• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

It was a cracking goal and shows that he can (at least in this instance) make very good decisions and execute at a very high level. Hopefully he can make more of them.

said it before, said it again - much prefer Townsend through the middle where he can be direct and use his pace. Has a good shot in the box, and would open space up for the likes of Kane/Erikson just be pushing forward. When he goes from the wing it's normally cutting into a crowded middle and losing the ball.

this move started way back when we allowed swansea to come into our half. if only we could deliberately set this up more often.

Right footed shot, give him credit, 4 months ago I don't think he would have even taken that shot with "wrong" foot
I'm not quite sure that's right. Townsend is very good on his right. His England goal was with his right too. There's a video somewhere saying he actually prefers shooting with his right despite being left footed.

Apart from penalties this is possibly the first time he's taken a shot inside the penalty area all season.

I was checking Sqwawka recently and he had taken 9 outside and 2 inside prior to last night (iirc) - was an excellent run/goal

Apart from penalties this is possibly the first time he's taken a shot inside the penalty area all season.
According to http://www.whoscored.com/Players/71522 that was the 3rd shot he's taken from inside the 18 yard box in the Prem this season, which means that (excluding his penalty) Townsend has a 50% shot conversion rate when he's attempted to score whilst inside the area this season.

In contrast: he's 0 from 22 when attempting to shoot from outside the area this season; that cross-shot against Villa in 2013 remains the only time he's found the net from range whilst playing for Spurs despite 85 long shots to date.

It was a cracking goal and shows that he can (at least in this instance) make very good decisions and execute at a very high level. Hopefully he can make more of them.

Lets not get it out of proportion. He beat 1 player. I still think there are some raw materials there which a coach should be able to use: very good dribbling ability, close contol, strikes the ball cleanly and two footedness....however yesterday until the goal he was his usual self - very poor decisions and wasted a huge amount of possession

His speed is always going to be more effective on the left, as he doesn't have to prepare himslef for check in speed to make the cross.

Good for him, but some howlers in the remainder of the match. He wasn't the ony one though.

Terrible game, good goal.

Really?

Thought it was his best game in quite a while. Particularly the opening half an hour he looked good. Released the ball a bit quicker, combined with Walker a couple of times. Found players inside. Put in some decent crosses.

Faded a bit coming towards the end of the first and into the second, some old flaws showing a bit too clearly. But terrible overall? No, I really don't think so.

He did okay, but he also did come out with his usual brainless moments . His game is just not suited to a passing team . I think he'd do better under a manager who is happy to cede possession and play on the counter attack.

He did okay, but he also did come out with his usual brainless moments . His game is just not suited to a passing team . I think he'd do better under a manager who is happy to cede possession and play on the counter attack.
B_QxNjTWkAA3I21.jpg

Really?

Thought it was his best game in quite a while. Particularly the opening half an hour he looked good. Released the ball a bit quicker, combined with Walker a couple of times. Found players inside. Put in some decent crosses.

Faded a bit coming towards the end of the first and into the second, some old flaws showing a bit too clearly. But terrible overall? No, I really don't think so.

I thought aside from the few occasions he tried too much and gave the ball away he was very good. Especially as you say in the opening 30 minutes. I hate to pin one of our players against another but if Lamela gave the same performance and scored that goal people would be falling over themselves with praise for him. Isn't why people say Lamela gives the ball away more than others is because he tries the more difficult to create things? Yet when Andros does it he gets berated. I really don't understand why Andros gets so much stick, he has been ion the team for possibly our best 4 performances of the season.

I thought aside from the few occasions he tried too much and gave the ball away he was very good. Especially as you say in the opening 30 minutes. I hate to pin one of our players against another but if Lamela gave the same performance and scored that goal people would be falling over themselves with praise for him. Isn't why people say Lamela gives the ball away more than others is because he tries the more difficult to create things? Yet when Andros does it he gets berated. I really don't understand why Andros gets so much stick, he has been ion the team for possibly our best 4 performances of the season.
I agree, Townsend has areas clearly he needs to improve on but the criticism he gets is way OTT in some areas on here....

I would never not applaud a great Spurs goal like that last night, but the worst thing about it is that Poch will feel justified in his selection, regardless of Townsend being mostly awful week in week out. Does a year of playing rubbish make it worth it with one great goal. Not for me. You have to look at the return as a whole and Townsends minutes on the pitch this season equate to failure in my book.

Good goal but still didn't look up or anything, if he'd have missed it with Eriksen running from the half way line and wide open in the area there would be uproar.

Also saw him take a couple of shots from outside the area that got blocked as usual, just doesn't seem to have a brain in there.

I would never not applaud a great Spurs goal like that last night, but the worst thing about it is that Poch will feel justified in his selection, regardless of Townsend being mostly awful week in week out. Does a year of playing rubbish make it worth it with one great goal. Not for me. You have to look at the return as a whole and Townsends minutes on the pitch this season equate to failure in my book.

Poch's selection has been vindicated entirely by giving Lamela extended periods of first team football. That is our other option and Townsedn, whilst not being great, has certainly done more to warrant a starting berth than Lamela in general performances. The fact that the praise Lamela's play now is focused around pressing (and needless fouling if we are honest) is indicative of how little he offers us going forward. Defenders are able to press him, show him down blind alleys and dispossess him time and time again. As much of a headless chicken he is, Townsend offers a bit of directness, energy and pace that can cause problems.

Let me make this clear, I am not a huge Townsend fan but he is deserving of his place and he actually had a good game yesterday. His issue is that he will always do some incredibly simple things horrifically and that clearly clouds people's views. Last night he used the ball intelligently at times, put in some good crosses, broke with the ball well and took men on - it wasn't a great performance but it was definitely good. In fact this year his team play and vision has been far better and he has looked a better player even though he is clearly lacking in form and confidence - that should be seen as a positive.

The absolute vitriol he gets on here is completely OTT and pretty rank if the truth be told!

Good goal but still didn't look up or anything, if he'd have missed it with Eriksen running from the half way line and wide open in the area there would be uproar.

Also saw him take a couple of shots from outside the area that got blocked as usual, just doesn't seem to have a brain in there.

what's your point he scored ffs? Why try and take away from what was a great goal made for himself?

He is never gonna be Modric so I don't see your ridiculous point. He passed the ball more than he shot and Kane and Chadli had more blocked shots than any other player so again stop

When I got home from the game and saw the replay - he 100% saw Kane and looked up several times - Kane's run actually meant he couldn't be found and they blocked off passing opportunities for him (if he had wanted to take that option)

As much as people seem to hate this youth product - at least give him credit when he does something good.

Back