• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

Lib Dems lost their identity. A decimated party.

Conservatives played leader and Chancellor image, economic security and fears of nationalism perfectly. To be fair they have a credible team - ed balls and Miliband by comparison just didn't appear even vaguely credible. Something that most people knew, including Labour MPs, for sometime. But the poles suggested a different scenario which didn't materialise.

Now will the EU vote undermine Cameron? Otherwise he'll be playing it safe and easy, staying clear of anything risky that could split his party.

Both key parties are dull and need reinventing. But the Conservatives at least appear credible. Labour need a shiny, exec-look, leader who gives people confidence. It may sound strange but Miliband did well considering how badly he and Balls come across to the electorate!

Tristram Hunt is maybe worth putting a £10 on to take over. He'd certainly look and communicate a lot better. A good face to front the Labour part.

I thought the election night was very interesting, great to see the Lib Dems get a kicking. The SNP surge was mental, the Tories did very well and it seems Labour were punished for an uninspiring period in opposition -- people thought they may as well stick with what they know.

The polls turned out to be a load of b0ll0cks (nod to Scara here, he did warn me). Hopefully the Tories won't be too mental to those of us that claim in-work benefits. You got to have a laugh at Farage, Balls and some of the other high-profile politicians that didn't make the cut. Good to see a few egos put in check.

So, now we are gonna get a proper Tory government. The last time we elected one of those, in 1992, I was 8. So this will be a new experience, although maybe not much different to the last 5 years?

What now for Labour? I gave them a tentative vote (first time I have voted for them) on the basis that I think they would be less sh1t for someone of my income. But they didn't really have a strong message did they? Perhaps they have paid the price for not wanting to rock the boat too much and hoping to fall over the line with minority government. Maybe fortune favours the brave...or should I say, to dare is to do?

The polls turned out to be a load of b0ll0cks (nod to Scara here, he did warn me).
Thanks for that, didn't quite see this coming though.

Hopefully the Tories won't be too mental to those of us that claim in-work benefits.
I'm not sure they can be too tough.

I consider myself a "typical" Conservative voter - my belief is that we should provide for those who can't but not for those who won't. I think most Conservatives would agree with me. Taking away the aspiration from the party (we have a lot of ambitious, working class voters) would ruin it.

Thanks for that, didn't quite see this coming though.

I'm not sure they can be too tough.

I consider myself a "typical" Conservative voter - my belief is that we should provide for those who can't but not for those who won't. I think most Conservatives would agree with me. Taking away the aspiration from the party (we have a lot of ambitious, working class voters) would ruin it.

absolutely this, not sure why its such a difficult concept for people to get

Last edited:
Should appoint Ummana as their next leader, he seems quite reasoned and I think would do well. I like the way he comes across.

One thing I'm just wondering, so thought I'd throw it out to you lot. Is there a danger that Cameron might have to placate the more further-right element of his party to keep them in line and vote accordingly, because the majority is small? In coalition, he could say to them that his hands were tied by Lib Dems, but he can't do that now. Don't they have some old duffers pressure group called 1922 or something, who dislike anybody who isn't old, white, British, heterosexual and rich?*

*I may have exaggerated

And an EU referendum to come. My gut instinct is to vote to stay put, but I am quite open minded about it.

One thing I'm just wondering, so thought I'd throw it out to you lot. Is there a danger that Cameron might have to placate the more further-right element of his party to keep them in line and vote accordingly, because the majority is small? In coalition, he could say to them that his hands were tied by Lib Dems, but he can't do that now. Don't they have some old duffers pressure group called 1922 or something, who dislike anybody who isn't old, white, British, heterosexual and rich?*

*I may have exaggerated

And an EU referendum to come. My gut instinct is to vote to stay put, but I am quite open minded about it.

there is a worry he could suffer like Major did in 92, defections and minor issue ransoms from back benchers, hopefully they'll be wise to that and the whips can keep them in line

I agree on the EU, better off in it right now imo

Amazing what kind of information can be obtained in this day and age, and makes you wonder how that information is gathered, when looking at the election it is evident how dangerous it can be.

*I may have exaggerated

I think they'll stay in line until the referendum as long as he allows them to campaign however they wish. They're getting what they want so destabilising now wouldn't help their cause.

I think that once the referendum is done Cameron will start the process for his replacement. Then you might see some agitating, depending on who is running.

Personally, I think there's value in buying the DUP vote now. They were incredibly cheap at the last election and probably would be again - especially now that the Conservatives are the only real opposition to the SNP. If he buys 8 or 9 seats from them it makes any rebels a little easier to handle.

absolutely this, not sure why its such a difficult concept for people to get

It isn't a difficult concept whatsoever, what IS obviously extraordinarily difficult conceptually is the fact that these lines and parameters of definition CHANGE according to who is in charge. One person's 'bum' is another person's 'unfortunate'...and when you have a society which increasingly lacks empathy, understanding and what it actually is to be poor or disadvantaged, then these definitions become broader in scope and catch a whole lot more people than just your wasters.

Frankly, I am not sure why THIS is such a difficult concept for people to get, other than the fact an increasing amount of people don't want to get it and would rather tar and feather many than intelligently differentiate.

We can now only hope that Cameron notes the difference and does not deplete social services to the point of total anemia.

*I may have exaggerated

It is a very real fear IMO.

Yeah it's ridiculous that people say Britain isn't great any more and now it's just full of rich fat cats milking the poor so they can fight illegal wars. The reality of course was that "Great Britain" involved rich fat cats in the East India company ordering the invasion of country after country using the resources of slave child labour in the industrial revolution back home where you were lucky if you didn't die of malnourishment and ricketts by the time you were 10 and plundered resources and slaves across the globe... but no, we're a shambles now good grief!

A very, very fair point with regards to our (frankly) loutish and shambolic behavior imperialistically 'in the name of progress', but we should also say that like it or not, the parameters of social empathy have never been more fractured or divided, the country exists in two pretty specific regions from what I can see (the decimated North and the more prosperous south - simplistic view worthy of discussion I accept) and we have built an economy on intangibles which has locked out an entire strata of worker (unless they can nail down a minimum wage service job). Pretending that we are universally prosperous and glorious is equally dangerous. There is a massive divide in the UK...as there is developing in the US.

Pretty good night for UKIP all things considered

shame Farage could not get in would have been gre
I think they'll stay in line until the referendum as long as he allows them to campaign however they wish. They're getting what they want so destabilising now wouldn't help their cause.

I think that once the referendum is done Cameron will start the process for his replacement. Then you might see some agitating, depending on who is running.

Personally, I think there's value in buying the DUP vote now. They were incredibly cheap at the last election and probably would be again - especially now that the Conservatives are the only real opposition to the SNP. If he buys 8 or 9 seats from them it makes any rebels a little easier to handle.

As long as they agree to only allow uk nationals to vote on the EU then I think that will be a start. I am happier the tories won to Labour Millband was a complete loon. Not a fan of Cameron but easily the better of two evils.

no better true democracy in the world even with the obvious failings of a FPP system.

the SNP success is nothing but mind goggling, its not a case of if but when for the Jocks but they need to get their house in order now to prepare for independence. I feel sorry for the likes of Charles Kennedy and Simon Hughes who were in their constituencies for decades and then like that, they're out of a job, no severance payments for them.

Labour will have to re-invent itself again but its done that before and its couldn't create a legacy, England is a true blue country and going forward elections will be the Tories's to lose.

Shame election night is only 4/5 years, riveting entertainment in my book

I think this election illustrates the strength of the FPP system. In a very close run-thing, it delivered a relatively strong government, at a time when we're still struggling to grow economically.

@SonyKapoor

Votes per seat in #UK #GE2015
DUP 23K
SNP 26K
Con 34K
Lab 40K
LD 302K
Grn 1.2 million
UKIP 3.9 million

CEff2k1WAAIw4Sy.jpg

*I may have exaggerated

No pretty close to the mark.

The FPTP via PR thing needs perspective, without a doubt if we did ever go to PR, the major parties would completely re-evaluate their campaigning and alot more independants would pop up. The far right (UKIP) would still be a small part of the power distribution as would the far left (Green).

Back