• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Franco Baldini

That's where we finally differ on our interpretations. I don't believe that's ambition. AVB evidently doesn't believe that to be ambition. And if you accept the press stories of AVB using his youth strategy to ace the interview as being true, it does follow by logical extension that you also believe those great claims about 20 million pound warchests the papers put out around the time he was appointed. 20 million net spend, in other words. But no, we made a profit. What does that entail?

It doesn't make me feel better. It makes me feel significantly worse, because believe it or not, I don't want this club to be regarded as the ultimate wide boys of football, deceiving (or at the very least misleading) managers about what we're willing to spend (nothing above what we make from sales, absolutely nothing), what we're willing to risk in pursuit of our 'ambitions' (nothing, absolutely nothing), what our 'ambitions' actually are (hover around the top six/top eight while the stadium's built mainly by using the club's own money, and then watch our owners make a huge profit selling us on to some other poor sod)....I want our club to be the type of club that managers of AVB's calibre look to as an opportunity, rather than a deathtrap for their repuations and managerial ambitions.

I say again: this man, AVB, lost eleven million pounds choosing to come to us. It isn't feasible that he did so knowing that he'd end up having to settle for Clint Dempsey instead of Hulk, or that he'd end up angrily leaving after Levy coldly demanded that he play Adebayor after a 5-0 defeat by Liverpool.

Does AVB actually have any kind of calibre?

That's where we finally differ on our interpretations. I don't believe that's ambition. AVB evidently doesn't believe that to be ambition. And if you accept the press stories of AVB using his youth strategy to ace the interview as being true, it does follow by logical extension that you also believe those great claims about 20 million pound warchests the papers put out around the time he was appointed. 20 million net spend, in other words. But no, we made a profit. What does that entail?

It doesn't make me feel better. It makes me feel significantly worse, because believe it or not, I don't want this club to be regarded as the ultimate wide boys of football, deceiving (or at the very least misleading) managers about what we're willing to spend (nothing above what we make from sales, absolutely nothing), what we're willing to risk in pursuit of our 'ambitions' (nothing, absolutely nothing), what our 'ambitions' actually are (hover around the top six/top eight while the stadium's built mainly by using the club's own money, and then watch our owners make a huge profit selling us on to some other poor sod)....I want our club to be the type of club that managers of AVB's calibre look to as an opportunity, rather than a deathtrap for their repuations and managerial ambitions.

I say again: this man, AVB, lost eleven million pounds choosing to come to us. It isn't feasible that he did so knowing that he'd end up having to settle for Clint Dempsey instead of Hulk, or that he'd end up angrily leaving after Levy coldly demanded that he play Adebayor after a 5-0 defeat by Liverpool.

He didn't lose £11m, if I'm correct then the reason he joined on after July 1st was because that's when the clause expired.

Apparently being linked in Spain with the Barcalona DoF job

Zubizaretta has just been sacked, and Luis Enrique is Baldini's old coach/mate from Roma

I wonder if having previously done the same job for Madrid will count against him though?

Zubizaretta has just been sacked, and Luis Enrique is Baldini's old coach/mate from Roma

I wonder if having previously done the same job for Madrid will count against him though?
The idea makes sense as they are mates. Would be interesting if he does go.

The idea makes sense as they are mates. Would be interesting if he does go.

He flies over for dinner dates quite a lot doesn't he (the source of lots of misguided speculation about signing Barcelona youth team players)

I don't think it would be good news for us. How long before Barca would be all over Lloris, Verts, Bentaleb and Kane?

He flies over for dinner dates quite a lot doesn't he (the source of lots of misguided speculation about signing Barcelona youth team players)

I don't think it would be good news for us. How long before Barca would be all over Lloris, Verts, Bentaleb and Kane?

At least one year.

Hmm. It's pure speculation anyway. And Barcelona might look at his record at Spurs and reconsider.

Agent Baldini, your mission should you choose to accept: Defect to Barcelona and convince them to sign Lamela and Paulihno for £47m.

Barca can have the pick of players, I can't envisage them being interested in Kane or Bentaleb for years yet - they are nowhere near ready for a team like them. Cant see them splashing out a massive fee on Lloris either. Verts or Eriksen maybe...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Luis Enrique is the next one out the door at Barca, terrible coach.

Just wondered what you guys feel he's done for us in his time at Spurs regarding recruitment of players? I feel personally that he should go, we've now seen almost 2 seasons of the players that he bought almost 2 years ago with the Bale money and really only Eriksen and Chadli have emerged as potential good players and even now and again i question both of these players mentality as they can go missing alot in games. Also, in the summer we didnt secure our main targets Schneiderlin who was a massive miss and a good striker and it's only been fortunate that Kane's rise has been so dramatic otherwise i think we would be in much worser shape this season.

Personally i think Levy should bring Damien Comolli back. As we probably wont finish in the top 4 we need someone with good authority and contacts who's going to bring some established names to the club. I'm ok with Paul Mitchell bringing in some talent but we need a balance because right now we have a young squad but it's devoid of any leaders and our most established players will be leaving in the summer or have left bar Lloris, JV and Walker.

When Damien first came in we got the likes of Berbatov and later on Modric and weren't in the top 4, good signings that i believe we wouldn't have recruited without him and who went on to be big players for us. I also think he did a decent job at Anfield bringing in Suarez and Henderson. Ok, he did bring in Andy Carroll which was the turkey signing but generally where ver he goes i think he does a good job. He also seems to strike quick and bring players in almost after the season has finished, i bloody hate Levy's last minute stuff does my head in and it's only ever born fruit once when we landed Rafa.

Who else would you guys like to see as director of football?

Just wondered what you guys feel he's done for us in his time at Spurs regarding recruitment of players? I feel personally that he should go, we've now seen almost 2 seasons of the players that he bought almost 2 years ago with the Bale money and really only Eriksen and Chadli have emerged as potential good players and even now and again i question both of these players mentality as they can go missing alot in games. Also, in the summer we didnt secure our main targets Schneiderlin who was a massive miss and a good striker and it's only been fortunate that Kane's rise has been so dramatic otherwise i think we would be in much worser shape this season.

Personally i think Levy should bring Damien Comolli back. As we probably wont finish in the top 4 we need someone with good authority and contacts who's going to bring some established names to the club. I'm ok with Paul Mitchell bringing in some talent but we need a balance because right now we have a young squad but it's devoid of any leaders and our most established players will be leaving in the summer or have left bar Lloris, JV and Walker.

When Damien first came in we got the likes of Berbatov and later on Modric and weren't in the top 4, good signings that i believe we wouldn't have recruited without him and who went on to be big players for us. I also think he did a decent job at Anfield bringing in Suarez and Henderson. Ok, he did bring in Andy Carroll which was the turkey signing but generally where ver he goes i think he does a good job. He also seems to strike quick and bring players in almost after the season has finished, i bloody hate Levy's last minute stuff does my head in and it's only ever born fruit once when we landed Rafa.

If you can explain exactly: what his role is? what he does at the club day to day? what power does he over transfers? where who got all this information from? then you can have a opinion on whether he should go or not.

I was with you up until you said Comolli should come back.

Everyone will come on here and give their opinion of what Baldini has or hasn't done for this club, but the fact is no one outside of the club really knows exactly what the dof does at our club.

Your post sums it up really, you talk about missing out on our main target Schneiderlin...Firstly you have no idea if he was our main target. Even if he was what has that got to do with Baldini? It was clear shop was shut with Southampton especially for us after poaching their manager. Also Levy holds the purse strings and calls the shots in negotiations.

You make out like Levy just handed Baldini all the Bale money and said spend it how you want, that's not the case at all. It's been clear for quite some time it's a committee decision, for you to blame Baldini for all our failed signings since he's been here is ridiculous.

I'm not pretending to know exactly what he does but he isn't anywhere close to being fully responsible for signings....

This is all i can find what he does when he was first appointed..

"Franco is extremely well respected in the industry, possessing an extensive knowledge of players around the world," said chairman Daniel Levy on the club's official website.

"He will strengthen our football management team, particularly in the field of recruitment, working closely with Andre Villas-Boas and Tim Sherwood across all levels on the playing side."

Everyone will come on here and give their opinion of what Baldini has or hasn't done for this club, but the fact is no one outside of the club really knows exactly what the dof does at our club.

Your post sums it up really, you talk about missing out on our main target Schneiderlin...Firstly you have no idea if he was our main target. Even if he was what has that got to do with Baldini? It was clear shop was shut with Southampton especially for us after poaching their manager. Also Levy holds the purse strings and calls the shots in negotiations.

You make out like Levy just handed Baldini all the Bale money and said spend it how you want, that's not the case at all. It's been clear for quite some time it's a committee decision, for you to blame Baldini for all our failed signings since he's been here is ridiculous.

I'm not pretending to know exactly what he does but he isn't anywhere close to being fully responsible for signings....

That's what I don't get. Why is there a committee? Surely it should be the manager and the dof TOGETHER in agreement that have the final say with Levy the one who deals with the negotiation in price but staying out of the discussions in terms of who we bring in?

That's what I don't get. Why is there a committee? Surely it should be the manager and the dof TOGETHER in agreement that have the final say with Levy the one who deals with the negotiation in price but staying out of the discussions in terms of who we bring in?

Other than people not understanding how it works, I do not understand why people get so worked up about the committee. I am sure that there are multiple people involved in identifying and targeting players at most clubs.

Have you not just outlined what the comittee is? A team of people working together to identify and sign players

If you are going to place the blame at his door, you first need to be certain which of the summer 2013 signings were his. You also seem to assume that the only criteria that we should judge him on is first team signings, do you think that he has any role at the club outside of this?

Back