• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Poch today: "Lamela is part of my plans, the team. We hope that this is the season he really shows his quality.”

hope hope hope

lets hope then that Poch starts him every game and really gives him a chance otherwise its all hot air

hope hope hope

lets hope then that Poch starts him every game and really gives him a chance otherwise its all hot air

Is that sarcastic?

He has had more than enough games and support from fans and players.

I would put him up for sale and get him out of the club to help fund signings BUT that is just me. Give him till Xmas and if he continues on the same track he has been on for two years then start to push out for next summer. Let him get fit and given a chance at 10 cause on the right he hasnt got the tools

he's not going to cut it in the Prem (2 weeks to prove me wrong sonny!!!!)

If Juve make the offer, it'll be better for all - and we have 17 inside right forwards now anyway (they seem to be the new right-back).

If he was going to make it, I think it would have been as a no 10 (or the Beardsley role, as men of my age would accurately liken him to). Don't think thats going happen, with Eriksen and so many other out of position N10's wanting to play there though (i.e. Mason, Carroll - according to Poch, Chadli, Pritchard, Dembele - if Poch stops the RW experiment, etc)

Remember Bale was inconsistent-to-poor for 3 years before he found his feet.

This summer could be another 'thank goodness Redknapp didn't get his way and flog him to Forest' moment.

This summer could be another 'thank goodness Redknapp didn't get his way and flog him to Forest' moment.
Bale was 17 when we signed him, though. Lamela had already had a great season in Serie A when we signed him. He's just not cut out to play in the prem, and the sooner he goes back to Italy the better for all parties.

Bale was brilliant when we signed him and he first played for Jol. The fans took to him straight away because of that. Maybe Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.... but I don't really ever remember him being poor?... I remember him being a bit of a baby, but don't recall him having a terrible first touch, getting tackled virtually every time he tried to dribble the ball, conceding a free kick every time he attempted to make a tackle or misplacing umpteen 10 yard passes?

Bale was brilliant when we signed him and he first played for Jol. The fans took to him straight away because of that. Maybe Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.... but I don't really ever remember him being poor?... I remember him being a bit of a baby, but don't recall him having a terrible first touch, getting tackled virtually every time he tried to dribble the ball, conceding a free kick every time he attempted to make a tackle or misplacing umpteen 10 yard passes?

This. Bale was quality from the off. I could tell that he would be something special from almost his first game for us. I didn't I know HOW special he was going to go on and become. But it was obvious to anyone who knows football, even a little, that Bale was special

This. Bale was quality from the off. I could tell that he would be something special from almost his first game for us. I didn't I know HOW special he was going to go on and become. But it was obvious to anyone who knows football, even a little, that Bale was special

I think you may have been in the minority there. There were plenty of folk in the stadium on match days complaining about him and how weak he was. It obviously didn't help that he was being played at left back! Then there was the whole "we never win a premier league game with him in the side" and there were a fair few people saying he should be sold.

It's besides the point though. Poch obviously believes that he can get something from Lamela. Let's hope that he does.

I think you may have been in the minority there. There were plenty of folk in the stadium on match days complaining about him and how weak he was. It obviously didn't help that he was being played at left back! Then there was the whole "we never win a premier league game with him in the side" and there were a fair few people saying he should be sold.

It's besides the point though. Poch obviously believes that he can get something from Lamela. Let's hope that he does.
Again, I don't remember that. I remember him scoring a free kick or two very early on for us. I remember the fans singing "Bale, Bale, Bale!" very early on as well. I remember him being a bit of a bottle job, but never him looking substandard technically (as Lamela clearly does) The thing about us not winning a PL game with him in the side was also a bit exaggerated as lots of those appearances were when he came on as a late sub. Also it wasn't really knowledge until we had actually got a win with him playing as far as I remember?

very few of us anticipated the Rise of Bale, most saw him as an injury prone, poor left back who we could not win with in the side.

It really is amusing because no-one was really raving about him until the fa cup display against Peterborough....Redknapp put him in due to injuries and from there the rest is history.

I find some of the comments regarding Lamela very baffling, people are so confident that he is s**t and thats it! no way back, sell, sell, sell.

Lets be serious here, you don't break into the Argentinian national team with the attacking options they have if you are s**t. So s**t that he led the way with assists last season, talked up when he was at Roma as one of the hottest prospects in world football! he scored goals in Italy where the defences are generally tighter than here. New country, three managers, and some of the most unforgiving fans in the country....yeah good luck Erik.

Maybe he isn't suited to us, maybe he will never 'get' this league but he isn't s**t, never is, never will be, the guy needs confidence and will never get it playing in-front of our fans because were generally just not patient and were pretty much gits. Whl is becoming, post Bale, a lovely graveyard where top talent is destroyed at a young age.

Anyone with a decent level of human understanding can see the lad needs a bloody big cuddle and to be told everything is ok.

So Erik here's a cuddle from me! 'Its ok keep putting in the effort'.

I still believe in him and none of you feckers will sway my beliefs!! and I respect that I wont change many others opinions still people stating they believe in OUR players shouldnt be subjected to replies from others suggesting men rush round asap to apply a straightjacket.

That is correct. There was never any debate whether Bale had the tools in is locker to be a success. Even in his rookie year under Jol, he immediately showed his class, his shooting and ability to run with the ball. Bale's problem was physical and mental - not surprising cause he was a rookie 17 year old whose body had not still reached physical maturity. Once the happened he was able to consistently show the ability that he had exhibited in fits and starts.

Lamela is 4 years older and wiser yet continues to repeat the same schoolboy errors he showed in his first game; he is manifestly a fish out of water. Unable to control a ball, run with it, dribble past opponents and put in a couple of decent shots. At least in previous game he could be counted on to be 30 mill niggler if not a clogger; judging by the Stoke match that seems to be now called in question.

Soldado was also "in his plans".... indeed we can only hope ;)

I still believe in him and none of you feckers will sway my beliefs!! and I respect that I wont change many others opinions still people stating they believe in OUR players shouldnt be subjected to replies from others suggesting men rush round asap to apply a straightjacket.

I'm with you, tbh i'd like to see him start v Leicester.

I see it like this, barring Eriksen who i rate highly, we have a bunch of decent attacking mids at the moment performing at a decent level, none of them really excite me too much and their potential is perhaps not that great but for the moment we are ticking along rather sufficiently due to their performances, particularly Chadli. Lamela's displays on the other hand have on the whole been pretty poor but due to his imo greater potential i'd still rather see him be given the opportunity to prove himself more often than not above the others.

There is every chance that he'll continue to stink up the place but with Lamela it's very much a 'better fail aiming high as opposed to succeed aiming low' type thing for me. I wouldn't go as far to say we should relentlessly persist in playing him if he was performing particularly badly, but i would like to see him be given a generous amount of games to prove himself.

If he fails to show any signs of improvement by January then yeah i'd accept if Poch decided to get rid, but i'd ideally like to see him given the entire season to prove his worth.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but comparing him to Bale is like comparing the Vatican to a Pub

Bale was outstanding in his first 10 or so games

We gradually became brick and he suffered injuries and growth spurts

At no point did he look a poor footballer, but he did look inexperienced

The guy had pace, control and energy... And showed that in spades

At no point in lamellas career to date has he shown anything meriting him being able to lick the sweat of Bales gonad*s

Even when lamella is playing at the best of his current limitations he is never the best player on the pitch, let alone the club, the league or arguably the world at a point in time

We gradually became **** and he suffered injuries and growth spurts

At no point in lamellas career to date has he shown anything meriting him being able to lick the sweat of Bales cobblers

Even when lamella is playing at the best of his current limitations he is never the best player on the pitch, let alone the club, the league or arguably the world at a point in time

Amen Brother!

I would love Lamela to turn his spurs career around but I cant see it, he doesnt seem to have any particular attribute which makes me think wow theres something in this kid.

Bale always had his pace and a great left foot. Lamela is just average, I think his biggest quality is his engine the lad does seem to run about a bit.

Spurs should have saved themselves 30m and had me on a free and pay me nothing and I will put in the double shift Lamela does! :)

His biggest quality so far has been his defensive effort...from an attacking player

He clearly is a trier but he just isn't suited to this league

I wanted him from day 1 and I saw him look exceptional a lot of the time in what has ultimately turned out to be an awful Italian league

In practical terms of you were to go to none spurs fans and offer them Lamella or Bolasie for example there would all go for Bolasie ... He was playing non league I think only a few season back

very few of us anticipated the Rise of Bale, most saw him as an injury prone, poor left back who we could not win with in the side.

It really is amusing because no-one was really raving about him until the fa cup display against Peterborough....Redknapp put him in due to injuries and from there the rest is history.

I find some of the comments regarding Lamela very baffling, people are so confident that he is s**t and thats it! no way back, sell, sell, sell.

Lets be serious here, you don't break into the Argentinian national team with the attacking options they have if you are s**t. So s**t that he led the way with assists last season, talked up when he was at Roma as one of the hottest prospects in world football! he scored goals in Italy where the defences are generally tighter than here. New country, three managers, and some of the most unforgiving fans in the country....yeah good luck Erik.

Maybe he isn't suited to us, maybe he will never 'get' this league but he isn't s**t, never is, never will be, the guy needs confidence and will never get it playing in-front of our fans because were generally just not patient and were pretty much gits. Whl is becoming, post Bale, a lovely graveyard where top talent is destroyed at a young age.

Anyone with a decent level of human understanding can see the lad needs a bloody big cuddle and to be told everything is ok.

Cracking post. Sums up my thoughts perfectly. Thank you!

That is correct. There was never any debate whether Bale had the tools in is locker to be a success. Even in his rookie year under Jol, he immediately showed his class, his shooting and ability to run with the ball. Bale's problem was physical and mental - not surprising cause he was a rookie 17 year old whose body had not still reached physical maturity. Once the happened he was able to consistently show the ability that he had exhibited in fits and starts.

Lamela is 4 years older and wiser yet continues to repeat the same schoolboy errors he showed in his first game; he is manifestly a fish out of water. Unable to control a ball, run with it, dribble past opponents and put in a couple of decent shots. At least in previous game he could be counted on to be 30 mill niggler if not a clogger; judging by the Stoke match that seems to be now called in question.

Soldado was also "in his plans".... indeed we can only hope ;)

I wish this forum had the posts from then so we could prove it one way or another. Either way, I will not write him off and when he is a success I'll be rubbing all yours faces in it! ;)*

*Obviously this is a tongue in cheek comment. I know all of you would love for him to succeed! :p

I wish this forum had the posts from then so we could prove it one way or another. Either way, I will not write him off and when he is a success I'll be rubbing all yours faces in it! ;)*

*Obviously this is a tongue in cheek comment. I know all of you would love for him to succeed! :p

I would absolutely love that... Alas I don't see it happening but if he can turnout around the woo hoo

He's been disappointing for over 2 seasons now, how long do you stick with a player who is underperforming and how long does it have to be until you say it is no longer considered a slump?

With regards to playing for Argentina, all due respect, but he has played 10 times, I could name plenty of players who have played more times for their country who are poor players, David Luiz for one has played over 50 times for Brazil. I'm not saying Lamela is poor, but I have come to the conclusion that he is not cut out for the league and he's unfortunately reached that point similar to Soldado where his confidence has deserted him. And judging by the atmosphere when he came on against Stoke, I think the majority of the WHL faithful have all but given up on him and some even turned on him.

No offence, but his coach is the same nationality as him, I'm sure has shown more faith and patience with him than Redknapp or AVB would have for example.

We gradually became **** and he suffered injuries and growth spurts

At no point in lamellas career to date has he shown anything meriting him being able to lick the sweat of Bales cobblers

Bale always had potential, far more than Lamela has. He too was disappointing, but not to this degree. Bale used to run past players, deliver a great cross and score the odd free kick every now and then.

Back