• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Erik Lamela is our quintessential creative player he has the vision and can execute the pass to go with it.

I would also agree that he has massive potential, a high ceiling which probably explains why I spend a bit of time on here defending the kid. No need to get carried away over a 24 min cameo...he has lots to do/prove.

though my belief is that there is something special there that if we can bring it out of him....could make a big difference to our chances this season.

Pochettino: Big season for Lamela

Erik Lamela has failed to live up to the hype since joining Tottenham and Mauricio Pochettino has urged the midfielder to prove his worth.

Mauricio Pochettino said Erik Lamela is facing a make-or-break season, with the Tottenham manager calling on his fellow Argentinean to prove his quality.

Lamela has failed to live up to the hype since joining Tottenham for a club record £25.7million in 2013, scoring just two Premier League goals.

The Argentina international was close to leaving White Hart Lane during the transfer window, with Porto and Inter among the reported suitors.

Lamela, however, remains a Tottenham player and the pressure is now on to justify his price tag, according to Pochettino.

"We believe we can develop his game and I think we need to be patient with him," Pochettino said of Lamela, who provided the assist for Ryan Mason's match-winning goal against Sunderland last week.

"It's true, now is the third season here, but we believe in him and we want to give the opportunity to show his value. We have a lot of games to play, for competition, we need a good player in all positions. I think with the squad we have, we have a very good balance.

"I think this is a key season for him. After two seasons at Tottenham, now is the moment for him. Not to put pressure, but it's true. It's a key moment for him to develop and to move on his game. It's important."

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/pochettino-big-season-lamela#0gq2fofBrsbdZFY2.99

Yep, well said our exalted head coach...couldnt agree more, we need to do everything we can and he needs to prove his quality....work to do on both sides.

If we need one player to step up from nowhere and grab our season by the horns then its probably him, though I also have hopes for Pritchard.

GHod I love Poch, love him so fudging much.. He just says all the right things at all times. I can't get enough of the refreshing integrity and honesty. Don't ever change Mauricio.

I think the huge 30m transfer fee is a big burden on Lamela. If we had bought him for 15m or less, he would be under less pressure of expectations to perform.

It seems like almost all the players we bought for 15m or more struggled after signing for us. These are the top 10 expensive players we have bought :
1) Lamela 30m
2) Soldado 26m
3) Son 22m/18m
4) Paulinho 17m
5) Bent 16.5m
6) Defoe 16m
7) Modric 15.8
8) Dembele 15m
9) Keane 15m
10) Bentley 15m

Frankly, we overpaid for all the above players. Of the above 10, only Modric/Defoe had some success, Keane(2nd time)/Soldado/Paulinho/Bent/Bentley were total flops and Lamela/Dembele still struggling. This is where Son will be under lot of pressure to prove his worth. Dembele is already 28, so needs to show his true potential this season or will be regarded as a failure with us. But Lamela and Son are only 23 and got plenty of time to show their true potential. Want us to keep Lamela until he is atleast 25 as most players peak when they are around that age.

I think he had a very positive impact on the weekend although He should've at least put that header on target.

"We believe we can develop his game and I think we need to be patient with him," Pochettino said of Lamela, who provided the assist for Ryan Mason's match-winning goal against Sunderland last week.

""It's true, now is the third season here, but we believe in him and we want to give the opportunity to show his value.

Hmmm... more than a hint of revisionism there, IMO. He'd be at Marseille now if the deal hadn't been yanked when it became clear Berahino wasn't happening, so I'm not sure how much of 'we believe in him' I'd be believing in if I were in Lamela's shoes. You never know, though, it could turn into one of those happy accidents that he ended up staying, so let's hope he continues to make the best of it.

Also, who is better than him in the squad? The guys deserves a chance.

I know footballs changed but if this was 1994 he would be playing every game after such a big transfer fee and then there would be a fairer reflection on his success, or not.

Also, who is better than him in the squad? The guys deserves a chance.

I know footballs changed but if this was 1994 he would be playing every game after such a big transfer fee and then there would be a fairer reflection on his success, or not.

Eriksen, Chadli, Kane, Dembele (most likely Son) and will put my house that Pritchard will show more when given a chance. Even Townsend changed the game on Sunday and could warrant a start. When in pre season I see Josh Onomah playing out of position and looking better, its v easy to see how bad he has been for extended periods.

He came on Sunday and looked good for 15mins, but there are a lot of players there who are (IMO) better footballers and also deserve a chance if playing well. It's good to have competition but there is no way you can say that he deserves a chance over others who have been better? As of Sunday he should keep his place in the squad this weekend but if he plays how he has done in the other games then he should be behind quite a few of those guys.

reading this thread... smh...
do some people not realize this is a team game? even players that didn't touch the ball in the lead-up to the goal contributed in some small part to it.

also, i think lamela did great in the short amount of time that he was on, but i know some commentators gave him crap for putting in a weak challenge on kaboul when he was crossing from our left flank. definitely should've done better there since he mostly whiffed the tackle but at least he attempts to press and defend.

reading this thread... smh...
do some people not realize this is a team game? even players that didn't touch the ball in the lead-up to the goal contributed in some small part to it.

also, i think lamela did great in the short amount of time that he was on, but i know some commentators gave him crap for putting in a weak challenge on kaboul when he was crossing from our left flank. definitely should've done better there since he mostly whiffed the tackle but at least he attempts to press and defend.

Lamela was fortunate that Sunderland only hit the post from that attack. I am sure people would have blamed Lamela if they had scored from it. Frankly, defensive duties are not one of Lamela's strengths. He should just concentrate on our attacks.

Lamela was fortunate that Sunderland only hit the post from that attack. I am sure people would have blamed Lamela if they had scored from it. Frankly, defensive duties are not one of Lamela's strengths. He should just concentrate on our attacks.
I agree that (when playing) Lamela should be freed up from defensive duties as he cannot tackle and is a liability back there, at the other end of the pitch his energy and pressing are good attributes however. The problem is that this means giving him the number 10 role and (the real problem) he doesn't really deserve to have that role in the team on his past performances.

f8325fa191d493e3fdaca02c4890d560.gif

hmmm did not do enough for me...

lovely taken goal....better in the second half...but the same old bad habits were on show again.

I have kept faith with him but I can honestly say that 1st half especially was not good enough for a player of his ability and it does not help him to stake a claim in the first team.

Start him in the league cup against Arsenal......a better atmosphere and another chance for him to show us he should be a contender for our first 11.

Back