• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

the Tim Sherwood man love thread

All true at the moment, but Sherwood is very early doors in his career as a manager. If he can learn that there's more to coaching a team than getting them 'up for it', tactics make a difference and to shut his mouth in the media, is there a good, dare I say it, very good, manager in there?

This is absolutely possible. I would say that his greatest trait right now, other than motivational stuff, is his ability to act decisively on the promotion of young talent. Clearly Grealish is a fine young player, and clearly he has been well-developed. Where Sherwood does well (and deserves some credit) is that he threw him into the mix with an 'if it works I am a genius, info he is a kid' attitude. I remain unconvinced that Sherwood would stand behind a kid he threw into the first team who failed, however that is a tad unfair as it comes from a personal opinion i.e. the man, to me, is a clam. But you're not wrong Millsy, it is possible. I think, however, it might be like asking a leopard to change it's spots.

No, but Joey Essex never was, never has been and has never suggested that he has any interest in football. Sherwood was a professional player, who has now moved into management which would suggest to me that he might be willing to learn about things that might make him better at his chosen profession.

The only positive attribute he has doesn't count because 'he's only shown it over a short period' yet in the same short period you have decided he's tactically inept. Not the strongest of arguments that.
This is precisely the disease football needs to cure itself of.

There's no correlation between football ability and management ability - it's just an old boys' club that has no basis in merit.

I don't need to see Captain Bellend over a long period as a manager as I've heard him talk about football when he made that abortion of an attempt to be a pundit. He proved his stupidity then and every subsequent time he's opened his mouth.

This is precisely the disease football needs to cure itself of.

There's no correlation between football ability and management ability - it's just an old boys' club that has no basis in merit.

I don't need to see Captain Bellend over a long period as a manager as I've heard him talk about football when he made that abortion of an attempt to be a pundit. He proved his stupidity then and every subsequent time he's opened his mouth.

I'm not saying that being an ex player makes him a good manager. I'm saying it tells you he has a fundamental interest in the game and makes him more likely to want to be good at management.

What did he say when he was a pundit that was so stupid? Give us an example? hes only been on TV a handful of times has he not?

This is absolutely possible. I would say that his greatest trait right now, other than motivational stuff, is his ability to act decisively on the promotion of young talent. Clearly Grealish is a fine young player, and clearly he has been well-developed. Where Sherwood does well (and deserves some credit) is that he threw him into the mix with an 'if it works I am a genius, info he is a kid' attitude. I remain unconvinced that Sherwood would stand behind a kid he threw into the first team who failed, however that is a tad unfair as it comes from a personal opinion i.e. the man, to me, is a clam. But you're not wrong Millsy, it is possible. I think, however, it might be like asking a leopard to change it's spots.

I actually think he probably would. I remember Bentaleb making a goal conceeding mistake last year (can't remember who against though? Lost the ball out on the touch line?) and he refused to criticise him post match.

Although that still doesn't make him a good manager. Also, He is a clam, but that doesn't make him a bad manager either.

I'm not saying that being an ex player makes him a good manager. I'm saying it tells you he has a fundamental interest in the game and makes him more likely to want to be good at management.

What did he say when he was a pundit that was so stupid? Give us an example? hes only been on TV a handful of times has he not?
I'm paraphrasing of course, as it was a while ago. Essentially he was trying to say that football is better the 'English' way - big lump up top, solid centre halves, all guts no brains type stuff.

I remember thinking that he made other pundits seem intelligent - which, if you know the esteem in which I hold most football pundits, is quite something.

I suspect his loyalties are more torn than any of ours.

No more so than Jamie Carragher, Steve McManaman and Michael Owen when they played in Merseyside derbies.

Or Justin Edinburgh when he played in the North London derby.

Or our very own Tim Sherwood when he played and scored in a North London derby against that team in red who I cannot remember the name of..... Oh it was Arsenal.

No more so than Jamie Carragher, Steve McManaman and Michael Owen when they played in Merseyside derbies.

Or Justin Edinburgh when he played in the North London derby.

Or our very own Tim Sherwood when he played and scored in a North London derby against that team in red who I cannot remember the name of..... Oh it was Arsenal.
Doesn't make him any less a goon.

I'm paraphrasing of course, as it was a while ago. Essentially he was trying to say that football is better the 'English' way - big lump up top, solid centre halves, all guts no brains type stuff.

I remember thinking that he made other pundits seem intelligent - which, if you know the esteem in which I hold most football pundits, is quite something.

Strange that the players he talks up most i.e Bentaleb, Mason, Kane are pretty much the opposite of your stereotypical English CM or CFs then.

Also strange his Villa team from what I've seen don't play your stereotypically English way, nor did we when he had us.

Irregardless of who he may have supported in the past, he will want his name up there as a British manager winning the FA cup, if you really question that, you don't have an understanding of his ego (which I know you definitely do!). And fair play to him if he wins it, I'm praying he does. The main thing we had over Arsenal of recent times was that at least they hadn't won anything in ages besides the ever so prestigious top four trophies that the modern football fan toss - crys over.

Doesn't make him any less a goon.

Bar Johnnie Jackson, I can't think of a current or ex footballer who would want their own team to lose just so his boyhood club could win. It makes no sense, I'm sure he must have a bonus written into his contract if he wins trophy. Not to mention Aston Villa haven't won a trophy in 20 years and winning the FA Cup would make Sherwood a hero in that part of the world.

Strange that the players he talks up most i.e Bentaleb, Mason, Kane are pretty much the opposite of your stereotypical English CM or CFs then.

Also strange his Villa team from what I've seen don't play your stereotypically English way, nor did we when he had us.
I'd say we were. He favoured a tall striker, played with pace and recklessness - no patience and clearly no thinking.

Sounds like the epitome of an outdated English side to me.

Sherwood is a forty something guy who would have been 100% devoted to a career in football - ahead of being an Arsenal fan, if he really was - for over 25 years. Right at this moment in time his priority won't be Aston Villa winning the cup it will be Tim Sherwood winning the cup. He won't really care who they beat in the final, maybe less keen if it's the goons but he will also be getting some flack from some of their fans anyway so there will be zero loyalty going their way.

Sherwood is a forty something guy who would have been 100% devoted to a career in football - ahead of being an Arsenal fan, if he really was - for over 25 years. Right at this moment in time his priority won't be Aston Villa winning the cup it will be Tim Sherwood winning the cup. He won't really care who they beat in the final, maybe less keen if it's the goons but he will also be getting some flack from some of their fans anyway so there will be zero loyalty going their way.

Exactly. Given that he used to both play for and manage Spurs, I would be stunned if those cretins actually had any affection for Sherwood whatsoever.

I'd say we were. He favoured a tall striker, played with pace and recklessness - no patience and clearly no thinking.

Sounds like the epitome of an outdated English side to me.

Favouring a tall striker is hardly an absolute marker for outdated English play. Ibrahimovic is pretty tall, do PSG play in an English fashion then??

the stereotypical English way' for you translates as tall striker and getting players forward quickly, is that what you are saying? Really??

Reactions: DTA
Back