• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...finishes-15-pass-tottenham-move-at-sunderland

Check out the ball at around 37 seconds

The ball from lamella bounced a couple of times and Mason had to stretch to bring it under control.. hence why he alms missed it

Its great highlighting an amazing pass but it was actually a half decent pass but excellent vision
You can quite clearly see from the close up that at the point he hits the pass, it is on the deck and not immediately bobbling. It does so as it passes over the D of the penalty area. How should Erik have avoided that?

Can see most of the build up to the goal from around the 4minute mark in this clip.

IMHO it's nice to have a few players like Lamela, Mason and Kane who are on the same wavelength in order to even execute an attacking move like that.

Had it instead been Dembele playing in the pocket I would've expected one of his trademark pirouettes followed by a safe sideways pass to Davies.

You can quite clearly see from the close up that at the point he hits the pass, it is on the deck and not immediately bobbling. It does so as it passes over the D of the penalty area. How should Erik have avoided that?

Bounces twice actually. Maybe just lay it to him over the ground

I think we're splitting hairs but if you look at any of the passes that were made in that build up there were bobbles which suggests that it was something they were all suffering with. I get that people should not get carried away with the vision/pass but at the same time I don't think we should overly critique it. He will need to do far more of this regularly to justify his transfer.

I agree. My comment was more aimed at Spurs 7891 who made a comment about Masons touch and control

The pass was IMO pretty standard and basic for any half decent footballer. The vision to play it is where better players excel.

Bounces twice actually. Maybe just lay it to him over the ground

I agree. My comment was more aimed at Spurs 7891 who made a comment about Masons touch and control

The pass was IMO pretty standard and basic for any half decent footballer. The vision to play it is where better players excel.

If Lamela had played the pass with less weight (in order to compensate for the bobbly pitch) then it would've given Kaboul the opportunity to get back into position (after following Kane up field) and O'Shea to cut out the pass (which he was only inches away from getting a touch on as it was).

I think we're in danger of over critiquing and over analysing (!!) both Lamela's pass and Bedford's comments. He's simply saying, imho, that it was the vision rather than the pass that was outstanding which is true. The pass itself is simple, the vision to see it and think of executing it great.

Exactly

Let's not laud and applaud a guy for making a 10 yard pass that shy half decent player can and should make

Let's highlight what was the stand out element of the move which was the vision to make the pass

Reactions: DTA
Exactly

Let's not laud and applaud a guy for making a 10 yard pass that shy half decent player can and should make

Let's highlight what was the stand out element of the move which was the vision to make the pass
And the run to receive it. Both players deserve credit, they've had their detractors but kept going and I say well done and keep it up.

Any 10-year old would have been able to pass the ball around the bumps on the pitch. Lamela clearly isn't even at the 10-year old level. Sell him now! :p

Exactly

Any half decent player can hit a spot with the ball 9 times out of 10. What makes a player outstanding is which spot he hits it to. To break it down the way you did is a bit disingenuous, therefore. It's like saying "let's not laud a player because he can run; let's laud him because he ran to the right spot." Well, duh.

It was all about Mason's run and Sunderland opening up. If our players had that space and maDe that run every game we would play that pass 9/10 times but when have we had that opportunity in previous games?

It maybe a premier league defence but it was still a simple pass and for a £30m player it should be one of the easiest assists he will get.

The goal was all down to MasoN and poor defending and i would say this even if it was my favourite player that played the ball.

It was all a out Mason's run and Sunderland opening up. If our players had that space and make that run every game we would play that pass 9/10 times but when have we had that opportunity in previous games?

It maybe a premier league defence but it was still a simple pass and for a £30m player it should be one of the easiest assists he will get.

The goal was all down to MasoN and poor defending and i would say this even if it was my favourite player that played the ball.

@glasgowspur said it right, it's the combination of the pass and the run. Without the run there is no pass, without the pass there is no assist. The debate as to whether any footballer should be able to spot the run or perform the pass is more theoretical than practical. The point is that you need players to do both aspects and Lamela is one of the few that we have that can spot this (some would argue that he does so consistently). The others would be Kane, Eriksen, to some extent Chadli and Mason himself.

I do disagree that it is one of the easiest assists that he will get. Look at any football match in the EPL and see the number of times those passes are blocked out or just don't come off because they've been over or underhit, or the direction completely wrong. It's akin to saying that any professional footballer should be able to have a good first touch, yet time and time again we see countless examples of all calibre of players having a poor first touch. The ones that do it more often than not are the ones that get the credit.

It was a good team goal and everyone involved, particularly Mason and Lamela, should get their fair share of credit without us all trying to dilute any praise a particular player gets. Talk about a difficult lot to please!

It was all about Mason's run and Sunderland opening up.

And why do you think that happened? Sunderland opened up due to the rapid interchange between the players, thus enabling the opportunity for the goal. If the likes of Chadli and Dembele were involved in that move then they'd have taken one too many touches and the opening would not have appeared. Credit where credit is due, we sliced them open with a well constructed passage of play. Nothing groundbreaking but nice nonetheless.

Lamela has proven yet again that he is our most creative player. He had 8 assists in all competitions last season. Now he has already got one. Hope he can get more this season. Just wish he can score more goals ! I am convinced he is the best passer of the ball at Spurs. It was inch perfect the way he passed the ball to Mason to score against Sunderland. It was similiar to the pass he made to Chadli to score against Ar5ena1 last season.

These are the highlights of Lamela from last season. Look at his assist for Chadli against Ar5ena1 (from 3:50 onwards). It is masterclass the way he sets up Chadli despite being surrounded by 3 or 4 Ar5ena1 players. Looking at the video, it is proven he does have the skills to excel in EPL. If he can have some consistency, he can be a good player for us !

Not sure if serious

Plus your other post make me think you are on a wind up

I think he has the highest ceiling of any of our players. Not sure if he'll ever get to that ceiling but he certainly has more potential than anyone else at the club.

It's comments like these that make me criticise him more than I ever want to. One or two decent cameos in 6 months and we get comments like this!

On Sunday he came on, kept it simple, made one clever pass round the corner and also made a well weighted pass that can be considered a good assist anywhere. I was genuinely pleased for him. For me the run of Mason and Kaboul getting sucked out of position too easily was what allowed him to make a pretty straight forward pass as long as he weighted it well...which he thankfully did. It was a cameo where he looked like a good player - nothing more, nothing less.

Maybe he will go on top be a good player in Serie A, La liga (fingers crossed the prem) and he obviously has a lot of raw skill, however for Spurs he has been really poor. Plus if you look at his past he has had 2 very good seasons and he has also been poor/innocuous for 4 seasons (1 in Argentina, first year at Roma and two season for us). For us he has constantly made the wrong decisions, showed poor vision mixed with a few moments of class, had a poor touch, showed average athleticism etc etc. It irks me when people look at his Rabona as a means of showing his class - it is a playground trick that shows raw ability but not footballing ability necessarily.

He was a prodigious youth team player but to say he has the highest ceiling out of all our players is frankly disrespectful to quite a few of our boys.

You are saying he has a higher ceiling than Kane? Someone with 31 goals in a competitive league, finishing quality of either foot, 6ft 3, good technique, strength and very good footballing intelligence!? Surely he has the potential to be one of the best strikers around?

Christian Eriksen - a guy who has shown a vastly superior footballing brain, footballing execution and skill? Someone who has delivered for us on important occasions and who has shown himself as a player in the Champions League from a young age?

Hugo Lloris - French Capt, exceptional keeper and only now coming into his prime?

Nabil Bentelab - shown an ability to control premier league midfields since the age of 19 for sustained periods and despite some inconsistency (like most young players) he has shown great heart, technique and strength in there.

Thats not to mention players like Rose and Walker who with their physical attributes and developing skillets could go onto to be top draw full backs if they continue to improve and avoid injury!!

Personally as a Spurs fan, I would say players like Chadli and Mason have shown more skill and footballing intelligence than him. To make the call that he has the highest ceiling would be to make assumptions based on very little of what you have seen, the odd Rabona, the crazy Serie A season where he took the tinkle and a TV documentary from when he was 12.

Reactions: DTA
It's comments like these that make me criticise him more than I ever want to. One or two decent cameos in 6 months and we get comments like this!

On Sunday he came on, kept it simple, made one clever pass round the corner and also made a well weighted pass that can be considered a good assist anywhere. I was genuinely pleased for him. For me the run of Mason and Kaboul getting sucked out of position too easily was what allowed him to make a pretty straight forward pass as long as he weighted it well...which he thankfully did. It was a cameo where he looked like a good player - nothing more, nothing less.

Maybe he will go on top be a good player in Serie A, La liga (fingers crossed the prem) and he obviously has a lot of raw skill, however for Spurs he has been really poor. Plus if you look at his past he has had 2 very good seasons and he has also been poor/innocuous for 4 seasons (1 in Argentina, first year at Roma and two season for us). For us he has constantly made the wrong decisions, showed poor vision mixed with a few moments of class, had a poor touch, showed average athleticism etc etc. It irks me when people look at his Rabona as a means of showing his class - it is a playground trick that shows raw ability but not footballing ability necessarily.

He was a prodigious youth team player but to say he has the highest ceiling out of all our players is frankly disrespectful to quite a few of our boys.

You are saying he has a higher ceiling than Kane? Someone with 31 goals in a competitive league, finishing quality of either foot, 6ft 3, good technique, strength and very good footballing intelligence!? Surely he has the potential to be one of the best strikers around?

Christian Eriksen - a guy who has shown a vastly superior footballing brain, footballing execution and skill? Someone who has delivered for us on important occasions and who has shown himself as a player in the Champions League from a young age?

Hugo Lloris - French Capt, exceptional keeper and only now coming into his prime?

Nabil Bentelab - shown an ability to control premier league midfields since the age of 19 for sustained periods and despite some inconsistency (like most young players) he has shown great heart, technique and strength in there.

Thats not to mention players like Rose and Walker who with their physical attributes and developing skillets could go onto to be top draw full backs if they continue to improve and avoid injury!!

Personally as a Spurs fan, I would say players like Chadli and Mason have shown more skill and footballing intelligence than him. To make the call that he has the highest ceiling would be to make assumptions based on very little of what you have seen, the odd Rabona, the crazy Serie A season where he took the tinkle and a TV documentary from when he was 12.
I wouldn't expect you to agree, I know you have a severe dislike of the kid.

From any objective point of view, he has far more skill than anyone else in our team - to me, that means his ceiling is higher. That doesn't mean he will achieve that ceiling - we only need to look as far as Townsend to see what a load of skill and nothing else ends up like.

Quite interesting and whilst I can see the logic of what you are saying, I cannot help but see the irony of how you have completely downplayed his achievements in the same extreme which you are finding quite distasteful in the opposite. He's not a world beater yet, in fact he's not proven himself to be premier league class but to say that he has been really poor is unfair. We've gone over the reasons, but in this game alone he created more chances than any other player despite having fewer minutes.

I have no problem with people wanting to see him fulfil his potential, but that is the key point. He has that potential. Don't use other people's high hopes as a reason to criticise the kid. That is just unfair.

Back