• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

We haven't played with two DMs as far as i can remember under Pochetino and we're still using our full backs for width? I wouldn't hold your breath expecting that to change any time soon

What we have been lacking is pace and someone from the CM positions bursting forward to occupy opposition defenders, with Son in the 3 behind Kane and Dier playing in CM freeing his partner up to attack more we look to finally look to have those issues sorted and we fingers crossed we'll start to see the benefits

Last season Poch favoured the Masaleb combo as our two DMs. This was a big mistake imo. as a pair they are neither fish nor fowl. Not dedicated DMs ( a la Dier) and not box to boxers like Ali. Consequently our defence looked porous and our attacks lightweight. Now however, with a dedicated DM ( Dier) this has freed the other to attack and run in behind more giving us both more potency and a real defensive shield. To me this is more 4141.

In turn, this has allowed our AMs to be rid of their tracking back responsibilities and power press higher up the field. With more runners in forward positions, Lamela is starting to blossom and creating more. Simples really.

You really do just see what you want to see don't you?
4 defenders with full backs providing width? Check
Two central midfielders at the base? Check
3 attacking midfielders with the wide players inverted? Check
A lone forward? Check

It's the same set up as last season with a couple of alterations, no double pivot in the middle sharing responsibilities instead we have Dier taking care of the defensive side with his partner freed to attack more - and we now have an injection of pace which creates space/time for others to work in

I understand it must be hard for you to see it working well and us looking good using it when you've spent so long damning the inverted winger 4231 system as the cause of all our problems but that's what we're playing - with just as much width provided from the full backs and defensive responsibilities for the 'flair' players...

Last edited:
Last season Poch favoured the Masaleb combo as our two DMs. This was a big mistake imo. as a pair they are neither fish nor fowl. Not dedicated DMs ( a la Dier) and not box to boxers like Ali. Consequently our defence looked porous and our attacks lightweight. Now however, with a dedicated DM ( Dier) this has freed the other to attack and run in behind more giving us both more potency and a real defensive shield. To me this is more 4141.

In turn, this has allowed our AMs to be rid of their tracking back responsibilities and power press higher up the field. With more runners in forward positions, Lamela is starting to blossom and creating more. Simples really.

Today Alli was a lot more disciplined and stayed in a midfield two. How could we possibly have won?

There are a few of us :)

If I wanted to be anal I could relive a few posts some pages back.

But I dont want to be anal as Im so happy!

That is a glimpse of what I think he is capable of...he can still make better decisions in the final third, and of course he has to push on and not rest on his laurels. I find it strange some couldn't see the talent he possesses...I understand he is frustrating at times but those who had the opinion he was utter turd I found strange.

Onwards and upwards Lamela...glad you wear the lillywhite...well done lad!

Fingers crossed he pushes on and performs at that level (or higher) consistently for the season and beyond, if so we've got a player on our hands

I had written him off after the first couple of games this season, never thought he'd come good again - but he's been solid in his last few outings - so happy to see him score today! Brilliant. :D

He has to do this again and again

That started off a bit meh and then became immense

The way he celebrated the goal was class

Outstanding in the end would be my view

He needs to do it against brick teams that sit back now

He presses so well. The boy is relentless. Keeps going. His ability hasn't shone besides his decent set pieces. It's just the pure hardcore shift he puts in. A managers dream player and now he has the fans on his side finally.

I've always pleaded for patience with Lamela. Today is the reason why.. He will be a star for us.

Yep, same here. Nice to see his game coming together now, you could always tell he had ability from the flashes he displayed predominantly in the EL. Still needs to work on his touch, the ball still gets away from him on occasions but other than that he's looking very good at the moment.

He has to do this again and again

That started off a bit meh and then became immense

The way he celebrated the goal was class

Outstanding in the end would be my view

He needs to do it against **** teams that sit back now

good man... I know from before you said he was not suited to this league though you said he was talented.

He can do it in this league Im sure of it....that was the perfect performance for the epl!

He presses so well. The boy is relentless. Keeps going. His ability hasn't shone besides his decent set pieces. It's just the pure hardcore shift he puts in. A managers dream player and now he has the fans on his side finally.

He made himself a complete pest to the opposition today.

Best game I've seen from the satanic donkey

Nice move by Poch to let him get an ovation at the end.

Four good games in a row now. Undroppable.
Another assist from a corner.
People always are downplaying his assists stats with the amount coming from corners.
But there isn't anyone else in the squad that can take a good corner.

good man... I know from before you said he was not suited to this league though you said he was talented.

He can do it in this league Im sure of it....that was the perfect performance for the epl!

He has been woeful plenty of times but you have to give credit where it's is due

Last week was good, this week was very very good

He just needs to keep going

Great for him to get a bloody goal too and he took well

Back