• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

I had an argument with a friend who's opinion on football I rate v highly (played high level pro, now works within fitness side with clubs and watches nearly every type game he can) about him early this year (maybe xmas time) and i defended him saying that his work rate is good and his obvious skill level will transfer to match situations and he will be a great player. His only response was 'he's fudgeing ****'
I wish I had a friend who was a high level pro who now works within fitness side with clubs who watches nearly every type of game he can who could offer such thorough and erudite opinions for me when I can't come up with my own.

I was brought up on the basis that if all you're going to do is call someone a clueless clam you shouldn't say anything at all. So I'll keep my opinion of your friend to myself.

I wish I had a friend who was a high level pro who now works within fitness side with clubs who watches nearly every type of game he can who could offer such thorough and erudite opinions for me when I can't come up with my own.

I was brought up on the basis that if all you're going to do is call someone a clueless clam you shouldn't say anything at all. So I'll keep my opinion of your friend to myself.

I just find it funny that all the while LCLC was on here slagging him off, IRL he was actual defending him with the same arguments he argued against here

I just find it funny that all the while LCLC was on here slagging him off, IRL he was actual defending him with the same arguments he argued against here

Well that's the thing.

Someone can only be so poor for so long before you have to accept that the player will not be good enough for us/premier league.

The touch and sloppiness he has is unforgivable considering the free pass he gets by quite a few people on here.

Anyway I wish him luck tomorrow and I hope he proves me wrong

What would your views be on our coaching here? Obviously, we have a 25 man squad and with the EL, cups and league and maybe its naive to think of focusing a lot of time on just one player with games to plan for. Our aim is to have young players and to develop them though.

Well that's the thing.

Someone can only be so poor for so long before you have to accept that the player will not be good enough for us/premier league.

The touch and sloppiness he has is unforgivable considering the free pass he gets by quite a few people on here.

Anyway I wish him luck tomorrow and I hope he proves me wrong

I don't think he gets a free pass from anyone, im probably one of the first to defend him on here but am well aware of his faults and believe that's the case across the board, the difference is some of us aren't blind to his positive contributions either and anyone calling him useless or ineffective (or 'absoloute turd') can't be able to see the things he does well or, as i suspect, just flat out refuse to acknowledge them - which is strange seeings as he's clearly a player who at best needs to improve dramatically in order to have a future here so there's really no need to play down the few things he does well

I don't think he gets a free pass from anyone, im probably one of the first to defend him on here but am well aware of his faults and believe that's the case across the board, the difference is some of us aren't blind to his positive contributions either and anyone calling him useless or ineffective (or 'absoloute turd') can't be able to see the things he does well or, as i suspect, just flat out refuse to acknowledge them - which is strange seeings as he's clearly a player who at best needs to improve dramatically in order to have a future here so there's really no need to play down the few things he does well

Tell me where I have done that?

When he has a good cameo or does something good I think I will state. My opinion on him isn't very good so maybe I will be more critical than some.

The thing about his glimpses are that they are very similar to darren bent for us. Darren bent had great movement and was a good finisher and scored 17 in a stop start season for us.

However everything else he did was poor and he was out of his depth with regards to playing for Spurs in terms of touch, technique and team play. This is basically the same case as lamela in my opinion as amongst glimpses he consistently shows himself up as being one of the worst players in our first team

I wasn't actually soley referring to you, it was more of a general impression from the board in response to the idea you put forward that he gets a free pass, however as you ask, I don't have to go back far in your post history to see you describing him as 'useless'... 'absolute turd' was a direct quote from you funnily enough (probably from around the same time you were supposedly defending him to your 'mate') - anytime someone says something positive about his game you aren't far behind attempting to play it down - whether it's his work rate/pressing or his team-high assist rate or general creative capabilities, this is generally what I am describing in my previous post - there's enough negative aspects to his game to focus on without needing to play down the things he's actually pretty good at, which is the type of what stuff which points towards a bit of a bias/agenda IMHO

I'd like to know what exactly constitutes a free pass as like I said the posters I see defending Lamela appear to me to be more than aware of his faults and know he needs to improve. You're more than entitled to not rate him but don't accuse others of lacking balance (free pass etc) when it seems quite clear you lack any on the subject yourself.

Last edited:
Still not sure what some people are expecting from Lamela. He created a goal against Sunderland and now has scored against Qarabag, yet some people still not happy with him. He was involved in a lot of our attacks against Sunderland and Qarabag. Thought he was one of our best players against Qarabag, especially in the 2nd half. Apart from scoring the goal, he had a shot hit the post and also created a chance for Son with a good pass. Felt he was also harshly ruled off side when he was through on goal in another occasion in the 2nd half as well. And the way he scored the goal was classy as he expertly chipped the ball over the goalie. Looking at that and his reaction afterwards appear to show his confidence his growing this season. Just hope he will continue this form.

Still not sure what some people are expecting from Lamela. He created a goal against Sunderland and now has scored against Qarabag, yet some people still not happy with him. He was involved in a lot of our attacks against Sunderland and Qarabag. Thought he was one of our best players against Qarabag, especially in the 2nd half. Apart from scoring the goal, he had a shot hit the post and also created a chance for Son with a good pass. Felt he was also harshly ruled off side when he was through on goal in another occasion in the 2nd half as well. And the way he scored the goal was classy as he expertly chipped the ball over the goalie. Looking at that and his reaction afterwards appear to show his confidence his growing this season. Just hope he will continue this form.
he won't be the first that the fans just love to hate. and he won't be the last.

I hope he starts tomorrow, I think after an assist and goal in the last 2 matches he deserves another start to see if he can kick on. Having Son there should also help if his intelligent movement and pace helps create a bit of space for the others.

Is it so much to just expect him to have a MOTM display, an assist and a goal in 2.5 years????

Come on Erik we know it's in there somewhere!!!!

I wasn't actually soley referring to you, it was more of a general impression from the board in response to the idea you put forward that he gets a free pass, however as you ask, I don't have to go back far in your post history to see you describing him as 'useless'... 'absolute turd' was a direct quote from you funnily enough (probably from around the same time you were supposedly defending him to your 'mate') - anytime someone says something positive about his game you aren't far behind attempting to play it down - whether it's his work rate/pressing or his team-high assist rate or general creative capabilities, this is generally what I am describing in my previous post - there's enough negative aspects to his game to focus on without needing to play down the things he's actually pretty good at, which is the type of what stuff which points towards a bit of a bias/agenda IMHO

I'd like to know what exactly constitutes a free pass as like I said the posters I see defending Lamela appear to me to be more than aware of his faults and know he needs to improve. You're more than entitled to not rate him but don't accuse others of lacking balance (free pass etc) when it seems quite clear you lack any on the subject yourself.

Nail on head. I am surprised by the amount of negativity that Spurs fans have about our own players. A spacegoat is made to be the focal point of all frustration, and when said spacegoat actually has a good game those same fans can't accept. That is why I have a lot of respect for people like @Finney Is Back and others who have acknowledged the positive signs from Lamela without trying to downplay it.

He's our player and will play better if we support him. I was astonished on Thursday at how many of our so-called supporters feel perfectly entitled to lay into our own players. For those people I hope when they are at work, there is someone that constantly complains at every error they make, even if it wasn't an error. See how well you perform then. I'm actually starting to believe that we have some of the thickest and most fickle fans in the country.

Lamela had 5 goals and 8 assists in 45 matches (31 starts, 14 subs) last season. He has 1 goal and 1 assist in 5 matches (2 starts, 3 subs) so far this season. If he can get over 8 goals and 8 assists, he would have had a good season. Remember, only Berbatov, Lennon, Adebayor, Bale and Eriksen have had more than 7 assists in the league in the last 10 or 11 seasons. Just hope Lamela gets enough chances to show his worth this season.

Last edited:
Lamela had 5 goals and 8 assists in 45 matches (31 starts, 14 subs) last season. He has 1 goal and 1 assist in 5 matches (2 starts, 3 subs) so far this season. If he can get over 8 goals and 8 assists, he would have had a good season. Remember, only Berbatov, Lennon, Adebayor, Bale and Eriksen have had more than 7 assists in the league in the last 10 or 11 seasons. Just hope Lamela gets enough chances to show his worth this season.

It is more complicated than just that though. As things stand, it is hard to argue that he warrants a starting place, particularly when everyone is fit. I certainly do not like to see fans getting on his back and I hope that we can be patient and that he turns it around at Spurs.

It is more complicated than just that though. As things stand, it is hard to argue that he warrants a starting place, particularly when everyone is fit. I certainly do not like to see fans getting on his back and I hope that we can be patient and that he turns it around at Spurs.

Regardless of how he plays this season, want us to keep him atleast until he is 25. As most players peak at that age, we should keep him to see if he can prove his worth by then. We are not going to get back the 30m we spend on him. So, we might as well try to get as much output from him as possible.

Regardless of how he plays this season, want us to keep him atleast until he is 25. As most players peak at that age, we should keep him to see if he can prove his worth by then. We are not going to get back the 30m we spend on him. So, we might as well try to get as much output from him as possible.

I don't think that you can ever disregard performances and how can you motivate players to improve if you do? Lamela is playing for his future at the club and to improve into the player he can be.

Question. Despite the stats and goals, was darren bent good enough for Spurs? I think most fans would agree that during games his touch let him down, he made the wrong runs (our right back would have the ball and our lone striker would be by the other teams right back) and he was often counter productive to our play as he struggled to hold it up or bring others into play.

Despite on paper having a good return, no Spurs fans were sorry to see him go as he wasn't up to it. Take away the argentian caps and few audacious street skills, lamela is the exact same problem.

His overall play isn't good enough and he is lacking the physicality, touch and awareness to be a player for us. Not only has he never been close to a MOTM performance for us, he is usually one of the worst players on the pitch.

Imo the guy really isn't suited to the prem or us and just like soldado, paulinho, capoue, fazio - will never be a success at the club. Just to clarify I don't get on his back but I don't rate him at all and I think people are looking for anything to try and justify a blind faith in him.

Back