• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Alarm Clocks and sleep

7percent

Pascal Chimbonda
I'm a terrible morning person. Find it so hard to get out of bed in the morning. Things will only get worse when the mornings get darker so I've got myself one of those artificial sunrise alarm clocks which will hopefully help. However the alarm tone is just a basic beep so figured I'd keep using my phone as the actual alarm.

This got me thinking that instead of the default alarm tones on my phone I could mix it up and have a little playlist. These are on my shortlist;

Circle of Life (Lion King)
Three Little Birds (Bob Marley)
Concerning Hobbits (Fellowship Of The Ring)
Also Sprach Zarathustra (Strauss)
Peer Gynt Suite No.1 (Edvard Grieg)

The idea being that I can set whichever app I use to wake me up with a different song each morning so I don't end up hating one song in particular. All the ones above are kind of nice/gentle songs so thinking I might set a horrible alarm for about 15 mins later as an insurance policy? I'm also thinking about adding more motivational sort of pumped up songs, think Rocky soundtrack?

Also thinking of trying the app 'Wakie', where a random person will call you at your designated time and will wake you up by talking to you.. anyone tried it?

I've got a fitness wristband that promises to vibrate to wake me up in the mornings but in practice it's not enough to wake me up, though I will keep the alarm on as it can't hurt.

I've recently read that hops are good at helping you fall asleep quicker, and that drinking a non alcoholic beer before bed could be good for you. The alcohol in a proper beer though would be bad for your quality of sleep. I may try this soon.

I also sometimes take a supplement called ZMA, it's got zinc, magnesium, and vitamin b6. It seems to help with quality of sleep and can give you quite vivid dreams. They also claim it can boost your testosterone and help repair your body quicker.

Last thing is I hear that having a regular sleeping pattern helps with tiredness and sleeping in at the weekend isn't good for you so willpower allowing I might try starting to get up at the same time every day :(

So which songs should I add to my wakeup list? do any of you fine sorts have any sleep/waking up tips or tricks?

To go with the natural light try Kate bushs a sky of honey cd. It starts with a dawn chorus of bird song.

There's some apps that make you complete a puzzle before they turn off, I used to find them helpful

Any song you use as your alarm you will end up hating, in my experience

That's why I'm thinking of making a little playlist.. If I only hear each song once a month or so I'm hoping I won't hate it quite as much..

Think I might try the puzzle/physically shake alarm apps.. get me moving to switch the alarm off.

So the speaker on my phone is poor at best.. I have a bluetooth stereo system in my room, but can't get the alarm to go off and bring bluetooth on with it.

Don't want to buy another alarm or a docking station as I've just spent £50 on a sunrise alarm clock.

Other option is to leave a bluetooth speaker on all night.. Do bluetooth speakers go into 'standby' mode? don't want to waste too much electricity. What are the chances my phone will wake the speaker up?

I know you said your phone speaker isn't great but an option should you fix that...

I had an app called sleepbot for a while, used it primarily for it's white noise function as it helps you get off to sleep, had a 20minute timer on it and I'd almost always be sound asleep before it kicked in - which was a great improvement from before... It also had an alarm which would start off quietly and build itself up over a few minutes which was meant to be good for waking you, had pre set noises like birds tweeting and stuff like that.

Another good function was that if you wanted to it would record your sleep pattern - sounds/movement and produce a little graph of how you sleep - could even listen back to points where there were high peaks in sound levels and hear yourself snoring/talking etc - you could then set the alarm to go off when you were in a light sleep cycle, which is meant to be the best time to be woken

Thanks Billyiddo. Can I ask why you stopped using the sleepbot app? The white noise function intrigues me. I had a look at youtube and it sounds a bit like being in an airplane?

I'm not sure about recording my sleep, I assume the phone would have to be in the bed with me? I do have a fitness band that tracks my sleep and have a look every day. Not had the most deep sleep lately.

Thanks Billyiddo. Can I ask why you stopped using the sleepbot app? The white noise function intrigues me. I had a look at youtube and it sounds a bit like being in an airplane?

I'm not sure about recording my sleep, I assume the phone would have to be in the bed with me? I do have a fitness band that tracks my sleep and have a look every day. Not had the most deep sleep lately.

Yeah you need the phone resting in your bed so it can detect movement and make use of the alarm function which goes off in a light sleep cycle - think you can do it on sound alone but not 100% on that.

I stopped using it when i moved in with the GF - she wasn't a fan of sharing a bed with a phone :D My sleeping habits have improved since using it though

Yeah you need the phone resting in your bed so it can detect movement and make use of the alarm function which goes off in a light sleep cycle - think you can do it on sound alone but not 100% on that.

I stopped using it when i moved in with the GF - she wasn't a fan of sharing a bed with a phone :D My sleeping habits have improved since using it though
I think you can hook that app (or a similar one) up to a smart watch or fitbit to detect the movement.

Back