• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Champions League 2015/16

It doesn't work in Scotland. One of the reasons the Premier league is such a lucrative product is because it is relatively competitive in that any team can beat another on any given day IMO. Take that away and you will lose some of the interest.

it doesnt work in scotland because celtic and rangers are brick (relatively speaking ofcourse). it works very well in spain because everyone in the world knows some of the best players play for barca and rm. just like how everyone knows some of the best players play for manu,city, chelsea.

what a misnomer to call our league the premier league, when theres teams like us who arent even the premier team in our own town
"Premier" refers to the top league in England nothing wrong with that. The Champions league, as I have already said, is populated by mostly non-champions.

it doesnt work in scotland because celtic and rangers are bricke (relatively speaking ofcourse). it works very well in spain because everyone in the world knows some of the best players play for barca and rm. just like how everyone knows some of the best players play for manu,city, Chel53a.

One of the strengths of the English game has always been that the competition is more evenly matched than in other countries and that teams are well supported deep into our league structure. Unfortunately, the league is less even and competitive than it used to be and a small group of clubs have a stranglehold on the league but we should fight tooth and nail against giving them any more power/money than they already had. Personally, if they want that then I hope they fudge off and form a European super league and leave the rest of us to get on with it.

"Premier" refers to the top league in England nothing wrong with that. The Champions league, as I have already said, is populated by mostly non-champions.

in that case, champions just as clearly refers to the top teams in europe (and argaubly the world)

the ucl.

why reduce it to something less attractive than it is now?

I think that it would be a more attractive competition if it was harder to qualify for and only the best teams were in it. It would not be popular with glory hunting fans though but the flip side is that most of the games would still happen but they would be in the UEFA Cup instead.

But that is where it came from whereas the premier in Premier League never came from the top team in each city being represented

who cares? at the end of the day its just a name. theres no sense of deception with the naming either. when people watch the champions league they know that they are watching some of the best teams in europe. it doesnt matter that they didnt win their domestic title. - and theres absolutely evidence that this is what uefa are trying to imply either

I think that it would be a more attractive competition if it was harder to qualify for and only the best teams were in it. It would not be popular with glory hunting fans though but the flip side is that most of the games would still happen but they would be in the UEFA Cup instead.

unfortunately, they make up an absolutely huge proportion of football fans. and football will always aim to serve the masses

in that case, champions just as clearly refers to the top teams in europe (and argaubly the world)

No it does not. The Champions League when it was re-branded from the European Cup in 1992 was comprised of the champions of each of the national domestic leagues. It was later on that the allso-rans were allowed in.

unfortunately, they make up an absolutely huge proportion of football fans. and football will always aim to serve the masses

Absolutely. That ship has sailed but I think that we need to do everything that we can to stop handing more power and money to an ever smaller group of clubs. The top four are a cartel set on locking out the other clubs and looking after their own interests.

No it does not. The Champions League when it was re-branded from the European Cup in 1992 was comprised of the champions of each of the national domestic leagues. It was later on that the allso-rans were allowed in.

yes, but now it has obviously taken on a new definition as a competition name

Absolutely. That ship has sailed but I think that we need to do everything that we can to stop handing more power and money to an ever smaller group of clubs. The top four are a cartel set on locking out the other clubs and looking after their own interests.

every club is just trying look after their own interests. and only the clubs that dont have much to look after are crying atm

Indeed, one devoid of meaning ;)

arguably it has taken on even more meaning and value. its a compeition for the "champion" clubs in europe - the creme de la creme of european football. ie. not us. :(

every club is just trying look after their own interests. and only the clubs that dont have much to look after are crying atm

I'd rather look after the interests of 42 league clubs than 4 champions league clubs. It is looking after the interests of far more football fans and fans of more clubs can live in hope of seeing their club win something.

who cares? at the end of the day its just a name. theres no sense of deception with the naming either. when people watch the champions league they know that they are watching some of the best teams in europe. it doesnt matter that they didnt win their domestic title. - and theres absolutely evidence that this is what uefa are trying to imply either
I am not aware of any other sport where positions 2-4 are regarded as "Champions." In fact Jose Mourinho says rightly that 2nd place is the first loser. If some one with no knowledge of football was to watch the Champions league they would be perplexed why the 2nd, 3rd and 4th teams were taking part. Let's face it the champions league was created and marketed as a way to ensure the money in the game remains with a relatively small group of "top" teams.

arguably it has taken on even more meaning and value. its a compeition for the "champion" clubs in europe - the creme de la creme of european football. ie. not us. :(

Do you believe what you are saying or do you just like arguing?

Back