of seeing their club win something.

i bet us, lpool, ars, city, utd, chelsea have more fans globally than the 42 league clubs put together. so it kind of makes sense to ensure that only this select group of clubs can win something - this scenario leaves the most number of ppl happiest

Do you believe what you are saying or do you just like arguing?

ill be honest. my argument today was a bit tongue in cheek. but i really do think that one of the biggest reasons that our clubs are doing poorly in th ucl is because the epl is too competitive. so i think its unfair for ppl to compare our 4 teams' performances to bayerns, rms and barcas

I am not aware of any other sport where positions 2-4 are regarded as "Champions." In fact Jose Mourinho says rightly that 2nd place is the first loser. If some one with no knowledge of football was to watch the Champions league they would be perplexed why the 2nd, 3rd and 4th teams were taking part. Let's face it the champions league was created and marketed as a way to ensure the money in the game remains with a relatively small group of "top" teams.

when our olympians picked up bronze and silver medals, i looked at them with real pride as "champions"

mourinho might say 2nd place is first loser, but i would say it how it is. they are 2nd (ie. 2nd winners).

on the last day of the season when the likes of dawson collapsed to his knees after finding out arsenal had edged us for 4th spot, and they celebrated with selfies and 6 packs, i thought "yeah, arsenal have championed over us this season". like you/mou would say, our fans and players had the look of 1st losers. ergo, arsenal mustve been champions

ill be honest. my argument today was a bit tongue in cheek. but i really do think that one of the biggest reasons that our clubs are doing poorly in th ucl is because the epl is too competitive. so i think its unfair for ppl to compare our 4 teams' performances to bayerns, rms and barcas

I don't think it's that, the main reason imo is that other clubs have better players

i bet us, lpool, ars, city, utd, Chel53a have more fans globally than the 42 league clubs put together. so it kind of makes sense to ensure that only this select group of clubs can win something - this scenario leaves the most number of ppl happiest

How many of those fans will ever go to a game or will support those teams for life? I do not think that the interests of glory hunters should be put above fans.

when our olympians picked up bronze and silver medals, i looked at them with real pride as "champions"

mourinho might say 2nd place is first loser, but i would say it how it is. they are 2nd (ie. 2nd winners).

on the last day of the season when the likes of dawson collapsed to his knees after finding out Ar5ena1 had edged us for 4th spot, and they celebrated with selfies and 6 packs, i thought "yeah, Ar5ena1 have championed over us this season". like you/mou would say, our fans and players had the look of 1st losers. ergo, Ar5ena1 mustve been champions

I usually take your posts with a pinch of salt as I think you like to wind people up, but the above is so much gonad*s I have to reply.

Firstly your comparison with Olympians is rubbish as far as I know you get a medal for coming second and third so yes they are winners ( as they get a medal). To compere that with finishing second or lower in the lge ( when you do not win anything) is just gonad*s.

Jose is right about finishing second ( you are the first of the losers) and no amount of waffle from you will change that.

I usually take your posts with a pinch of salt as I think you like to wind people up, but the above is so much cobblers I have to reply.

Firstly your comparison with Olympians is rubbish as far as I know you get a medal for coming second and third so yes they are winners ( as they get a medal). To compere that with finishing second or lower in the lge ( when you do not win anything) is just cobblers.

Jose is right about finishing second ( you are the first of the losers) and no amount of waffle from you will change that.
Yep wonder if Brendan Rodgers felt like a Champion in the season he finished second or Avram Grant in 2008 when he finished second in three competitions.

The CL could do with a shake up. One team from each league, EL winners and national cup winners. Then at least it could be still be called champions league. Instead of some leagues getting 3 or4 places and having loads of qualifying rounds 2nd placed league teams play off to fill any gaps.
Would also boost the national cups, F A cup has become a bit of a side show.

I am not aware of any other sport where positions 2-4 are regarded as "Champions." In fact Jose Mourinho says rightly that 2nd place is the first loser. If some one with no knowledge of football was to watch the Champions league they would be perplexed why the 2nd, 3rd and 4th teams were taking part. Let's face it the champions league was created and marketed as a way to ensure the money in the game remains with a relatively small group of "top" teams.

American sports allow for multiple champions: overall (e.g. superbowl, world series), conference and divisional champions. Leagues with playoffs sometimes assign both league and play-off champions and the play-off winners can finish much lower in the league. Admittedly, you have to be first somewhere rather than just 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Anyway, people celebrate finishing 4th because it qualifies them for something, namely participation in a more prestigious competition. I see no problem in that. No one is calling themselves 4th place champions. You can get trophies for not finishing first and it matters to people. Just look at the reactions of athletes finish 4th at the Olympics.

P.S. I see lots of objections to calling it champions league when many participants aren't champions. I'm surprised that no one has objected because it is not a league either. Perhaps the two negatives in non-champions and non-league cancel out.

American sports allow for multiple champions: overall (e.g. superbowl, world series), conference and divisional champions. Leagues with playoffs sometimes assign both league and play-off champions and the play-off winners can finish much lower in the league. Admittedly, you have to be first somewhere rather than just 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Anyway, people celebrate finishing 4th because it qualifies them for something, namely participation in a more prestigious competition. I see no problem in that. No one is calling themselves 4th place champions. You can get trophies for not finishing first and it matters to people. Just look at the reactions of athletes finish 4th at the Olympics.

P.S. I see lots of objections to calling it champions league when many participants aren't champions. I'm surprised that no one has objected because it is not a league either. Perhaps the two negatives in non-champions and non-league cancel out.

When it replaced the European Cup the league stage was new and only champions qualified. In that context both parts of the name made sense.

More so than now. But when switching to a system that is neither pure cup or league, the name was a strange choice. They probably should have gone for Europa League or Europa Cup.

I really don't care what it was called and find these arguments amusing. I'm more concerned about how the funding of UEFA completions can distort the competitiveness of domestic leagues. But that is another topic.

More so than now. But when switching to a system that is neither pure cup or league, the name was a strange choice. They probably should have gone for Europa League or Europa Cup.

I really don't care what it was called and find these arguments amusing. I'm more concerned about how the funding of UEFA completions can distort the competitiveness of domestic leagues. But that is another topic.

Same here but @Neymar is a tricky troll to pin down

How many of those fans will ever go to a game or will support those teams for life? I do not think that the interests of glory hunters should be put above fans.

how many fans of pl clubs that go to games, would stop going if their club were to do a leeds? all football fans are fickle and have a bit of "glory hunter" in them. doesnt make you any better than a pl fan in singapore

how many fans of pl clubs that go to games, would stop going if their club were to do a leeds? all football fans are fickle and have a bit of "glory hunter" in them. doesnt make you any better than a pl fan in singapore

I would probably go to more games if we did a Leeds.

I have no problem with foreign fans, in fact I did not mention where fans were from once in my post. I was talking about people who follow the flavour of the month or have no emotional investment in their side. They will support another side, if their current side is no longer successful. We shouldn't give a toss about what they want and certainly should not put them above people who go to games.

RM v PSG was a good watch. Madrid we're pretty lucky to win it with Ronaldo playing like a muppet all night.

Rabiot played very well.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/03/pep-guardiola-long-ball-arsene-wenger-Ar5ena1

Pep Guardiola expects long-ball tactics from Arsène Wenger’s Arsenal

“Arsenal want to attack and build up but when you press Mertesacker and Koscielny, they don’t want to play,” Guardiola said. “They play long balls to Giroud. Also, if they lose the ball and we make two or three passes, Mertesacker doesn’t want to stay high up, so they go back in their box and defend there.

“Arsenal will try long balls to Giroud. Cech will not play the ball to defenders, he will try long balls to Giroud. We have to defend well and be ready for that.”

Even though Pep might be tryung to do a little 'jedi mind trick' on Arsene (Wenger reaction: "i'll show them we can lay just as lovely as they do") it does sound like Pep is more than a little rattled...

CS_TBpsWUAMnrZ5.png

Back