• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

Re: Official - Mousa Dembele

Unfair on Paulinho, who did well in the hole when he came on and supplied a lovely touch en route to the 5th goal, deft and accurate.

Agree. Thought he did well. When he plays at CM he struggles most times but playing him behind the striker makes the best use of his talents.

I wouldn't shed a tear if he was sold though.

Had an excellent game overall against Palace yesterday. Have picked out his contributions from some notes I took that reveal how much more positive he's now playing.

Timings are approx.

03.00 Dembele long-range shot - just wide along the floor from 25 yards

21.00 Superb one-touch passing move to open up Palace involving Eriksen Dembele, Walker

23.00 Dembele: great forward ball down flank to Townsend who collects then ****s up

27.00 Good work by Dembele

31.00 Excellent cross by Dembele to centre of box, headed across goal by Chadli, defender heads into touch for corner

36.00 Dembele injured following nasty tackle, Bannon booked

37.00 Great forward pass Dembele

39.00 Dembele long crossfield pass out towards Rose is just beyond reach, decent attempt

40.00 Poor skied headed clearance Dembele, clears second attempt

41.00 Great work Dembele

HT 0-0

49.00 GOAL! 0-1 Spurs. Dembele quality forward pass to Chadli on edge of box, he across to Kane for strike beyond keeper

54.00 Excellent work Dembele to fend off Palace and retain Spurs possession under pressure

60.00 Headed clearance from corner by Dembele

66.00 Excellent work Dembele and Stambouli in middle of park

69.00 F***! 1-1 from pen.

70.00 Great ball Dembele in box to put Walker in, his shot blocked

71.00 Good long ball over the defence Dembele towards six-yard box, only just beyond Kane who would have been in with only goalie to beat

80.00 Goal Palace 2-1. Poor defending all round. Dembele bottled challenge, turning his back as Puncheon shaped to shoot

81.00 Corner following good work Dembele in box

90.00 Good work Dembele going forward

Had an excellent game overall against Palace yesterday. Have picked out his contributions from some notes I took that reveal how much more positive he's now playing.

I disagree. He did what Dembele does well, very well but this does not fit very well with our style of play now

I disagree. He did what Dembele does well, very well but this does not fit very well with our style of play now

I disagree with that to an extent. He has some amazing strengths and just needs the right CM partner next to him. If he was playing next to someone more progressive like Mason or Bentaleb I think that would be much better. We still need someone like him who is physically strong and good on the ball, but he does need someone more forward minded than Stambouli next to him....

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

I disagree with that to an extent. He has some amazing strengths and just needs the right CM partner next to him. If he was playing next to someone more progressive like Mason or Bentaleb I think that would be much better. We still need someone like him who is physically strong and good on the ball, but he does need someone more forward minded than Stambouli next to him....

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

I agree that he has strengths but our system relies on having two players at the base of midfield who can get the ball forward quickly. If you want strength on the ball, Dembele is your man but quick incisive passing is not his forte.

I agree that he has strengths but our system relies on having two players at the base of midfield who can get the ball forward quickly. If you want strength on the ball, Dembele is your man but quick incisive passing is not his forte.

Except that's precisely what he came up with yesterday. He was similarly much more positive against Chelsea with quick incisive forward passing such that we have rarely if ever seen from him before. I tell you Poch has got him playing much more positively. I sense he desperately wants his place back and is doing all that's required in order to win it.

Thought Moussa had one of his best games in a long time tonight. Was actually taking players on and driving passed them like when he first arrived, lets hope this continues. He's much more effective when playing further forward thats for sure and not as one of the deeper 2 holding players. I think the front four tonight is what we need to stick with for a while as they all gives us creativity and goals. Eriksen and Kane have shouldered the work load for most of the season so now we need goals and creativity from Moussa and Lamela.

Thought Moussa had one of his best games in a long time tonight. Was actually taking players on and driving passed them like when he first arrived, lets hope this continues. He's much more effective when playing further forward thats for sure and not as one of the deeper 2 holding players. I think the front four tonight is what we need to stick with for a while as they all gives us creativity and goals. Eriksen and Kane have shouldered the work load for most of the season so now we need goals and creativity from Moussa and Lamela.

Good in a game where most of the game they couldn't be happy just sitting back. Where his defensive contribution was much appreciated and we could at least at times attack on the break and he could use his pace. Against lower level opposition where his strength and dribbling ability was emphasized.

Previously good against Chelsea. Again a game where defensive contributions were key, attacks on the break etc.

Works really well in that role. Said in the OMT that defensively he's the perfect attacking midfielder. But up against a Pulis organized West Brom it will be a completely different story and I see no real reason to think that Dembele will all of a sudden start functioning playing a role and in game conditions where he's only been sporadically effective at best in the past. When we want creativity and goals in a situation like that I really don't think he's the answer. If Chadli is ready there's no question he should be preferred for example.

Against Arsenal, Liverpool and Fiorentina though, in with a real shout playing a similar role to today for me.

I don't think he did anything useful - good strength, but he was just dribbling round in circles.

I prefer him at AM to CM, just because he can't harm our transitioning speed from there.

We've really missed Chadli this past week and a bit though.

Agree with this. I have said for some time that his best position is further forward and not part of the two CMs. If we dont sign another striker in the window, I would like to see him starting more regularly in this position. He is a much better foil for Kane than either Ade or Solly imo. I think he would get us more goals too if he started here and we could certainly do with other players contributing. He has an extremely powerful shot and needs to "weaponise" it!

I don't think he did anything useful - good strength, but he was just dribbling round in circles.

I prefer him at AM to CM, just because he can't harm our transitioning speed from there.

A fine post. Agreed. I'd love to see him shoot a bit more often once in those positions. Although I will give him more than you did with regards to his influence on the game.

A bit of a harsh assessment on last night IMO but I largely agree with the sentiment. It was hoped that Dembele would fill the void left by Modric or become our own version Yaya but he's basically turned out to be a more athletic Scott Parker.

Agree with this. I have said for some time that his best position is further forward and not part of the two CMs. If we dont sign another striker in the window, I would like to see him starting more regularly in this position. He is a much better foil for Kane than either Ade or Solly imo. I think he would get us more goals too if he started here and we could certainly do with other players contributing. He has an extremely powerful shot and needs to "weaponise" it!

I hope that Pochettino can help Dembele rediscover his eye for goal, as he hasn't found the back of the net for Spurs since since we beat Stoke in 2013 and has scored a total of just 2 goals in 84 domestic league and cup appearances as a Lilywhite.

Well said Steve, there was the glimmer of hope that he could be YaYa-esque, alas he is too 'treacle' that deep thus why his best benefit to us is in an advanced position, where his power and ball retention is very useful. I often wonder how great he would be if he would have a frame of the game in his head seconds before he receives the ball and push/play/pass accordingly...he has all the tools.

Well said Steve, there was the glimmer of hope that he could be YaYa-esque, alas he is too 'treacle' that deep thus why his best benefit to us is in an advanced position, where his power and ball retention is very useful. I often wonder how great he would be if he would have a frame of the game in his head seconds before he receives the ball and push/play/pass accordingly...he has all the tools.
Yup, rather like Townsend he appears to be blessed with the technical and physical attributes to be a great player but both seem to lack the footballing intelligence to realise their full potential. If only Dembele could occasionally be as direct as Townsend but he has a Heskey like reluctance to pull the trigger when around the box.

A bit of a harsh assessment on last night IMO but I largely agree with the sentiment. It was hoped that Dembele would fill the void left by Modric or become our own version Yaya but he's basically turned out to be a more athletic Scott Parker.

I just think the comparison between him and Mason is huge.

Dembele is a typical (bad old) Spurs player - looks all fancy, but actually achieves nothing. Mason on the other hand rarely stands out, but is immensely effective - driving the whole game.

Mason is Modric's heir. Dembele just reminds me of Dalmat or someone.

I love Dalmat, which probably also explains my love for Dembele too!

I thought he played well last night, think he offers so much more offensively when one of the three behind the striker.

Agreed, the lack of credit he gets is pretty astonishing.

In my opinion he was more imposing and more involved than Mason throughout the game (not that comparing proves anything)

I just think he was an absolute beast! So involved and SUFC simply couldn't take it off him.. While Paulinho didn't let us down, the difference in our control of the game when Dembele left the field was marked.

I love Dalmat, which probably also explains my love for Dembele too!

I thought he played well last night, think he offers so much more offensively when one of the three behind the striker.

What does he offer offensively? He beats 3 men but then ends up behind them and has to lay it off backwards or sideways. He breaks up all attacking emphasis and allows defences to get back and set.

He's a good defensive sub for AM if we want to stifle a game. But most of the time he blunts us with his ponderousness.

Back