• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Absolutely, we must now show true patience because IMO, if you know your footie, it is very very clear that we have the foundations of a great thing with this squad. PERSONALLY I would still like a better CB than Verts (who gives me the jitters with his shirt-grabbing and going to ground all the time) of course he is a quality player and I am not unhappy with him BUT if we could find a CB with more calm command that would be great. Dier would've been my man but he is developing into a tidy DM...personally I think these are good days as we are the front end of an exciting thing growing...

Would agree with all of that except the bit about Jan, I do believe he reads the game better then our other defenders and the bit about him going to ground all the time is not true. There was a instance on Sun when they had a runner ( forgot his name) who left Toby for dead and Jan jockeyed him and eventually took the ball of him.

If he had dived in and lost the tackle the forward would have been one on one with Lloris.

Just for posterity I think we have to log this game as one where Poch made the right substitutions and did change a game with them.

With regards to Jan, my personal opinion is that he has the potential to be one of the best defenders in the world. I don't know if it is concentration or what, but the early signs this season are that he is getting back some of the form he showed when he first arrived. Our back 4 has looked more solid, and whilst Dier is a contributing factor I think the form of Vertonghen and Alderweireld has a lot to do with it. I think Parklane1 said it earlier in that the way the team is set up is allowing Jan to come out with the ball and draw one of the opposition out. This is what we need to do to break down the teams that defend and try to hit us on the counter.

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has revealed he phoned Luke Shaw to wish him a speedy recovery after his former Southampton star suffered a double leg fracture during the Manchester United 2-1 defeat at PSV on Tuesday night (15 September). The Argentine boss says he "felt sick" after he saw the injury but having also managed Hector Moreno during his time at Espanyol, he refused to blame the Mexico international for what happened.

United confirmed on 16 September that the England international has undergone a surgery in a hospital in Eindhoven – with the player expected to be out of action for much of the season. Having being the manager who oversaw the breakthrough of the 20-year-old left-back at Southampton before the player moved to Old Trafford, Pochettino admitted the injury has had a big impact on him.

"It's always difficult because he was crying, which is normal. You can understand after a big injury, not only for the pain but everything to do with the situation. It's always a difficult moment for a player," the Tottenham boss said as quoted by Standard Sport.

"He is much better today but I feel very sorry for him. It had a big impact on me. I watched the moment happen and I felt sick after I saw it. I can only give my support and wish a speedy recovery but now it's about thinking of recovery as soon as possible after his injury."

United manager Louis van Gaal, who coached Moreno during his time AZ Alkmaar, described the challenge by his former player as a very bad tackle worthy of a red card. But Pochettino said: "It was never the intention of Hector Moreno to do this but that is football. There is always danger and sometimes this kind of thing happens. It was unlucky for Luke."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/manchester...shaw-speedy-recovery-following-injury-1520001

Would agree with all of that except the bit about Jan, I do believe he reads the game better then our other defenders and the bit about him going to ground all the time is not true. There was a instance on Sun when they had a runner ( forgot his name) who left Toby for dead and Jan jockeyed him and eventually took the ball of him.

If he had dived in and lost the tackle the forward would have been one on one with Lloris.

It was the Dutch winger who looked a bit clueless to be fair

He was played in by Defoe and Jan jockeyed him from his right to the Left and just took the sting out of the counter

That for me is the best defending and I said that to my nephew who was watching with me at the time.

Alonso was an outstanding defensive midfielder who rarely and a tackle. He positioned himself to intercept or to make the opposition go where he wanted away from trouble

It was the Dutch winger who looked a bit clueless to be fair

He was played in by Defoe and Jan jockeyed him from his right to the Left and just took the sting out of the counter

That for me is the best defending and I said that to my nephew who was watching with me at the time.

Alonso was an outstanding defensive midfielder who rarely and a tackle. He positioned himself to intercept or to make the opposition go where he wanted away from trouble

All fans love to see a last ditch tackle that wins the ball but as you say the real top defenders do so by reading the danger and intercepting or nicking the ball. Maybe before you time but one of the best players/defenders for that was the great Bobby Moore.

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has revealed he phoned Luke Shaw to wish him a speedy recovery after his former Southampton star suffered a double leg fracture during the Manchester United 2-1 defeat at PSV on Tuesday night (15 September). The Argentine boss says he "felt sick" after he saw the injury but having also managed Hector Moreno during his time at Espanyol, he refused to blame the Mexico international for what happened.

United confirmed on 16 September that the England international has undergone a surgery in a hospital in Eindhoven – with the player expected to be out of action for much of the season. Having being the manager who oversaw the breakthrough of the 20-year-old left-back at Southampton before the player moved to Old Trafford, Pochettino admitted the injury has had a big impact on him.

"It's always difficult because he was crying, which is normal. You can understand after a big injury, not only for the pain but everything to do with the situation. It's always a difficult moment for a player," the Tottenham boss said as quoted by Standard Sport.

"He is much better today but I feel very sorry for him. It had a big impact on me. I watched the moment happen and I felt sick after I saw it. I can only give my support and wish a speedy recovery but now it's about thinking of recovery as soon as possible after his injury."

United manager Louis van Gaal, who coached Moreno during his time AZ Alkmaar, described the challenge by his former player as a very bad tackle worthy of a red card. But Pochettino said: "It was never the intention of Hector Moreno to do this but that is football. There is always danger and sometimes this kind of thing happens. It was unlucky for Luke."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/manchester...shaw-speedy-recovery-following-injury-1520001
that was a really nasty tackle and its sad that it happens to anyone. (except Wheelchair and adams).

Having the youngest team is great stat and obviously having academy players coming through is hugely encouraging. Its clear that we need to run this way with the new stadium coming up following Arsenals model. It was interesting to see Gerrards comments that Poch wanted him here and maybe that type of player is what were are missing the most. At least we know we are looking for that type of player and could learn from Arsenals mistakes.

problem with having the youngest team is the players have no one to learn from. no experience.

Which is why we need to give this side another season together. Besides, I would argue that we have experience. Vertonghen - international defender for what, 3-4 years? Alderweireld - same, Dembele and Chadli, same, Lloris - French international, we have young players who gaining a lot of experience. In fact, I would argue that Kane has a lot of experience for his age. Now, if you're talking a Naybet or a Davids, I agree. But then it's down to philosophy. And we have clearly decided that having, for example, a Fazio around potentially blocks off a Dier or Wimmer from developing. I frankly think it's a brave policy and one which will bear fruit. In fact, I think this squad is going to come v very good indeed within the next year.

Two interesting Poch moments today.

• Close to the end gonad*ed Njie/Kane, anyone else who would listen, for not closing down the keeper after a backpass.
  • But then earlier on, Palace broke quickly, and Chadli, Kane and Lamela decided they would all stay up - we looked like we were playing 4-3-3 for five minutes. Poch didn't say a word.

Last edited:
Mauricio Pochettino wanted it to hurt and it did. His Tottenham Hotspur team had just lost the Capital One Cup final to Chelsea last March and his players probably wanted to run off the Wembley pitch and keep running. But Pochettino made them gather to watch as, one by one, Chelsea’s triumphant players hoisted the trophy skywards.

“It is important to show respect,” Pochettino said. “But it is also important, after you lose, to stay and see the trophy that you had the possibility to win. This is a feeling that you don’t want to repeat. You can always learn from defeat. This was a good lesson for us.”

Tottenham learned from the lows of what was a transitional season last time out but, equally, they drew strength from the highs and it was one of those that Pochettino could feel more at ease in highlighting as he prepared for Wednesday night’s return to the Capital One Cup, in which his team face Arsenal at White Hart Lane.
The previous home game against their local rivals finished in a 2-1 win, a shot in the arm for Pochettino’s tenure which was marked by Harry Kane’s double, and the manager knows that a repeat performance would galvanise the club’s season.

It has been a curious start at White Hart Lane, in which performances have not been swashbuckling and there was disquiet after the transfer window closed with no out-and-out striker signed to support Kane.

But Pochettino’s team have generated a bit of momentum, with back-to-back 1-0 wins over Sunderland and Crystal Palace, either side of the 3-1 Europa League victory over Qarabag, and Arsenal’s visit seems like a potentially defining moment.

“This means more than going into the next round of the Capital One Cup, or three points in the league – it has a massive effect,” Pochettino said. “It is the derby. It was important to win this game last season – for the players and for the belief in the philosophy. And it’s very important to win it again. You beat Arsenal and it’s a big impact.

“After, we would need to follow it [up]. We play Emirates Marketing Project on Saturday, Monaco next Thursday and Swansea on the Sunday. But it’s true that this is special. You can feel it in the changing room and in the training sessions.”

For Pochettino and Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager, there are difficult questions that relate to rotation and the degree of it. Wenger will make at least two changes, with Santi Cazorla suspended after his red card in the 2-0 defeat at Chelsea on Saturday and Francis Coquelin injured, but more are anticipated.

Pochettino will rest Toby Alderweireld, as the centre-half has played every minute of the season so far – he is the only Tottenham player to have done so – and he is considering changes in all departments.

Son Heung-min, the attacker signed from Bayer Leverkusen in the summer, has made a flying start to his Tottenham career, injecting pace and tempo and impressing with his versatility, but, with Christian Eriksen back to fitness, he is not certain to start. Kieran Trippier and Danny Rose are expected to be selected in the full-back positions.

Arsenal arrive after defeats at Dinamo Zagreb in the Champions League and Chelsea. There have been issues over their discipline in both matches, as well as their concentration on set pieces, and it is stating the obvious to say that Wenger needs a result. The last time Arsenal lost three times in a row was in April 2010.

“Every single game that you play you want to win but especially this one,” Wenger said. “It is a bit more special because it’s always a big meaning. We want to get back into winning habits and that’s why the momentum is even more important for us.”

Pochettino swerved the question about whether it might be a good time to play Arsenal but he made it clear that he wanted to challenge them for supremacy in north London. “We are a different club but it’s true that Tottenham need to be ambitious, to win a trophy in the next few years and to stay at the top of the league,” Pochettino said. “We have massive, massive potential to become bigger than we are now.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/22/tottenham-arsenal-capital-one-cup-memories

Today is the day Poch lost me ... strategy & rotation are great theories, but you adjust for special occasions, and he obviously doesn't see a Cup game vs. Scum game at WHL as special.

Where do you start

- Do we really need to rotate/rest people in fudging September?
- Lloris can play against Quarabag but not the Scum?
- Did Alli, Son really need resting? (Son obviously full of confidence, gets thrown on in end and never gets up to pace of game)

Appalling management, that game was completely winnable, instead we gifted it to the Scum.

Loser mentality, play to win the game in front of you .. just not good enough

It was a game for me where he didn't use his subs well...

The game was crying out for pace and energy as we had Njie and unknown quantity but rapid with a point go pros sat there for 86 minutes

His pace against their slow centre backs could have created plenty

Did we play badly? No

Were Ar5ena1 better than us? No

Does this result really matter? Nah

Are we Liverpool? Feck no

Wow .. a cup result against the Scum doesn't matter ... obviously I took a wrong turn and am on some other clubs message board

problem is it didn't matter to Poch ..

Back