• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Squad for 2015-16 season

Might be the case but he did only sign a contract with Monaco last season so he would cost money and has no experience of this league

He only signed for Monaco last season full stop. But Monaco are having a financial meltdown at the moment and its a bit of a fire sale there. His fee would probably be a lot less than Reid's signing on fee + free agent salary bonanza

None of Verts, Fazio or Dier had experience of this league, but all hit the ground running. My mate reckons Abdennour is a lot like Kompany.

Lloris - Vorm

Walker - Yedlin/Fredricks
Rose - Davies
Dier - Fazio
Vertonghen - NEW CB

Bentaleb - Alli - Carroll
NEW CM - Mason

Lamela - NEW RWF
Eriksen - Dembele
NEW LWF - Chadli

KANE - NEW CF - NEW CF

NEW CB : would be happy with a Naybet-esque experienced signing in this position, though a young player at the same level of Deir would also be welcome.

NEW CM - Schneiderlin or a Schneiderlin copy i guess is what we require here.

NEW RWF - to seriously challenge for a first team spot rather than be a clear back up to Lamela.

NEW LWF - Rodriguez would be a good shout having worked with MP before and seemingly gettable. I like Chadli but same as with the other side i think
we need a player capable of being first choice to alternate over the season.

NEW CFs - Ings and an experienced older player to play 3rd choice and be happy with that.

I am quite similar to you in my thoughts in terms of the positions we need to fill. I would like to see:
NEW CB : Reid from West Ham on a free transfer would do me just fine. The Algerian chap at Monaco is another we've been linked with who could be a good option.
NEW CM - This is the most difficult position for us to fill I think.... Schneiderlin would be awesome, Cabeye probably just as good but both are likely to be very expensive. Maybe somebody like Youri Tielemans from Anderlecht could be an option in that he is very young but already proven good enough to hold his own at CL level.
NEW RWF - I would be perfectly happy for this role to be filled by Pritchard next season. He deserves a chance after a couple of good loan spells.
NEW LWF - Memphis Depay is the one that I would love. Jay Rodriguez I guess is a possibility but I'm still worried about his injury. I have also liked the look of Schlup at Leicester whenever I have seen him.
NEW CFs - Ings is likely to be a decent option in terms of cost if a sensible fee can be agreed with Burnley (or assuming the tribuneral fee isn't too high) Berahino would be gettable and can certainly score goals. Icardi is supposd to be the player that Inter Milan will have to sell in order to raise some money, I haven't seen that much of him but I have liked what I have seen. Charlie Austin I'm sure is gettable if QPR go down. Could probably even bring in Lambert from Liverpool as a short term option for back up if necessary.
A dream summer for me would probably be signing: Reid - free, Ings - £7M, Cabeye - £18M, Depay - £18M, Icardi - £20M
That is a pretty hefty amount of money to spend though!.... and the last 3 in the list may well command transfer fees higher than I have predicted.

That leaves:
Friedel, Kaboul, Chiriches, Capoue, Paulinho, Holtby, Townsend, Lennon, Soldado and Adebayor as senior players to be sold. I think we would probably bring in about £50 million max for that lot. Leaves a squad of:

Lloris - Vorm - Archer (or whoever our best young homegrown keeper is)?
Walker - Yedlin - Fredericks
Rose - Davies
Dier - Fazio
Vertonghen - Reid
Bentaleb - Stambouli - Ali
Cabeye - Mason - Carroll
Lamela - Pritchard
Eriksen - Dembele
Depay - Chadli
KANE - Icardi - Ings

-------------------------------------------Lloris (Vorm)
Walker (Yedlin)-----------Dier (Fazio)------------Vertonghen (Reid)--------Rose (Davies)
-----------------Bentaleb(Stambouli/Ali)----------Cabaye(Mason/Carroll)
---------Lamela(Pritchard)----------Ericksen(Dembele)-----------Depay(Chadli)
---------------------------------------------Kane(Icardi/Ings)

There are also some nice options with the front 4 players being able to play across different positions in our attack.

Last edited:
Sigh. This thread was coming. :p

The assumptions I'm making are that a) we'll miss out on the CL again, and b) none of the players currently out of favour will work their way back into the side come May.

We'll sell to buy, as per usual. The most realistic 25 I can see heading into next season will be this:

----------------------------------------------------Lloris/Vorm/Archer---------------------------------------------

Walker/Yedlin-----------------Fazio/Dier------------------------------New CB/Veljkovic------Rose/Davies

----------------------------Bentaleb/Stambouli----------------------------Alli/Mason--------------------

Lamela/Townsend/Pritchard--------------Eriksen/Dembele/Winks-------------------------Chadli/New LM

----------------------------------------------------Kane/Soldado/New ST-------------------------------------------

Ideally, I'd have liked a good, ball-playing DM in the side in place of Stambo (who hasn't really shone in his appearances thus far), but it's unrealistic to imagine him being moved on after just one season. I would definitely have liked to see McCarthy come in: I think he's as good a player as we can expect to get in that role, as Schneiderlin and the like are far, far too good to stoop to dancing to the tune of Levy's ultra-low bidding process.

Secondly, I don't expect Verts to stay either, although Lloris can probably be made to stay for another year given his position.

The usual suspects (Chiriches, Capoue, Kaboul, Ade, Paulinho, Lennon, Holtby ( :( ) ) will likely be moved on, and I don't expect to see the likes of Grant Hall,and Ryan Fredericks around much either, given the depth ahead of them: they'll likely go out on loan again, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them sold too. And Friedel will surely retire - he's now commentating on Spurs matches while still technically a GK at the club, surely an untenable situation.

Positives:

Youth - I think we'll see at least two of our promising youngsters get fairly important first-team roles next season - I'm wagering on Veljkovic and Pritchard being the ones, given a) Veljkovic's versatility and technical ability (which would allow him to fill that DM spot if worst came to worst), and b) Pritchard's magnificent form at Brentford. I've included Winks in the squad, but more on him later. Beyond that, it'll be an amazingly young squad unless the incomings are all thirty-somethings. And while the likes of Azzaoui, Yahaya and Edwards are too young for consideration in 2015/2016, given the rave reviews around them I'd be surprised if they weren't in contention in 2016/2017, assuming a good season in the U-18s and U-21s for them all.

Home-grown - Of that provisional squad, nine players are English (ignoring the potential incomings), 11 are British, and anywhere from 6 to 9 are academy graduates (depending on how long you consider a sufficient time period spent at the academy for a player to be considered a 'graduate'). Good, warm feeling from that stat.

More suited to Poch's style - we were hampered from the start this season given that Poch evidently doesn't trust 7 or 8 players in our squad to be regular starters, severely limiting our options and harming our overall fitness. I assume this squad in 2015/2016 would be more suitable to him in that regard, even if it's unlikely that he'll be particularly happy at the low-cost, bargain-bin nature of some of the players in it.

New signings:

New CB - I'm wagering that it'll be Moreno. I know Gutter Boy's put some ITK out there about Abdennour, and that player is a possibility, but I'm still sticking with my prediction for now. :p
New LM - Andre Ayew, free transfer, problem solved in the Levy-est of ways. Milner's also available on a free, and would be useful given his work-ethic and experience, but his wages will likely make Levy shiver in horror.
New ST - difficult here. I love Danny Ings (great lad as well as a surprisingly good player) and I'd like him to come in on a free come July, but if we can, we should be all over Timo Werner - only 18, has the potential to be absolutely world-class, and currently the top prospect in a Stuttgart side which looks alarmingly close to the drop - he could be a brilliant and relatively cheap acquisition if we can pull it off (which of course relies on a lot of factors, not least Stuttgart going down :p ).

Wild-card:

Winks or Carroll? - This is where the aforementioned Harry Winks comes into play - Carroll has been great for Swansea, an energetic DM who's built their play from the back in a manner similar to Spurs-era Carrick. He'd be a great option to have to pair with Mason and Alli (who seems a more Gerrard-type player, from what I've heard), and he'd be both more experienced than Alli and more calm in possession than Mason - the latter in particular opening a slew of tactical options to Poch, from sending him on late in a game to stifle the opposition an calm things down to playing him as a conservative AM if need be.

However, we don't know if he'd be happy to compete for his place here (As opposed to just playing regularly at Swansea without the hassle), or if Levy won't go pound-eyed if Swansea chuck enough money at us. In that regard, Winks (judging by what people have said about him) seems like an easier option to use in the squad as a 3rd AM. I wouldn't be particularly opposed to either of them being used, but I don't think there's space for both of them (not from a 25-man squad perspective, as Winks might not count given his age, but from a perspective of giving either of them enough meaningful playing time over the course of a season). I leave it to GG to decide. :p

Closing comments:

Soldado: I don't think we can offload him now, even if it's clear that he's absolutely shot and needs to go as much as we need to let him go: Levy won't take the inevitable loss, and no team will pay anywhere close to what we paid for him (be it 13 or 26 million quid, depending on whether you count the add-ons) given his presumably high wages.

Overall nature of the squad - young, hungry, presumably committed, and all good lads - sure, not full of 'quality', but a squad seemingly well-suited to Poch. Overall, quite good.

While I agree that young players must be given a chance and Pochettino seems to be the one getting the best out of them, I feel most of the squads posted are too inbalanced towards the youth. I think the cup final proved that we have the desire and grit, but we seem to be lacking in experience and that calming factor on the pitch. While I agree with most of the possible transfer list candidates, I do not think they can be replaced by 19-21 year-old kids just yet. What we need is a Scott Parker type of player who can do the job for a year or two and take some of the mental pressure off the team.

He only signed for Monaco last season full stop. But Monaco are having a financial meltdown at the moment and its a bit of a fire sale there. His fee would probably be a lot less than Reid's signing on fee + free agent salary bonanza

None of Verts, Fazio or Dier had experience of this league, but all hit the ground running. My mate reckons Abdennour is a lot like Kompany.

a lot like Kompany?? in what ways, i mean Kompany is a very special defender, one of the best, a great leader too.

Wild-card:

Winks or Carroll? - This is where the aforementioned Harry Winks comes into play - Carroll has been great for Swansea, an energetic DM who's built their play from the back in a manner similar to Spurs-era Carrick. He'd be a great option to have to pair with Mason and Alli (who seems a more Gerrard-type player, from what I've heard), and he'd be both more experienced than Alli and more calm in possession than Mason - the latter in particular opening a slew of tactical options to Poch, from sending him on late in a game to stifle the opposition an calm things down to playing him as a conservative AM if need be.

However, we don't know if he'd be happy to compete for his place here (As opposed to just playing regularly at Swansea without the hassle), or if Levy won't go pound-eyed if Swansea chuck enough money at us. In that regard, Winks (judging by what people have said about him) seems like an easier option to use in the squad as a 3rd AM. I wouldn't be particularly opposed to either of them being used, but I don't think there's space for both of them (not from a 25-man squad perspective, as Winks might not count given his age, but from a perspective of giving either of them enough meaningful playing time over the course of a season). I leave it to GG to decide. :p

has he?? ive heard he has been quite average and actually hasnt even played very much recently, he spends quite a bit of time on the bench.

has he?? ive heard he has been quite average and actually hasnt even played very much recently, he spends quite a bit of time on the bench.

I did a running compilation of posts about Carroll by the Swansea fans on their forum a while ago, on the 'Tom Carroll' thread. Most of them were very impressed by the lad, to the point where a lot of them had him down as the must-buy 'Joe Allen' type player that they'd been lacking ever since the real one left. From what I've seen of him, he seems very composed in possession and brave in the tackle and the press: certainly an ideal Pochettino player.

While I agree that young players must be given a chance and Pochettino seems to be the one getting the best out of them, I feel most of the squads posted are too inbalanced towards the youth. I think the cup final proved that we have the desire and grit, but we seem to be lacking in experience and that calming factor on the pitch. While I agree with most of the possible transfer list candidates, I do not think they can be replaced by 19-21 year-old kids just yet. What we need is a Scott Parker type of player who can do the job for a year or two and take some of the mental pressure off the team.

Milner? Like I said, on a free, great experience, relentless work-ethic, usually fit: however, would probably be looking for a last big pay packet, similar to Parker. And that would terrify Levy.

I don't disagree that we need the experience and quality that only top-level, 'finished article' players bring. I just don't think getting one is likely, for sad, somewhat self-destructive but ultimately obvious reasons. And I think most of the posters here think the same (at least when it comes to the remoteness of the possibility of acquiring players in their prime), hence the bias towards youth.

I did a running compilation of posts about Carroll by the Swansea fans on their forum a while ago, on the 'Tom Carroll' thread. Most of them were very impressed by the lad, to the point where a lot of them had him down as the must-buy 'Joe Allen' type player that they'd been lacking ever since the real one left. From what I've seen of him, he seems very composed in possession and brave in the tackle and the press: certainly an ideal Pochettino player.

Interesting.

I wonder if the reason why he hasn't been playing as much is that we turned down their offer to sign him permanently and that they just prefer developing their own players considering where they are in the table at the moment.

Milner? Like I said, on a free, great experience, relentless work-ethic, usually fit: however, would probably be looking for a last big pay packet, similar to Parker. And that would terrify Levy.

I don't disagree that we need the experience and quality that only top-level, 'finished article' players bring. I just don't think getting one is likely, for sad, somewhat self-destructive but ultimately obvious reasons. And I think most of the posters here think the same (at least when it comes to the remoteness of the possibility of acquiring players in their prime), hence the bias towards youth.

I thought Milner was likely to be offered a new contract by City?

Levy did sign Parker though, and Adebayor, and VdV, and Crouch, and Defoe, and Keane... Last summer Fazio was 27, right? And that's ignoring the players signed after the Bale money came in.

There will be a bias towards youth, as (imo) there should be. That bias doesn't mean there will be no experienced players signed.

a lot like Kompany?? in what ways, i mean Kompany is a very special defender, one of the best, a great leader too.

I guess the physical attributes of power and pace, combined with good defensive awareness and technique? I don't think leadership is a particular quality though. My friend said his weakness is his occasional (on pitch) ill-discipline

Interesting.

I wonder if the reason why he hasn't been playing as much is that we turned down their offer to sign him permanently and that they just prefer developing their own players considering where they are in the table at the moment.

Very possible. Nothing to play for, and they don't gain much from playing Carroll over one of their own post-January: in their place we'd probably do the same.

I thought Milner was likely to be offered a new contract by City?

Levy did sign Parker though, and Adebayor, and VdV, and Crouch, and Defoe, and Keane... Last summer Fazio was 27, right? And that's ignoring the players signed after the Bale money came in.

There will be a bias towards youth, as (imo) there should be. That bias doesn't mean there will be no experienced players signed.

Levy did sign all those players mentioned above. We got 2009-2012 as a result of that.

I think the difference, however, is that previously our signings were always backed up by an awareness of the seeming inability of our youth system to supply quality players for the first-team. Now, we're likely going to concentrate heavily on the youth system going forward given its evident success. And while that does have its pros, it also provides a potentially cast-iron excuse to avoid signing ready-made players that I think Levy will use to its fullest potential. 'F*ck the players you want, use a youth-teamer, they're good enough.'

Don't get me wrong, we'll probably bring in a few more established players when Lloris and Eriksen leave: not reinvesting those funds would be the catalyst for some very...creative chanting at the Lane, I suspect. But I don't think it's likely this summer - we've probably got at least Lloris sewn up, and some admittedly genuinely good youth players around - it'll be easy to just tell Poch to use them and get on with it, supplemented with a few free transfers and players brought in with 'potential stamped all over them.

Levy did sign all those players mentioned above. We got 2009-2012 as a result of that.

I think the difference, however, is that previously our signings were always backed up by an awareness of the seeming inability of our youth system to supply quality players for the first-team. Now, we're likely going to concentrate heavily on the youth system going forward given its evident success. And while that does have its pros, it also provides a potentially cast-iron excuse to avoid signing ready-made players that I think Levy will use to its fullest potential. 'F*ck the players you want, use a youth-teamer, they're good enough.'

Don't get me wrong, we'll probably bring in a few more established players when Lloris and Eriksen leave: not reinvesting those funds would be the catalyst for some very...creative chanting at the Lane, I suspect. But I don't think it's likely this summer - we've probably got at least Lloris sewn up, and some admittedly genuinely good youth players around - it'll be easy to just tell Poch to use them and get on with it, supplemented with a few free transfers and players brought in with 'potential stamped all over them.

To what end?

If the footballing men on the transfer committee, including our head coach that is obviously very willing to trust and develop young players, say that we need a new player in position X because the youngsters in that position aren't ready or good enough. To what end does Levy tell them to fudge off?

We've always reinvested money gained from transfers into the first team. We're likely to raise a fair bit of money in the summer from selling squad players.

Our transfer history under Levy shows pretty clearly that the footballing men are given quite a lot of responsibility. Look at the differences in transfers under Redknapp and Comolli/Ramos. Look at the players signed under Baldini. It's pretty obvious that those on the committee have a great say in what goes on. Why would Levy change that now?

To what end?

If the footballing men on the transfer committee, including our head coach that is obviously very willing to trust and develop young players, say that we need a new player in position X because the youngsters in that position aren't ready or good enough. To what end does Levy tell them to fudge off?

We've always reinvested money gained from transfers into the first team. We're likely to raise a fair bit of money in the summer from selling squad players.

Our transfer history under Levy shows pretty clearly that the footballing men are given quite a lot of responsibility. Look at the differences in transfers under Redknapp and Comolli/Ramos. Look at the players signed under Baldini. It's pretty obvious that those on the committee have a great say in what goes on. Why would Levy change that now?

Long answer short - because we haven't been in this situation before, and it's likely to be new territory for both Levy and the vaunted 'transfer committee' (signally useless creation in my opinion, but that's for another time).

I made this point a while ago - a youth team-based recruitment system relies on a perfect synergy between the manager and the chairman/man in charge of the money at the club. The manager is expected to develop the youth at the club as far as possible without unduly damaging the club's league position - the chairman is expected to support the manager when he makes requests for those signings that he simply cannot do without.

This is the first time such demands are being placed on Levy. He is faced on the one hand with a youth team that seemingly has both the answers to a lot of the squad's weaknesses and is a very cheap way to fill the gaps in the squad that cannot be filled by home-produced players (i.e, the Dele Alli-type signings): and on the other hand, with his eternally-proclaimed stadium project to finance. Ergo, I do not expect the manager's requests to figure prominently in Levy's thinking going forward. It is far more likely that we will see larger and larger profits on player trading going forward: we've already seen them for the past few seasons (second-lowest spenders in the PL over the past five seasons, net profit of some 12-15 million quid over that period, yada yada), and there seems to be absolutely no reason to expect that to change as youth-teamers are increasingly proffered up as solutions to the manager's woes.

Long answer short - because we haven't been in this situation before, and it's likely to be new territory for both Levy and the vaunted 'transfer committee' (signally useless creation in my opinion, but that's for another time).

I made this point a while ago - a youth team-based recruitment system relies on a perfect synergy between the manager and the chairman/man in charge of the money at the club. The manager is expected to develop the youth at the club as far as possible without unduly damaging the club's league position - the chairman is expected to support the manager when he makes requests for those signings that he simply cannot do without.

This is the first time such demands are being placed on Levy. He is faced on the one hand with a youth team that seemingly has both the answers to a lot of the squad's weaknesses and is a very cheap way to fill the gaps in the squad that cannot be filled by home-produced players (i.e, the Dele Alli-type signings): and on the other hand, with his eternally-proclaimed stadium project to finance. Ergo, I do not expect the manager's requests to figure prominently in Levy's thinking going forward. It is far more likely that we will see larger and larger profits on player trading going forward: we've already seen them for the past few seasons (second-lowest spenders in the PL over the past five seasons, net profit of some 12-15 million quid over that period, yada yada), and there seems to be absolutely no reason to expect that to change as youth-teamers are increasingly proffered up as solutions to the manager's woes.

So long answer short complete speculation based on your rather complete and utter dislike and distrust of Levy? Alright then.

So long answer short complete speculation based on your rather complete and utter dislike and distrust of Levy? Alright then.

Pfft. Based on three things - a) a trend of increasing profits on player trading over the past few years, b) our activity last summer and over the last few seasons, as explained by AVB, and c) Arsenal's activity when faced with the exact same situation, right down to the FutureDome stadium that was copied by the guys who designed us. The last is particularly important - a club with more success than us, with a more perfect sync between the board and manager than presumably exists between Levy and Poch, with a bigger relative financial base heading into their project - with all this, they ended up doing exactly what I described above, making large profits on player trading, using their youth team to form the spine of their team and signing young players with 'potential' to make up the rest of it. And they did it for half a decade.

Yes, I dislike and distrust Levy (when it comes to football, not personally), but that didn't actually factor into my thinking much, if you can believe that.

Pfft. Based on three things - a) a trend of increasing profits on player trading over the past few years, b) our activity last summer and over the last few seasons, as explained by AVB, and c) Arsenal's activity when faced with the exact same situation, right down to the FutureDome stadium that was copied by the guys who designed us. The last is particularly important - a club with more success than us, with a more perfect sync between the board and manager than presumably exists between Levy and Poch, with a bigger relative financial base heading into their project - with all this, they ended up doing exactly what I described above, making large profits on player trading, using their youth team to form the spine of their team and signing young players with 'potential' to make up the rest of it. And they did it for half a decade.

Yes, I dislike and distrust Levy (when it comes to football, not personally), but that didn't actually factor into my thinking much, if you can believe that.

a) A trend that a far as I know is based on fees speculated on by the press. Ignorant of exact details and the probably rather complex clauses included in most big deals for players. Also ignoring completely agent fees and money spent on sign-on fees for existing players. Sure.

b) We've just about broken even this season haven't we? I think we were smart last summer and we've given the squad the chance to show what they can do under Pochettino.

c) Sure. There's a chance that will happen, if so I will say fair enough. But, I wouldn't equate that with telling the head coach to fudge off.

Oh, and Dubai I think I have to object to you saying "very cheap way to fill the gaps in the squad that cannot be filled by home-produced players (i.e, the Dele Alli-type signings".

These are the kinds of signings we should be making. In price range and age it's comparable to signings of players like Dier, Bale and Walker for example. It's not just cheaply filling a gap in our squad, it should be an integral part of our transfer strategy. And it clearly and visibly doesn't stop us from also signing some older and more experienced players. Look no further than Fazio this summer for an example.

Milner would be a fantastic signing - Probably the most underrated player in the PremierLeague and certainly most underrated England player!

It's going to be a busy summer at the Lane. As I alluded to in another thread a few days ago, I see the gap between the 'top five' and ourselves increasing, so expect us to spend the next few seasons promoting our most talented kids with a sprinkle of signings on top.

Alot of the players below will be leaving this summer. Not all, but most:

Lloris, Friedel, Kaboul, Chiriches, Vertonghen, Capoue, Stambouli, Dembele, Carroll, Paulinho, Holtby, Lennon, Lamela, Townsend, Soldado, Adebayor

Reading that back, it is a joke how many average players we have in this squad. The amount of wages going on players who don't even get on the bench is pathetic. The only player I'll be fussed to see leave there is Hugo. I think he'll go to PSG or Real Madrid. No chance we sell everyone there in one summer, I think Vertonghen, Dembele, Holtby and one of Lamela/Townsend will stay put.

Like I said I think we'll mostly depend on our youth to replace the holes left. Pritchard and Alli will go straight into the team IMO. And I'll be happy with that. We'll spend our funds on a keeper replacement for Hugo, a centre back, a left winger and two strikers. Below is the squad I expect us to go into the season with:

BEGOVIC - VORM - ARCHER

WALKER - YEDLIN
REID - FAZIO
VERTONGHEN - DIER
ROSE - DAVIES

ALLI - MASON
BENTALEB - DEMBELE

PRITCHARD - LAMELA/TOWNSEND
ERIKSEN - HOLTBY
JAY RODRIGUEZ - CHADLI

KANE - BERAHINO - AUSTIN

I'd be okay with that as I've accepted our place until we have the new stadium. Lots of young talent, excited to see how they develop. Should enough to get 6th over the next couple seasons unless Southampton or Everton have great years.

COYS

It's going to be a busy summer at the Lane. As I alluded to in another thread a few days ago, I see the gap between the 'top five' and ourselves increasing, so expect us to spend the next few seasons promoting our most talented kids with a sprinkle of signings on top.

I don't agree with that.

Arsenal and Man U are very much on the wane

City have run out of momentum and Chelsea are staying about consistent.

Only Liverpool are moving forward with any momentum, and they are just us two years further on.

Despite Southampton's valiant effort, the big gaps are between the top 2 and the rest, and between 3rd-6th and the rest.

Back