• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Can someone compare "giving the ball away" for Lamela and Coutinho? Passes not completed.

I don't know much about Coutinho, just seen the highlights and TV games like most of you guys probably. We see his good points and probably don't realise how bad he is at other things (perhaps tracking back or tackles or heading or challenging or cutting off passing lanes or whatever)

Lamela/Coutinho

Avg. passes: 32.6/44.5
Pass accuracy: 83%/81%
Avg. pass length: 14m/16m
Shot accuracy: 50%/54%

Dispossessed: 2.4/1.8
Fouled: 1.4/1.3
Offside: 0.2/0.2

Avg. duels won: 45%/48%
Avg. defensive actions: 2/1
Total defensive errors: 0/1

I think probably Coutinho makes far fewer glaring/frustrating mistakes on the ball which Lamela is guilty of and is one one of the chief reasons he is poorly thought of
If that is the main reason why people on here don't rate him then it just goes to show. Younger players tend to make stupid errors like giving the ball away more easily, yes its frustrating but at that age you should be focus more on the things they do well. Because history shows that as a player matures they tend to weed out those negative aspects of their play and their genuine quality shines through and intensifies.

This is exactly why we should persevere with Lamela, he has a lot of raw talent but needs to cut out the poor mistakes and I have no hesitation that in time he will. I just hope it is with us that we see his maximum potential fulfilled and not elsewhere because he will end up a big player for someone...

Squawka comparison: http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...al_shots/successful_take_ons/shot_accuracy#90

Lamela / Coutinho

Total score 14.5 / 25.2

Possession score -6.28 / 1.55

Attack score 15.9 / 28.3

Defence score 4.86 / -4.61

Total shots 1.43 / 3.18

I think that these are the stats that tell the proper story. Lamela is superior to Coutinho in his defensive shifts but very much inferior when it comes to his attacking contributions and above all compares miserably in terms of possession stats and shots on goal. Which is basically what eyes have been telling us all season...

It boils down to what people expect in the player. If it is huff & puff and a strong defensive shift, then they will be content. If on the other hand, it is creativity and attack, then they will be totally underwhelmed....

I guess the main problem is his price tag is higher than what you usually pay for "huff and puff" players.

If a 25 million player performs better than a 10 million player, but not to expectation, we should get rid of the 25 million player?

I think probably Coutinho makes far fewer glaring/frustrating mistakes on the ball which Lamela is guilty of and is one one of the chief reasons he is poorly thought of

Coutinho also seems much better at quickly making space for himself and getting past players. His end product has been his weakness this season, but he's shown real quality quite often - although most of the time not in the decisive moments. Quality that Lamela has only occasionally shown at a PL level at least.

He is a conundrum! You are quite close tot he truth I suspect. My big problem is that he doesn't seem to learn... still loses the ball and takes the wrong option as frequently as he used to do in the beginning of the season.

Disagree. Has improved quite a bit this season.

Squawka comparison: http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...al_shots/successful_take_ons/shot_accuracy#90

Lamela / Coutinho

Total score 14.5 / 25.2

Possession score -6.28 / 1.55

Attack score 15.9 / 28.3

Defence score 4.86 / -4.61

Total shots 1.43 / 3.18

I think that these are the stats that tell the proper story. Lamela is superior to Coutinho in his defensive shifts but very much inferior when it comes to his attacking contributions and above all compares miserably in terms of possession stats and shots on goal. Which is basically what eyes have been telling us all season...

It boils down to what people expect in the player. If it is huff & puff and a strong defensive shift, then they will be content. If on the other hand, it is creativity and attack, then they will be totally underwhelmed....

As per the earlier posts It's not just huff and puff is it? he provides a decent level of creativity which compares favourably to other players in his position who are considered to have had a good season

Lamela/Coutinho

Avg. passes: 32.6/44.5
Pass accuracy: 83%/81%
Avg. pass length: 14m/16m
Shot accuracy: 50%/54%

Dispossessed: 2.4/1.8
Fouled: 1.4/1.3
Offside: 0.2/0.2

Avg. duels won: 45%/48%
Avg. defensive actions: 2/1
Total defensive errors: 0/1

The non percentage stats here are per game. So it's not a fair comparison when Lamela's game is 20 minutes of the bench and Coutinho's is usually a full game. Per minute stats should be used.

The problem with stats are you can use what you want to confirm your own argument by ignoring certain aspects. Look at Kane before this season and think how unbelievable his current stats would be if his previous stats were used as a baseline.

Precisely.. It's ridiculous for some posters to say "ignore his fee" because that plays a massive part in expectations...

I don't think 'ignore' is the sentiment, more like put it in context. Had we bought him when Bale was still at the club (as his understudy/whatever) his price would never have been 30 mill. But the truth is, when you have a week or so until a season starts, the selling club holds the bargaining power.

The greater shame of it is that the one time Levy drastically over pays for a player, it wasn't someone who could've helped short-term as well as long. I still feel Lamela could break out next season.

He was much better today. Still think he will go in the summer.

Agree - he had a pretty decent game. Definitely miles better than Eriksen. Yet, even though he was playing better than usual, still contributed very little offensively and never once passed his player...

One of our better players. Again... Really hope he stays, has so many qualities, great determination, his decision making was better today too

Agree - he had a pretty decent game. Definitely miles better than Eriksen. Yet, even though he was playing better than usual, still contributed very little offensively and never once passed his player...

Who are you comparing him to when you're saying that he contributed very little offensively?

His talent will shine through,of that I have no doubt. But one of the things I enjoy most about him is his fight and determination, he doesn't give up -even when he is having a poor game with the ball and is always prepared to get stuck in...

Back