• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

I haven't paid close attention to Delph. One of those "meh" players as far as I've been concerned. I know that he has broken into the England squad but has he really improved so very much? Is he really so much better than what we've already got? Is he really the kind of player who can take us that one step higher, into the top four?

If the answer to all of those questions isn't an emphatic "yes", then I don't see the point. I'd rather that we look elsewhere. Delph would be an easy kind of signing; a safe signing; the kind that doesn't require much research. He would be exactly the kind of signing, in fact, that you'd expect if Harry was still manager. But we've moved on from that, surely. It's the whole point of having appointed Mitchell - black box, algorithms and all.

And if Mitchell genuinely can't identify anyone better and if the answer to the above questions still isn't an emphatic "yes", then I'd far rather that we give our youth graduates a chance. Harry Winks, Milos Veljkovic, Josh Onomah, Luke Amos, Will Miller.......all of them central midfielders of various types and all highly promising. Spurs as a club would gain far more in the long term from carefully giving opportunities to these youngsters, and perhaps suffering a few bad results along the way, than by buying yet another competent but run of the mill player who doesn't elevate us any higher than we already are.

If Mitchell's black box/algorithms/analysis software is coming up with Moses it has bugs. At a guess he is probably just a fall-back if the first six preference players don't work out.

Has to be a joke, why would be after a player that struggled to get into the Stoke team, and hardly featured for Liverpool? if he wasnt good enough for them he isnt for us.

It's media driven click bait and / or agent driven agenda.

I haven't paid close attention to Delph. One of those "meh" players as far as I've been concerned. I know that he has broken into the England squad but has he really improved so very much? Is he really so much better than what we've already got? Is he really the kind of player who can take us that one step higher, into the top four?

If the answer to all of those questions isn't an emphatic "yes", then I don't see the point. I'd rather that we look elsewhere. Delph would be an easy kind of signing; a safe signing; the kind that doesn't require much research. He would be exactly the kind of signing, in fact, that you'd expect if Harry was still manager. But we've moved on from that, surely. It's the whole point of having appointed Mitchell - black box, algorithms and all.

And if Mitchell genuinely can't identify anyone better and if the answer to the above questions still isn't an emphatic "yes", then I'd far rather that we give our youth graduates a chance. Harry Winks, Milos Veljkovic, Josh Onomah, Luke Amos, Will Miller.......all of them central midfielders of various types and all highly promising. Spurs as a club would gain far more in the long term from carefully giving opportunities to these youngsters, and perhaps suffering a few bad results along the way, than by buying yet another competent but run of the mill player who doesn't elevate us any higher than we already are.

non of these are ready to step into the team and play PL football, all will be going out on loan for a year or two before they are given a chance at Spurs. Delph is an upgrade on Mason. He has improved a lot in the last year or so, and regarding signing players who can take us into the top 4? Well we cannot afford that calibre atm.

For the moment we have Bentaleb, Mason and Alli who I expect to play a major part of our midfield next season. Imo bringing in Delph adds a bit more experience, a player right now playing at the top of his game, and he is affordable which of course to Levy is an important aspect.

i wouldnt regard him as a Redknapp type signing at all. I dont think we are in a position to be snobbish about signing a PL proven player who has shown he can compete at this level and who still has his best years ahead of him.

GHod help us if we are really thinking about bringing Delph or Moses here, neither are better then what we have got and I hope its just the usual " gutter press" flimflam that fills the papers everyday.

GHod help us if we are really thinking about bringing Delph or Moses here, neither are better then what we have got and I hope its just the usual " gutter press" hogwash that fills the papers everyday.

none of Poch's signings so far have been that much better than what we had.

none of Poch's signings so far have been that much better than what we had.

I disagree, Vorm was a upgrade on Freidel, Davies has had a positive effect on Rose, Fazio is better then Dawson, Dier looks very good for the future, Stambouli has not shown a lot I agree, the only one I do question is Yedlin but that may have been more for the commercial side of the game.

non of these are ready to step into the team and play PL football, all will be going out on loan for a year or two before they are given a chance at Spurs. Delph is an upgrade on Mason. He has improved a lot in the last year or so, and regarding signing players who can take us into the top 4? Well we cannot afford that calibre atm.

For the moment we have Bentaleb, Mason and Alli who I expect to play a major part of our midfield next season. Imo bringing in Delph adds a bit more experience, a player right now playing at the top of his game, and he is affordable which of course to Levy is an important aspect.

i wouldnt regard him as a Redknapp type signing at all. I dont think we are in a position to be snobbish about signing a PL proven player who has shown he can compete at this level and who still has his best years ahead of him.

With respect, I don't think you're in the best position to judge whether or not any of those players are ready to play Premier League football. They are aged 18-19, and very good with it, not 16-17. Plenty of players before them have been catapulted into PL football at that age and thrived.

Listen.....I don't expect it to happen at all. I suspect that a number of them will be sent out on loan and that the remainder will get the odd game here or there in the Europa League or League Cup. All I am saying is that, if Delph isn't the kind of player who could elevate us to top four level and if he isn't much better than what we already have (and I don't believe, from what I've seen, that he is), then I see absolutely no point in buying him. We've bought far too many of that kind of player over the past few years, surely? It's why we are where we are now and not where we were when we had the likes of Modric and Bale.

So if the choice really was between Delph, and plodding along in 5th or 6th but never threatening the top four, or blooding highly promising youngsters and finishing 7th or 8th for one season, I'd take the latter. Long term, it would benefit us far more. As it happens, though, I'm quite confident that that isn't the choice. I don't think that Delph is on our radar. Or at least, if he is, that he is way down the list of our preferred options.

GHod help us if we are really thinking about bringing Delph or Moses here, neither are better then what we have got and I hope its just the usual " gutter press" hogwash that fills the papers everyday.

Of course it's crap.

We are (un)lucky enough to be considered important by the big papers, along with the Sky5, and that means at least one new link every day for all the gullible ones out there to get excited/have a meltdown over.

It's names drawn from a hat and every couple of weeks they start over again. I'm sure we'll see at least one more round of 'Konoplyanka about to sign for Spurs' for instance.

With respect, I don't think you're in the best position to judge whether or not any of those players are ready to play Premier League football. They are aged 18-19, and very good with it, not 16-17. Plenty of players before them have been catapulted into PL football at that age and thrived.

Listen.....I don't expect it to happen at all. I suspect that a number of them will be sent out on loan and that the remainder will get the odd game here or there in the Europa League or League Cup. All I am saying is that, if Delph isn't the kind of player who could elevate us to top four level and if he isn't much better than what we already have (and I don't believe, from what I've seen, that he is), then I see absolutely no point in buying him. We've bought far too many of that kind of player over the past few years, surely? It's why we are where we are now and not where we were when we had the likes of Modric and Bale.

So if the choice really was between Delph, and plodding along in 5th or 6th but never threatening the top four, or blooding highly promising youngsters and finishing 7th or 8th for one season, I'd take the latter. Long term, it would benefit us far more. As it happens, though, I'm quite confident that that isn't the choice. I don't think that Delph is on our radar. Or at least, if he is, that he is way down the list of our preferred options.

I dont need to judge, i just look at what is happening. Winks is being linked to a loan move at Glasgow Rangers, Velikovic looks like he might be going to to a Championship club for another a year,.Amos and Miller? Do you really think they are ready to step in if Bentaleb and mason are out? Im pretty sure you dont.

All im saying is that if we are looking for a central midfielder, then id like Delph to be on that list of preferred options, and quite high up on it. He is absolutely ready to step in. There is no waiting for him to adapt to the league, to the country, to the language. He is not a 30 year old looking for a last big pay packet (not that he would ever get that from Levy;) ) he is 25 years old. He has potential to be even better. who knows what poch can do with him.

Im just looking at this from a tottenham point of view where its obvious money is tight until the new stadium is built, so until then we have to remain competitive as much as possible by being clever with our coaching and transfer policy.

even in our position we cannot afford to finish 7th or 8th for a season or two whilst simply blooding youngsters because there is no way we will keep hold of the likes of Kane, Eriksen and Bentaleb in the meantime. Lose them and I dread to think how much lower we will go.

Delph is one of the worst passers going, you think Dembele and Mason are bad then this guy is shocking.

I dont need to judge, i just look at what is happening. Winks is being linked to a loan move at Glasgow Rangers, Velikovic looks like he might be going to to a Championship club for another a year,.Amos and Miller? Do you really think they are ready to step in if Bentaleb and mason are out? Im pretty sure you dont.

All im saying is that if we are looking for a central midfielder, then id like Delph to be on that list of preferred options, and quite high up on it. He is absolutely ready to step in. There is no waiting for him to adapt to the league, to the country, to the language. He is not a 30 year old looking for a last big pay packet (not that he would ever get that from Levy;) ) he is 25 years old. He has potential to be even better. who knows what poch can do with him.

Im just looking at this from a tottenham point of view where its obvious money is tight until the new stadium is built, so until then we have to remain competitive as much as possible by being clever with our coaching and transfer policy.

even in our position we cannot afford to finish 7th or 8th for a season or two whilst simply blooding youngsters because there is no way we will keep hold of the likes of Kane, Eriksen and Bentaleb in the meantime. Lose them and I dread to think how much lower we will go.

If we carry on plodding along in 5th / 6th season after season by buying players that barely improve us (if at all) while others are upgrading their squads hugely year on year, then we will no less likely lose our best players than if we were to finish 7th / 8th for one season.

So I repeat, unless we can identify players that are a marked upgrade on what we already have, then we would benefit far more in the long term by keeping the path to the first team squad open to our excellent youth graduates. No more "meh" signings.

I also suspect, by the way, that you really haven't seen much of Veljkovic. Even though he is equally adept at centre back, I would wager that, as a central midfielder, he is a considerably better passer of the ball than Delph and a more intelligent player off the ball in terms of positioning. And those are two qualities that we are crying out for.

Back