• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Equally you could not get an assist when you yourself skin 3 players and cut the ball back for Soldado to miss from 5 yards. So yeh, you have to go with a feel for the type of player he is.

IMO he is a obviously a creative player, he's just not playing well so therefore he's not actually creating anything at the moment. That doesn't change the type of player he is (well, tries to be).
That bit sums it up.

That bit sums it up.

It does, whether he actually ever makes it as a creative player in this league still remains to be seen. I'm still just about in the give him some time camp based on his performances last year, which weren't fantastic but did show some potential.

If by the end of this season we're not seeing anything from him I don't think we have much choice.

Well that's where we will have to differ. Just because he was our 2nd/3rd most creative player doesn't necessarily mean he can be described as "creative". For the record, Chadli doesn't create enough either but he chips in with his fair share of goals and in general making very good runs into the box into goalscoring positions. I don't know why you've chosen to get so stroppy with my post above. I think everyone would agree that Saturday was a new low for Lamela. I would settle for him just being creative and not scoring at this moment in time and being a steady Eddie rather than being such a liability like he was at the weekend.

I'm not getting stroppy mate, frustrated maybe when I see things about putting too much weight on assists and stats when I've gone to great lengths to explain that is not what I am doing and lay my thoughts out in detail, many times before.

Cool...I feel I have explained why I think he's creative and that I have supported that opinion with something objective - you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink I suppose ;)

Remember Bale was inconsistent-to-poor for 3 years before he found his feet.

This summer could be another 'thank goodness Redknapp didn't get his way and flog him to Forest' moment.
Bale showed proper awesomness early on before his injury though, so thats not a decent comparison.
The run/goal against Fulham. The length of old trafford pitch run. The free kick against the goons. Plus what he had done already done at Southampton.
Lamela is showing no forward progress and has no platform here either.

Bale showed proper awesomness early on before his injury though, so thats not a decent comparison.
The run/goal against Fulham. The length of old trafford pitch run. The free kick against the goons. Plus what he had done already done at Southampton.
Lamela is showing no forward progress and has no platform here either.

His second season was better than his first = progress

He was one of our better creative players last season = a platform to build upon

:p

His second season was better than his first = progress

He was one of our better creative players last season = a platform to build upon

:p
All technicaly correct. However, when I watch him play, its so frustrating I want to gouge both my eyes out with spoons.

2 eyes before he signed.

1 gouged out last year.

Another game like Stoke, and out comes the last one.

2 down to 0 = Regression.

;-D

I agree with this. And give him EL and Cup starts - gives him an easier platform to build from

Agree with this. Stick him in all the EL games and Cup early rounds, get him going in matches he seemed to do well in and rest up Clinton or Pritchard or Townsend for the EPL games. Won't lose too much value if doing well in those style of matches rather than over exposure in the EPL. If he seems to hit a purple patch give him a go in EPL to see if he can really get going.

Well however many games he played his first season, this is still his 3rd year in England regardless of how many games he has played in total. Even when he was injured, he would have been on the bench watching the games up close to get some kind of feel for the pace of the league and the intensity.

I would say he barely contributed. I've said many times that I believe assists to be an overrated stat, even if they weren't, it's not like he got an overwhelmingly positive number of assists (think it was something like 5, a few of which were corners). That to me is like saying Adebayor contributed to us finishing 5th in AVB's first season when in reality he was useless.

I believe there is possibly some talent in there, but he certainly hasn't played anywhere near a level to be described as "talented".

I ask the question again, how long do you persist with a player who is chronically underperforming? Especially given that he now seems like a complete liability even coming off the bench when are winning.

looks like Billyiddo & Gazza's booties have addressed many of your questions.

I would persist for as long as it takes to drag the performances out of him because I believe the quality is there, you obviously dont.
I think again its harsh to blame saturdays capitulation solely at Lamela's doorstep, but yes he was poor.

Without running the risks of going in circles I think its best we agree to disagree, have always got on with you Jurgen, and your great for this forum so please dont take any offence to my defence of Lamela.:)

I personally think comparisons with bale's development is wide of the mark.....by a large margin to be honest.

Bale was played in a position that he was not destined for and anyone with an eye could clearly see that his problem was a confidence one..despite all his "problems" he still showed tons of promise every time he stepped out on the field even though he made some key errors that people focused on.

and in fact after he finally got a consistent run out...... the world never saw that other troubled bale again

its completely unfair to use bale as a comparison as to why lamela should be persevered with...infact i would say that's a hospital pass debate wise.

Everyone needs to make up their own minds about the kid.....sorry kid?....young man; he has been here a while and the investment we made is fasting becoming a depreciating asset? how many more years does he have on his contract? is he going to sign a new one? which would show that he actually wants to b here to develop...cause if not we really need to start thinking sales as we will be losing our bargaining power by the bucket load for an asset that hasnt shown the high ceiling in this league to warrant serious bargaining power on a winding down contract

looks like Billyiddo & Gazza's booties have addressed many of your questions.

I would persist for as long as it takes to drag the performances out of him because I believe the quality is there, you obviously dont.
I think again its harsh to blame saturdays capitulation solely at Lamela's doorstep, but yes he was poor.

Without running the risks of going in circles I think its best we agree to disagree, have always got on with you Jurgen, and your great for this forum so please dont take any offence to my defence of Lamela.:)

let me ask you something.....

does lamela make your starting 11?
If so ahead of who?
If we are trailing and you want to bring someone on that has a chance , a good one, to get us back in the game,..i.e an instant impact player...is lamela the guy you desperately want to come on?
If we are trying to control a 1 goal or even 2 goal lead.......do you bring lamela on?

Good morning African,

starting 11 & instead of who - At the moment I think he is slightly behind others in terms of the pre season he has had, so without being the coach and able to see where he is compared to others, fitness and form wise(on training pitch), probably not at the moment...thinking ahead if everyone's sharp, then yes he would make my starting 11.....

---Kane---
---Lamela--- ---Njie---

---Eriksen---

To explain...yes I would play Lamela as along with Eriksen, always basically especially at home as I believe they are our most creative players, I would want Lamela to come inside and play the supporting striker role making a link between Kane and Eriksen, defensively I would want him to track the opposition full back as well so quite a job. Now while I think that Eriksen, Lamela & Kane can all link up well I have put Njie in there and taken out Chadli, reason being Njie provides the pace to our attack the others dont have, In all honesty I cant vouch for Njie has havent seen him play, Not being harsh on Chadli who chips in with goals but he would miss out I suppose, so to clarify a winger with pace on one side, Lamela cutting in getting close to Kane on the other and Eriksen play the no 10 role being the link between cm's and atttack.

Impact player - difficult question to answer because it depends on the circumstances and performances of others, but yes I would bring him on to chase a deficit as I rate him but in terms of player style, no I dont think he would be our best imapct player from the bench, if we are chasing a goal then I would want another striker, or some directness/pace against tired legs if Njie was on the bench. As above I would start him and would depend more on others to impact things from the subs bench if things are not going well for us. I think your question is...do you trust him??? its obvious my answer is yes.

Trying to control a lead - No Erik would not be the first name that springs to mind if I wanted to shore things up...he is an offensive player, but again it depends on the circumstances of the match...as in which area of the pitch are we losing a battle.
Both the above questions relate to the clubs failure of going into two competitive matches with only Kane as a recognized striker, This is not Lamela's fault, and in some ways he drew the short straw replacing Kane last week...but that does not excuse his level of peformance against Stoke that wat quite clearly below par.

Hope that answers your questions ok, I need to get a bowl of porridge now.

I personally think comparisons with bale's development is wide of the mark.....by a large margin to be honest.

Bale was played in a position that he was not destined for and anyone with an eye could clearly see that his problem was a confidence one..despite all his "problems" he still showed tons of promise every time he stepped out on the field even though he made some key errors that people focused on.

and in fact after he finally got a consistent run out...... the world never saw that other troubled bale again

its completely unfair to use bale as a comparison as to why lamela should be persevered with...infact i would say that's a hospital pass debate wise.

Everyone needs to make up their own minds about the kid.....sorry kid?....young man; he has been here a while and the investment we made is fasting becoming a depreciating asset? how many more years does he have on his contract? is he going to sign a new one? which would show that he actually wants to b here to develop...cause if not we really need to start thinking sales as we will be losing our bargaining power by the bucket load for an asset that hasnt shown the high ceiling in this league to warrant serious bargaining power on a winding down contract

I didnt personally compare him to Bale, others before me pointed out he took his time to come good and stated maybe we should give Lamela more time.

I dont think it helps to compare him to Berba, Bale, modric or anyone else.

but peeps will always compare him to bale as we spent big money on him to replace Gareth and thus far he has not managed to have reached the levels that Bale did wearing our shirt.

Good morning African,

starting 11 & instead of who - At the moment I think he is slightly behind others in terms of the pre season he has had, so without being the coach and able to see where he is compared to others, fitness and form wise(on training pitch), probably not at the moment...thinking ahead if everyone's sharp, then yes he would make my starting 11.....

---Kane---
---Lamela--- ---Njie---

---Eriksen---

To explain...yes I would play Lamela as along with Eriksen, always basically especially at home as I believe they are our most creative players, I would want Lamela to come inside and play the supporting striker role making a link between Kane and Eriksen, defensively I would want him to track the opposition full back as well so quite a job. Now while I think that Eriksen, Lamela & Kane can all link up well I have put Njie in there and taken out Chadli, reason being Njie provides the pace to our attack the others dont have, In all honesty I cant vouch for Njie has havent seen him play, Not being harsh on Chadli who chips in with goals but he would miss out I suppose, so to clarify a winger with pace on one side, Lamela cutting in getting close to Kane on the other and Eriksen play the no 10 role being the link between cm's and atttack.

Impact player - difficult question to answer because it depends on the circumstances and performances of others, but yes I would bring him on to chase a deficit as I rate him but in terms of player style, no I dont think he would be our best imapct player from the bench, if we are chasing a goal then I would want another striker, or some directness/pace against tired legs if Njie was on the bench. As above I would start him and would depend more on others to impact things from the subs bench if things are not going well for us. I think your question is...do you trust him??? its obvious my answer is yes.

Trying to control a lead - No Erik would not be the first name that springs to mind if I wanted to shore things up...he is an offensive player, but again it depends on the circumstances of the match...as in which area of the pitch are we losing a battle.
Both the above questions relate to the clubs failure of going into two competitive matches with only Kane as a recognized striker, This is not Lamela's fault, and in some ways he drew the short straw replacing Kane last week...but that does not excuse his level of peformance against Stoke that wat quite clearly below par.

Hope that answers your questions ok, I need to get a bowl of porridge now.

Why would you start Lamela when the three Spurs managers have never really given him a guaranteed starting place? Do you know more than they do? More importantly, why would you start Njie? You don't know how good he is or how well he will fit into our team or English football.

This is why we still have the debate about Lamela, because people judge players from youtube, buy into the player emotionally and can't let go.

As for Lamela, personally I haven't seen any evidence he can make it in England, he is not strong enough, he loses posession far too easily, and as far as assists, if some of you think a corner is an assist, I assume you were also justifying Soldados by his penalty scores too.

Our best performances last year didn't have either Lamela or Soldado starting, that should tell you something.

Why would you start Lamela when the three Spurs managers have never really given him a guaranteed starting place? Do you know more than they do? More importantly, why would you start Njie? You don't know how good he is or how well he will fit into our team or English football.

This is why we still have the debate about Lamela, because people judge players from youtube, buy into the player emotionally and can't let go.

As for Lamela, personally I haven't seen any evidence he can make it in England, he is not strong enough, he loses posession far too easily, and as far as assists, if some of you think a corner is an assist, I assume you were also justifying Soldados by his penalty scores too.

Our best performances last year didn't have either Lamela or Soldado starting, that should tell you something.

I did answer some of your points in my original post...I told you why I would start him as I believe he is one of our most creative players, I dont recall ever stating I knew more than AVB,Sherwood or Poch, I was asked a question and I gave an answer...I never expected universal approval, I was just stating my opinion. No I dont know Njie my point was that attacking front 4 needed some pace so I put him in there...please enlighten me to who else in our attack has pace? I like Chadli and he is a right time right place kind of player...all explained above.

The assists bit has been covered really well by millsy, billy and gazza's boots....

I consider us beating Arsenal 2-1 last year as up there with our best peformances, Lamela was a part of that.

I have judged Lamela from what I have seen in our shirt, as in I think there is more to come. as to buying into players emotionally then maybe I am as guilty as charged. but the day I apologise for believing and supporting in our players is the day I attempt to suck my own ba*ls

let me ask you something.....

does lamela make your starting 11?
If so ahead of who?
If we are trailing and you want to bring someone on that has a chance , a good one, to get us back in the game,..i.e an instant impact player...is lamela the guy you desperately want to come on?
If we are trying to control a 1 goal or even 2 goal lead.......do you bring lamela on?

Tbf, none of that necessarily proves that he isn't any good.

I hate to bring this back to Bale as i agree the comparisons are unfair on Lamela, but as the situations are similar i feel as though it's necessary. If you asked yourself the same questions when Bale was in that run of bad form would the answers have been any different? Back then, could Bale be relied upon to be an impact player? no. Could he be trusted to control a lead? no. Was he an automatic starter? no. Does any of the above prove that he is a bad player? no.

I don't think anyone that is defending Lamela believes that he has been in glittering form, far from it, but on the few occasions that it has clicked for him he has looked an exceptional talent. His potential, not his form is the main reason why i'd personally still like to see him be given a generous amount of opportunities to prove himself.

Last edited:
Back