• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The post transfer window discussion

"Two steps forward, Two steps back;
We can look forward to our ear-ly sea-son crash"

What steps have we gone back?

Do you not think Dier/Winks/Carroll/Milos can do as good a job as Stambouli did last season?

Do you not think Son/Njie can do as good a job as Soldado did last season?

IMO we've gone one step forward, while most of our competitors (Liverpool, Arsenal, Soton) haven't even done that.

july8_night_aerial_view730.jpg

It's what the last 6 years have been about

It's what the next 3 years will be about

I really don't understand how people can still believe any different.
Agreed and then the big ENIC exit $€€$

Not worried about the lack of a DM signing. Was never convinced we were after Wanyama seriously or that we really needed him. I don't think Dier is 'a CB playing at DM' just as Bale wasn't a 'LB playing at LW'. Poch had clearly identified he liked him in the role and he is performing well there. We also have Bentaleb, Mason and Carroll (who will hopefully get more of a chance).

Upfront, looks like a bit of a disaster but maybe this could be the making of Lamela in a forward position. NJ can also play there and of course we have Kane.

I think people may ridicule my last sentence but at the end of the day, signing Berahino wasn't going to turn us into title contenders. Besides, looking across our squad, we can be incredibly proud at the sheer numbers of academy graduates, young English players or simply young players are making up important positions in our squad. It may not look ideal but we are working towards a stadium, and for the first time in a long time it looks like we aren't going to put undue pressure on the manager to far surpass our position. We have someone who can develop young players and we seem to be letting him do that. Let's enjoy the ride, seeing what develops in front of our eyes rather than moaning at every misplaced pass and thinking that it means we won't be top 4 next year. For the while at least, who the heck cares? Let's build a club, let's build a spirit, and let's watch these lads grow together.

What would you have done different?

If we were REALLY going to make a late bid for Berahino at least pay a higher up front fee; payng in installments is fine, but just £5M up front? That is REALLY a joke given what we ask for ourselves in fees.
Make a concerted offer for Imbula BEFORE he was poached by Porto - did we even bid for him? No doubt we were speculating on making a id. Young, up and coming and with good energy; he would have freed Bentaleb and Mason fully to do their thang.
Oh and like others have said; if N'Jie was near the top of our target list why not get him in two weeks before we did so we could integrate him in the squad and start the season? We did it for our defenders, why not for N'Jie or other attacking targets?

What steps have we gone back?

Do you not think Dier/Winks/Carroll/Milos can do as good a job as Stambouli did last season?

Do you not think Son/Njie can do as good a job as Soldado did last season?

IMO we've gone one step forward, while most of our competitors (Liverpool, Ar5ena1, Soton) haven't even done that.

Two steps forward: keeping Lloris, getting in some pace in the attacking areas plus some likely upgrades in defence
Two steps back: one CF; ONE. Further rep of being penny-pinchers and lowballers. Will likely be even harder to be taken seriously in the next window imo

How N'Jie/Son do is no more guaranteed to how Soldado, Stambouli, Paulinho, Capoue etc have one.
Oh and likely when we do get a CF or DCM, we'll lose our bonafide World Class player in Lloris, so hence why i say two steps forwards, two steps back...

If we were REALLY going to make a late bid for Berahino at least pay a higher up front fee; payng in installments is fine, but just £5M up front? That is REALLY a joke given what we ask for ourselves in fees.

ALL transfers are paid in equal instalments across the length of the contract. That's just how they work

£5m Y1, ££5m Y2, £5m Y3, £5m Y5, £5m Y5. That's completely typical

Well my major concern at the end of last season was getting our CM ( which imo was our weak point last season) sorted out, I really thought we had to make a DCM a priority which we have not done. However I believe that Dier has the ability to do the job and having seen him in our first four games I would say he has been our most consistent player so far. So I am happy about that. We have also seen a improvement with Mason who was a weak link last year by moving him further forward and we also look like we have a good player in Alii.

Another striker would have been good as well but I do not believe its all doom and gloom on that point with the arrivals of the two new guys who can fill in if needed.

We have vastly improved our defence with the signing of Toby and tripper so we are look better there as well.

We have got rid of most of the deadwood and players Poch thought was not needed so that is also a positive.

So overall I believe ( imo) we are stronger then last season and that the window was mostly a good one.

ALL transfers are paid in equal instalments across the length of the contract. That's just how they work

It is also "typical" to pay, say £10M, £5M, £5M etc.
There is no one way yo pay as you well know and if you REALLY want the player you will adjust payment structure accordingly

My impression is that this is standard for international deals, but that domestic deal tended to be more upfront. I doubt there are strong rules, though. The deal changes so that it can be done. Real Madrid famously promised the Ronaldo money upfront and Fergie might be wondering if he should have spent it, rather than leaving it to the genius of van Gaal and assorted Glazer kids pocket money.

Kept hold of Lloris and Kane and bought in some decent defenders like Alderweireld and Trippier. Let go alot of the deadwood like Paulinho and Capoue which is all good business.

Failed to get in a proper defensive midfielder and any cover for Kane. Players that can maybe "do a job" there isn't good enough for a team supposedly aiming for a Top 4 finish. We might get lucky and Dier will be great but if Kane, a striker who isn't scoring at the moment, gets injured then we're in big trouble. Chances are he will be playing most cup games as well as international football and end up being burnt out before christmas.

Perhaps burnt any bridges with Southampton and West Brom should we want to do business with them in the future, and any other clubs will be cautious when dealing with us as well.

Last edited:
Make a concerted offer for Imbula BEFORE he was poached by Porto - did we even bid for him? No doubt we were speculating on making a id. Young, up and coming and with good energy; he would have freed Bentaleb and Mason fully to do their thang.
Oh and like others have said; if N'Jie was near the top of our target list why not get him in two weeks before we did so we could integrate him in the squad and start the season? We did it for our defenders, why not for N'Jie or other attacking targets?

This is the problem we don't have any real facts, yet again. Let's say we have £5m cash to use as a first payment, not ideal, but we have all been there. We go with what we have. Don't see a problem it as an initial down payment on a deal.
WBA don't like it and they say no. We all move on/negotiat or pull out, no foul there.

We are so used to see the mega clubs pay silly amounts for players, we as fans are now quite blaise about £5m.
None of use have any idea of the details involved in the offer just paper talk or rumour from interested parties.

If Levy's bid was too low, then so be it, but if that's all the cash we had, we have to live with it. The only thing that Levy was guilty of was failing to get the guy. If you want to get your knicker in bunch because we did not have enough money, you are going to be very 'uncomfortable' and with regularity!
We do what we can do - never knock anybody for doing thier best! Not even Levy!

I see no upside in Spurs/Levy deliberately tinkling WBA and player off.
yes it's disappointing - but brick happens!

Last edited:

I don't know why you insist on making such concrete statements all it does it make you look stupid - there is no set rule in football transfers and clubs will work transfers on a deal by deal basis

The trust have released this:

It is always difficult for a supporters’ organisation to pass comment on the detail of transfer deals – deals that are business transactions conducted privately. We can, however, take note of the general approach to and results of the Club’s transfer activity.

We have, in line with most fans, congratulated THFC’s Board on running the Club as a sustainable business – avoiding the financial problems that have affected many clubs over the years. We recognise the need to balance a sustainable business strategy with the need to deliver an entertaining and successful team.

At the end of this season’s transfer window, however, we find ourselves questioning where we have ended up. Some areas of the squad have looked light as we played four games in August, and that remains the case as we move into the main part of the season. We welcome the good signings that have been made, but are concerned at the gaps that still exist and the pressure this places on the manager and the team.

Spurs made the highest ever pre-tax profit in the Premier League last year - £80m. Revenues went up 22% to £180.5m. Ticket prices for top class games remain among the highest in the Premier League. Next year, the Club has informed us it wants to increase those prices.

Many supporters are now questioning the relationship between what we pay and what we receive. We understand the Club is trying to finance a new stadium, but we have also heard that this will not be allowed to unduly affect the playing side. And no doubt we will be asked to dig deep to watch the team in the new stadium, once it is built.

This is not the first time the team has gone into a season looking light. We believe fans have shown enormous patience over the years. But we understand why that patience is starting to run out. It is important the Club is run on successful business lines, but the success of the business depends on sporting success – the kind that attracts crowds and fills new stadiums. We think a credible explanation from THFC’s Board to address the genuine concerns of supporters, many of whom have backed the current Board consistently, is now required.

http://www.thstofficial.com/thst-news/tottenham-hotspurs-transfer-window

This is the problem we don't have any real facts, yet again. Let's say we have £5m cash to use as a first payment, not ideal, but we have all been there. We go with what we have. Don't see a problem it as an initial down payment on a deal.
WBA don't like it and they say no. We all move on/negotiat or pull out, no foul there.

We are so used to see the mega clubs pay silly amounts for players, we as fans are now quite blaise about £5m.
None of use have any idea of the details involved in the offer just paper talk or rumour from interested parties.

If Levy's bid was too low, then so be it, but if that's all the cash we had, we have to live with it. The only thing that Levy was guilty of was failing to get the guy. If you want to get your knicker in bunch because we did not have enough money, you are going to be very 'uncomfortable' and with regularity!
We do what we can do - never knock anybody for doing thier best! Not even Levy!

I see no upside in Spurs/Levy deliberately tinkleing WBA and player off.
yes it's disappointing - but **** happens!

As the supporters trust says, we made the biggest ever pre-tax profit in the PL profit of £80M last year, revenues up 22% to £180.5M and for some of our game the club charges some of the highest prices in the land. Based on this what makes you think we couldn't afford to put a bigger downpayment for Berahino?

This situation has not just come out of nowhere; failure to take calculated risks and take advantage of decent positions we've found ourselves in has happened several times before. We now seem to be struggling to buy young PL standard attacking players, never mind the likes of Lloris, Verts, VDV etc.

The common denominator being Levy and our board not looking to take those calculated 'speculate to acumulate' risks. The reputation of being a miser/low-balling chancer (as unfair as that may ultimately be) has been allowed to solidify in this window and may be almost impossible to reverse and i can see more clubs deciding the 'Levy' us, just for the hell of it now. Another opportunity missed...

Once again a trust statement manages to instantly boil my tinkle, I'm gonna have to write another letter to the club distancing myself from the needy fudging prose of people with way too much time on their hands (yeah yeah, says the guy with 12000 posts on a web forum) and delusions so grand they felt the need to gather debate and officially comment within hours of the window closing.

My view is were in a miles better position than last season when we finished 5th

Yep we didn't sign a striker who would come in as Cover for Kane... I still can't think of anyone who plays like him, is good enough and would happily come as cover. There are plenty of players I'd have liked but we didn't get them and frankly i don't mind

Our biggest weakness last year was defending and we have significantly upgraded the defence.

The midfield now is full of depth if not experience and Dier has been very good in an unfamiliar position at this level which bodes well for his development. We also have alli who really could be anything with games and experience and Mason hasn't been to shabby in the Games he has played

We have addressed the lack of pace issue in the attacking third and that will naturally open up teams Imo and crate even more chances for us to take. Son has A good scoring record and add that to Erisken and Chaldi plus whatever njie brings and suddenly we have options. Also Njie and Son can and have both played as a forward so there now the cover for Kane if a very different style of player

So we have IMO added a better defensive side to the team, more lace and arguably goals and now have younger players with more experience. That's a good window for me

Oh and ee have shifted a lot of dead wood with only Ade left which is fudging amazing when you consider how bad some of them had been at times

Back