• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Give it a rest. That is utterly wrong.

Sure - prove to me that I am wrong.

On what basis did Soldado have a major cult following just up till last night - despite horrendous miss after miss and not one single decent match in the time he has played for us?

This when others - Paulinho, Townsend just to name two - are regularly slated and vilified, despite actually contributing more than the Spaniard (although admittedly still not pulling up trees)

i've always found it's often those who can't accept differing opinions to their own who throw around such claims. Soldado's worth to the team and ability as a player has been a hot topic on this site since day 1, in fact probably as far back as when he was first linked - doesn't really sound much like an untouchable to me

i've always found it's often those who can't accept differing opinions to their own who throw around such claims. Soldado's worth to the team and ability as a player has been a hot topic on this site since day 1, in fact probably as far back as when he was first linked - doesn't really sound much like an untouchable to me

Fair enough, you may be right. But I have been willing on Soldado, hoping against what I was seeing, that he would turn out a success. When he scored against Everton, I jumped across the room like a lunatic. I would have loved for him to be the player we hoped he would be.

Yes, Soldado has elicited discussion but I invite you to compare this thread with that of Paulinho and Townsend and see the tone of that discussion. Townsend is regularly raked over coals and vilified; Paulinho is regularly called a waste of space. Yet, Soldado's horrendous misses have been justified, excused or minimised. The fact that you mention his "worth to the team" even at this stage seems adds to that conclusion. He has been given space, leeway, a Nelson's eye - call it what you will - that definitely has not been afforded to other players.

That is the basis of my untouchable comment.

the Paulinho thread was the same as far as i can remember, but as he slipped away from first team involvement the thread dissappeared. Townsend? seems as evenly debated as most others from my position (as someone who has no strong feelings on him one way or the other)

Just out of curiosity why does everyone say he is so likable? Is it because he appears mad when he misses sitter after sitter? or he tweets COYS occasionally? I really don't get the love in with him even putting aside he has been absolutely dreadful at his job for us since day 1

Not sure (and I see nobody has really answered you yet) but fandom can bear little correlation to what actually happens on the field. He could stay another year, achieve the same, and at the end of next season some would still like him and defend him and feel sorry for him.

Not sure (and I see nobody has really answered you yet) but fandom can bear little correlation to what actually happens on the field. He could stay another year, achieve the same, and at the end of next season some would still like him and defend him and feel sorry for him.

My only guess is it's cringe how bad he is been in front of goal and people just feel sorry for him as you say because he must feel like a waster. However, I still don't see how this translates into everyone saying how likable he is. I haven't seen him do anything out of the ordinary that any of our other players don't do or say? People say he doesn't go missing but he actually does like yesterday he didn't even think of shooting even as the goalie showed him half the goal that reeks of lacking bottle. The few goals he has scored have been instinctive volleys or first time shots that he doesn't have a chance to think about. Again I don't know how a player doesn't go missing aside from refusing to play when the manager puts him on the team sheet it's all a mystery to me but I don't want him throwing away anymore results for our club. Should never play for us again imo

In all the years watching football , I've never seen a two on one, end like that , it were unbelievable.

I've always sat there through the Bobby misses in silence, with a shake of the head and maybe a face palm in my moment of disbelief. But last night I just got up off my seat and screamed out a , "fuuck off Soldado you caant, just fucck off out of my club!

Ridiculous that a player can go from where he were to what he is now. The variance in his form from his Valencia days to the present, is now absurd .

are we twins?

He is quite simply our worst ever value for money transfer.... The sad thing is that he probably would've still been our worst value for money transfer ever even if he had cost half as much as he did.

He is quite simply our worst ever value for money transfer.... The sad thing is that he probably would've still been our worst value for money transfer ever even if he had cost half as much as he did.
But think of all the money we have made on other players in the past. Bale, Carrick, Berbatov, modric. Some you win and some you lose.

Give it a rest. That is utterly wrong.
Is it really though? Have to agree with Maltese, it's the same the impression that I have formed.

Perfectly understandable when Soldado first arrived, he was full of promise. What I struggle to understand is how he has been shown so much patience for so long when someone like Townsend gets crucified mercilessly week after week despite often contributing far more - even sometimes when he's having a relatively poor game.

my read of it is that despite the goal return, Soldado is still making the right decisions most of the time (Thursday's game noted), he gets in the right positions and gets chances, he's brought many a smart save from many keeper, he shows remorse and he keeps plugging away, he's not hidden from the situation or attempted to blame anyone else

how many of the "spacegoats" can that be said of?

my read of it is that despite the goal return, Soldado is still making the right decisions most of the time (Thursday's game noted), he gets in the right positions and gets chances, he's brought many a smart save from many keeper, he shows remorse and he keeps plugging away, he's not hidden from the situation or attempted to blame anyone else

how many of the "spacegoats" can that be said of?
he has been an expensive failure. His performances have directly cost us games. Not sure about the hiding bit, thought he hid pretty well after his mess up against Fiorentina. Can't remember a smart save either. Tbh reading the message posts there is often no justifiable rationale why some people get the love they do and others are despised. It's certainly not based on objective analysis of football, so the much despised Ade has done far more for the Spurs cause than soldado.

I think fans forgive Soldado simply as the alternative choice is who- Ade. If we had any sort of good backup, he'd be questioned more. The fact is he is 2nd choice to Kane and there is no third choice. As most here hate Ade, it would be silly then wanting him in the team. Townsend and Paulinho have more competition so get more grief as to why they are playing instead of Mason or Lamela who most have high hopes for.

It was a horrible moment against Fiorentina but he hardly cost us the game. It was 180mins of football, and he got 1 goal but we were not good enough as a team and squad in defence or attack to cope with a good team without our best team.

I dread to calculate the price we have paid for each of Soldado's goals. We have a cup final tomorrow I doubt even his most ardent supporters would look forward to him being in the starting line up or have any confidence that he could change things if he came on. Basically he's been a huge waste of money.

He didn't work out.
We shouldn't need to play him ever again.
Same as Paulinho, Chiriches, Capoue, Kaboul and Adebayor.
We should all move on.

He didn't work out.
We shouldn't need to play him ever again.
Same as Paulinho, Chiriches, Capoue, Kaboul and Adebayor.
We should all move on.

In fairness to the others, we have replacements but we just have Kane and Soldado as strikers, we can't play Kane for every game.

I dread to calculate the price we have paid for each of Soldado's goals. We have a cup final tomorrow I doubt even his most ardent supporters would look forward to him being in the starting line up or have any confidence that he could change things if he came on. Basically he's been a huge waste of money.

I wouldn't mind him playing behind Kane actually, Eriksen and Chadli in the wide positions

he has an eye for a pass and big game experience against superior sides, he also has a bit of a nasty side which we will need tomorrow

as for a price per goal, we'd need to know exactly how much we actually paid, I'm sure the quoted 26m included add ins based on performance which are unlikely to have been met, I expect it's about 1m a goal so far

I wouldn't mind him playing behind Kane actually, Eriksen and Chadli in the wide positions

he has an eye for a pass and big game experience against superior sides, he also has a bit of a nasty side which we will need tomorrow

as for a price per goal, we'd need to know exactly how much we actually paid, I'm sure the quoted 26m included add ins based on performance which are unlikely to have been met, I expect it's about 1m a goal so far

Chelsea will murder us if we play him there. When have we seen his nasty side? We need someone like dembele there to press them high up the pitch. Soldado would be useless. If you are going to play him he has to be played in front of Kane.

Chelsea will murder us if we play him there. When have we seen his nasty side? We need someone like dembele there to press them high up the pitch. Soldado would be useless. If you are going to play him he has to be played in front of Kane.
No just no if he touches the pitch tomorrow I will be livid. All he does when he plays in front of Kane is get in his way. also when we create chances we want Kane in the end of them certainly not this asshat bobby

I do agree though previous post is absurd. play a wrecked on confidence player in a new position in a cup final ahead of more than capable players who have proven to be good in that position? It is absolute madness some opinions on Soldado.

Back