• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham - Southampton Official No match thread ?

No defensive cover from mid field again, Southhampton cut right through us all day. I've said it before, but Bentaleb and Mason are not the answer. Mason is too ungainly on the ball for me, particularly when under pressure. Davies...what was he thinking? Fazio is just too slow for the Premier League and I would be happy to see the back of him. Is this the physically weakest Spurs side of all time? Weak in the tackle, weak in the air...very disappointing.

Interesting that he took Bentaleg [sic] off, rather than Mason.

There was some heavy duty anti-Mason commentary on here when we went behind, but I thought he had a decent game; not as good as Bentaleb, though, who was our best player, in my view.

Got away with a point there. According to the (admittedly ѕhіt) BT Sport commentator, that's the first time they have taken a point off us (alone) since their most recent promotion. I think he also claimed they hadn't conceded more than one goal in a home game this season, though, which is not the case. They were the better side on the day by a street, mind you, for me. I thought we were lucky not to lose.

Hugo hardly made a save

They created opportunities but hardly ever tested us

Their a good defensive unit but they really lack quality up front IMO

We can thank our lucky stars for that point because we certainly didn't deserve it. The only good thing I can say is that we were effective. Two goals in two and half chance. A real shame we didn't manage to get more shots on target. Against Kelvin Davies you don't need to do much more than hitting the target.

They were the better team through the game, created plenty of opportunities, better organised, sharper, quicker, technically better, quite simply better as individuals and as a collective.

Going forward we are incredibly slow, nothing is free flowing, every player who is on the ball seems to struggle to find a good solution.
Defensively it is too easy to create chances against us, regardless of whether we press high as we did in the first half, or sit deeper like we did towards the end of the game.

Ben Davies had a mare today, hardly did anything right.
Fazio once again seemed to caught completely off guard when Southampton very surprisngly pinged a cross into the box towards a big striker. I think he was even their only man in there. Be more alert, for fudge's sake, get some body contact, don't let him take three steps freely and then meet the ball without competition.

Dier deserves credit for two good assists, and was the best player in the back four defensively too. Chadli took his goal well, and was the only player who showed anything positive before his goal too. A couple of nice runs down the left and at least one good cross for Mason. I can't say too much positive about the rest.

Pochettino needs to be more proactive rather than reactive for me. In the second half at 1-1, they were dominating completely, so do something before it is too late. I thought Dembele should have been brought on the stabilise things in the middle of the park where we were being overrun.

I think a draw is a fair result. Maybe they had some better 'half' chances but lacked the quality to make them count. As a footy fan I shouldn't comment, but its weird they hate Poch but they shafted Adkins in a worse fashion and with Koeman they are no worse off??? Why bother hating Poch?

Worst cheat of the season so far...Mane. Koeman needs to have a word with him. One of the most technically gifted divers I have ever seen. That was a master class.

I have to agree with that, the guy was literally looking for fouls but was useless in actual play. I hate players like this but they thrive in football.

We can thank our lucky stars for that point because we certainly didn't deserve it. The only good thing I can say is that we were effective. Two goals in two and half chance. A real shame we didn't manage to get more shots on target. Against Kelvin Davies you don't need to do much more than hitting the target.

They were the better team through the game, created plenty of opportunities, better organised, sharper, quicker, technically better, quite simply better as individuals and as a collective.

Going forward we are incredibly slow, nothing is free flowing, every player who is on the ball seems to struggle to find a good solution.
Defensively it is too easy to create chances against us, regardless of whether we press high as we did in the first half, or sit deeper like we did towards the end of the game.

Fazio once again seemed to caught completely off guard when Southampton very surprisngly pinged a cross into the box towards a big striker. I think he was even their only man in there. Be more alert, for fudge's sake, get some body contact, don't let him take three steps freely and then meet the ball without competition.

Dier deserves credit for two good assists, and was the best player in the back four defensively too. Chadli took his goal well, and was the only player who showed anything positive before his goal too. A couple of nice runs down the left and at least one good cross for Mason. I can't say too much positive about the rest.

Pochettino needs to be more proactive rather than reactive for me. In the second half at 1-1, they were dominating completely, so do something before it is too late. I thought Dembele should have been brought on the stabilise things in the middle of the park where we were being overrun.

Completely disagree mate (and I usually agree with your observations), not sure what game a few people saw ...

We definitely had the vast majority of the possession, kept our shape, and their goals were really after two individual mistakes

We might have been slow in build up, but what did they do? long ball to Mane (or other runner), who either crossed the ball or dived at slightest contact so they could get a ball into a big bullying CF? Pool/Manure and now Southampton have gone to a 80's style flimflam English football.

We were the away side, they sat and countered all game ..

Agree.
We need to make quicker more progressive decisions on the ball. More ppush and run, less control and dribble, before passing square or back. Sometimes you have to go back to retain possession but only if there is nothing on going forward. Our players seem to lack awareness of their team mates, not just offensively. Davies header was, I think, about ppplaying it's to Bentaleb, except he did so without knowing where Bentaleb was.

The other thing which gave us high possession stats but lead to presenting the ball to Southamppton was too many very short passes to the nearest player. We could have put two or three Southampton ppplayers out of position by making our passing 5 yards longer or switching quicker.
This might require our two DMs to be further away from each other.

I think a draw is a fair result. Maybe they had some better 'half' chances but lacked the quality to make them count. As a footy fan I shouldn't comment, but its weird they hate Poch but they shafted Adkins in a worse fashion and with Koeman they are no worse off??? Why bother hating Poch?

I think it's because of Hoddle, Richards and Bale too - cumulative effect of becoming a de-facto feeder club to us

Completely disagree mate (and I usually agree with your observations), not sure what game a few people saw ...

We definitely had the vast majority of the possession, kept our shape, and their goals were really after two individual mistakes

We might have been slow in build up, but what did they do? long ball to Mane (or other runner), who either crossed the ball or dived at slightest contact so they could get a ball into a big bullying CF? Pool/Manure and now Southampton have gone to a 80's style hogwash English football.

I don't give a brick about how Southampton played their football. The matter of the fact is that they managed to create 6 or 7 clear cut opportunities against us. Whether they did that through long balls or not is relevant, we need to cope better with it. And I think they created chances in various ways. On the counter, on set pieces, on crosses, through combination play centrally and we couldn't defend against any of these things. Our defending is not good enough.

And when we play against settled defences, we have nothing to offer. What are we trying to do? I don't see anything that seems to be planned or practiced. It's been that way all season. One players receives the ball, looks around, doesn't see any good alternatives, passes to another player, the same happens and in the ball ends up at Hugo's feet. It seems like it is always up to the individual player to try to get something going. What do we practice in training? Is it all about running around, being aggressive and working hard?

We might have been slow in build up, but what did they do? long ball to Mane (or other runner), who either crossed the ball or dived at slightest contact so they could get a ball into a big bullying CF? Pool/Manure and now Southampton have gone to a 80's style hogwash English football.

You are forgetting the hat-trick Davies could have had for them. Plus the two vital interventions by Mason and Bentaleb preventing a goal- scoring opportunity.
If two of those were finished we would be crying now.

Back