• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***The official health and fitness thread***

Dunno if your still about Millsy Yiddo but if you are would like to offer you my gratitude for advice that you gave me when I started lifting weights last year.

Had a little blip but have got back into it with a bang this year....

Doing a 5x5 routine at the moment and getting the most out of my power cage and olympic weight set....Its a slow process but im getting stronger and lifting more and more....dont know what I would do if I didnt have my three lifting sessions per week......

Thanks again millsy for taking the time to give good advice when I was starting out.

Dunno if your still about Millsy Yiddo but if you are would like to offer you my gratitude for advice that you gave me when I started lifting weights last year.

Had a little blip but have got back into it with a bang this year....

Doing a 5x5 routine at the moment and getting the most out of my power cage and olympic weight set....Its a slow process but im getting stronger and lifting more and more....dont know what I would do if I didnt have my three lifting sessions per week......

Thanks again millsy for taking the time to give good advice when I was starting out.

No worries mate, glad it's going well. Getting back into it myself after a fairly lengthy spell away (had my 2nd little one 4 months ago). Keep us updated on how you're getting on!

No worries mate, glad it's going well. Getting back into it myself after a fairly lengthy spell away (had my 2nd little one 4 months ago). Keep us updated on how you're getting on!

Last year I stopped in September.....had my squat up to 85, was trying Rippetoe's routine 3x5, deadlift was 100 bench 55 and press 45kg.

Started again 28th April (I keep a diary of what I lift)....so basically been going 2 months strong and started the 5x5 routine four weeks ago.....Im finding the 5x5 much more productive and Im not stalling so fast as I am going up 2.5kg on everything each session provided I complete the 5x5....I go up 5kg on deadlift though.
Not big numbers in the powerlifting world I am sure..... but I did 92.5 squat on monday and just failed 95kg yesterday (didnt help I was nearly melting in my garage) so I am close to my initial target of squatting 100kg .....I am so close I can taste it!....of course I want to go further than that but that is a special number for me atm.

deadlifted 110kg 1x5 on wednesday, bench press is up to 55kg, oh press I did 47.5kg......swapped cleans for barbell rows.

just loving my time in my gym.....getting much more sleep than before this is helping alot in my recovery and feeling fresh for the next session....also eating like a monster.....starting to see positive changes in my shape.

Someone also told me to push harder.....regarding squatting which I initially thought was poo poo advice....(how the heck can I push harder?) strange thing is it works...at the bottom of the squat I repeat the words in my head and it seems to help no end.....it has certainly helped because I had some mental block with 87.5kg on squat.....kept failing at it so to get past that marker recently felt very good indeed.

Last year I stopped in September.....had my squat up to 85, was trying Rippetoe's routine 3x5, deadlift was 100 bench 55 and press 45kg.

Started again 28th April (I keep a diary of what I lift)....so basically been going 2 months strong and started the 5x5 routine four weeks ago.....Im finding the 5x5 much more productive and Im not stalling so fast as I am going up 2.5kg on everything each session provided I complete the 5x5....I go up 5kg on deadlift though.
Not big numbers in the powerlifting world I am sure..... but I did 92.5 squat on monday and just failed 95kg yesterday (didnt help I was nearly melting in my garage) so I am close to my initial target of squatting 100kg .....I am so close I can taste it!....of course I want to go further than that but that is a special number for me atm.

deadlifted 110kg 1x5 on wednesday, bench press is up to 55kg, oh press I did 47.5kg......swapped cleans for barbell rows.

just loving my time in my gym.....getting much more sleep than before this is helping alot in my recovery and feeling fresh for the next session....also eating like a monster.....starting to see positive changes in my shape.

Someone also told me to push harder.....regarding squatting which I initially thought was poo poo advice....(how the heck can I push harder?) strange thing is it works...at the bottom of the squat I repeat the words in my head and it seems to help no end.....it has certainly helped because I had some mental block with 87.5kg on squat.....kept failing at it so to get past that marker recently felt very good indeed.

Sounds like you're making progress mate, good work! The squat is a strange exercise in that on loads and loads of occassions I've lifted the weight off the rack and thought 'fudge this is heavy, I'll never get 5' yet still manage to grind it out. I've never actually failed a squat as in had to dump the bar on the safety rack. So I'd probably agree with that advice.

With the 5 x 5 just keep an eye on your form in the last 2 sets when things get heavy. Sometimes novice lifters let things slip and don't notice because they don't know enough about the movement or are just too bloody tired to notice/care.

What height and weight are you again?

Last edited:
yeah know what you mean about keeping form in the last two sets.

height is 173cm weight is now up to 67.5kg...was about 63kg this time last year.

not alot worse than failing at squats...burnt out on the ground on your knees....knowing you have to take all those plates off and put them back on again....nightmare!

If you get a bit of a mental block on squats and you are using a power rack, try some heavy partials, or just unracking the bar and standing there with it, for a much heavier weight than you are going to squat. When you go back to your normal squat weight, it will feel light when you unrack it and you will feel strong in the descent . If your strength is there, than that little boost can help you get the weight that has previously psyched you out.

Loving my running right now! I'm at the stage now where I'm starting to notice serious improvements. I've taken 2 minutes off my 5k best time this year & set new fastest mile tonight.

Is this what you are referring to with the 5x5 program?

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Looks interesting. After 2 kids I've been struggling to get a routine going but think I've settled on going at night with the kids in bed. Also feel like I can lift more at night after dinner.

Might give the 5x5 a go.

yeah know what you mean about keeping form in the last two sets.

height is 173cm weight is now up to 67.5kg...was about 63kg this time last year.

not alot worse than failing at squats...burnt out on the ground on your knees....knowing you have to take all those plates off and put them back on again....nightmare!

So your 100kg squat is about 1.5 times body weight and your deadlift is nearing x2. See how you go over the next month or so, you might need to move to intermediate programming on one or both to keep moving forward.

If you get a bit of a mental block on squats and you are using a power rack, try some heavy partials, or just unracking the bar and standing there with it, for a much heavier weight than you are going to squat. When you go back to your normal squat weight, it will feel light when you unrack it and you will feel strong in the descent . If your strength is there, than that little boost can help you get the weight that has previously psyched you out.

Personally I'd avoid the heavy partials (I'd just avoid any form of partial squat whatsoever) but heavy walkouts are a good idea, just resist the temptation to actually try and squat them!

Is this what you are referring to with the 5x5 program?

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Looks interesting. After 2 kids I've been struggling to get a routine going but think I've settled on going at night with the kids in bed. Also feel like I can lift more at night after dinner.

Might give the 5x5 a go.

Yes buddy, I read that exact article and have been doing it for about 4-5weeks now.....am really pleased with how its going....was doing extra stuff like pull ups and chin ups but have cut that out which has helped me recover and move up the weights for the next session.

go for it buddy and try to keep it going 3 times a week....you can still keep your weekends free.

Last edited:
So your 100kg squat is about 1.5 times body weight and your deadlift is nearing x2. See how you go over the next month or so, you might need to move to intermediate programming on one or both to keep moving forward.

got 95kg done on friday 5x5 squat...this month will be interesting to see if I can keep going up because I am probably at my limits now for all the big compound movements with the exception of the barbell row....

just got in from work...in about 30 mins will attempt 97.5kg squat 57.5 bench press & 115kg deadlift...been looking forward to it all weekend even though I know its probably gonna ruin me! still desperate to 5x5 squat 100kg....nearly there!

Yes buddy, I read that exact article and have been doing it for about 4-5weeks now.....am really pleased with how its going....was doing extra stuff like pull ups and chin ups but have cut that out which has helped me recover and move up the weights for the next session.

go for it buddy and try to keep it going 3 times a week....you can still keep your weekends free.

Used 5X5 for a while myself, here's my thoughts/feedback

- Good for building up strength, great in the "big compound exercises", so you build real not isolation strength
- Little tough if you are trying to do weight loss at same point (you can do heavy cardio/circuits on lower calories, heavy lifting = not so much)
- My routines took about 30-35 minutes, which made me want to add in additional stuff, or do an extra day focused on something else, fudging killed my ability to recover (may have to do with being 42 as well).

Dropped back to more standard gym fare, workouts take about 50 minutes, use 5x5 for specific exercises, and don't do the same groups 3 times a week, recovery is better now. May get back to full 5x5 later when I feel more "broken in"

I'm 30 next Monday and if I don't try and lose weight now, I never will.
Last week I took up DDP Yoga and since last Monday i've gone from 16st 4lb to 15st 13lb.
I think i've finally found something that I can stick with and i'm enjoying it. I can nearly touch my toes without bending my legs which is something i've never been able to do.

Another 5 mile run tonight for me. I've run 26 miles+ in a week this past week. I'm trying to get in to good shape, been losing some weight and toning up leg muscle from the running. I'm finding myself almost addicted to it, it's only my concern for injuries that has stopped me heading out for another run tonight. Another event on Wednesday night, parkrun again Saturday plus runs in between, so just determined to continually improve to see just how capable I can be.

Well got it all done....feel pretty beat....

Bit of a question regarding deadlifts if anyone's got the answer, bit worried about failing them especially compared to squats...stupid question I know but is it just a case you cant get the barbell of the floor...just got got horrible images of my back giving way....got a belt which has made me feel more confident and handwraps so I am not so worried about the grip.

Want to keep adding the weight but tonight was a mighty struggle....never had any back issues and would prefer to keep it that way...I am sure my form for the move is decent though I obviously cant see myself.....want to push myself as hard as possible without the injuries.

Well got it all done....feel pretty beat....

Bit of a question regarding deadlifts if anyone's got the answer, bit worried about failing them especially compared to squats...stupid question I know but is it just a case you cant get the barbell of the floor...just got got horrible images of my back giving way....got a belt which has made me feel more confident and handwraps so I am not so worried about the grip.

Want to keep adding the weight but tonight was a mighty struggle....never had any back issues and would prefer to keep it that way...I am sure my form for the move is decent though I obviously cant see myself.....want to push myself as hard as possible without the injuries.

Film yourself from the side and watch your bar path. If it the bar moves away from directly above the middle of your foot, you're doing it wrong. Check that your back remains in extension (I.e flat) throughout the movement. A little bend in the real heavy stuff is not the devil, but if it's ridiculous (if it was you'd probably already know) then reset weight and work on keeping it in extension.

Regarding continuing to move forward, start to micro load (rather than 2.5kg-5kg per workout, go 1kg or even down to 0.5 eventually)

Once you've exhausted your novice progression and absolutely cannot add a single gram per workout you'll need to go to more Intermediate programming, basically upping the weight weekly rather than every workout.

The above applies to the squat too.

With Deads, I've hurt my back a couple times doing them but only slightly. I usually find its when I round out my lower back.

I usually wear shorts at the gym and find when doing Deads that I cut my shins up something bad due to the bar rubbing on them, but I'm told that's a sign of good form.

I've always plateaud at about 120kg for Deads so hoping with the 5x5 program I might be able to break that.

Interesting theory (which totally makes sense) that if I can remove all the isolation exercises I should have more in the tank for the big compound exercises and should be able to break through.

Do people use a spotter for benchpresses?

With Deads, I've hurt my back a couple times doing them but only slightly. I usually find its when I round out my lower back.

I usually wear shorts at the gym and find when doing Deads that I cut my shins up something bad due to the bar rubbing on them, but I'm told that's a sign of good form.

I've always plateaud at about 120kg for Deads so hoping with the 5x5 program I might be able to break that.

Interesting theory (which totally makes sense) that if I can remove all the isolation exercises I should have more in the tank for the big compound exercises and should be able to break through.

Do people use a spotter for benchpresses?

Stick a pair of football socks on pulled up. You look a bit of a tit but it saves your shins.

Regarding the 120kg. How may reps? What height, weight are you? What type of programming were you doing at the time? How was your diet? All important questions.

Deads from just below the knee are pretty good (set the pins up in the power rack). Good to get some reps in on this exercise, I found doing them and squats helped my full deadlift go up without doing many full deadlifts from the floor.

*Note, this was when I actually had access to proper weights and trained heavy (heavy for me anyway). My best squat was 180kg, deadlift 180kg and bench 112.5kg (I was always brick at bench press), all 1 rep maxes. Weight between 12 n half - 14 stone (14 stone was when my squat was best). My best squat was built by squatting every day and drinking 4 pints of whole milk per day...a bit mental when I look back haha, but I felt very strong at the time.

When I first started with all that, 5 x 5 always meant Bill Starr's program.

Seeing you guys talk about training heavy lifts makes me want to start it up again, even just a little bit alongside what I currently do.

Back