• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Annual Tottenham Hotspur Striker Search: January 2015 Edition

Anyone else a bit worried that if WBA are in fact offering Berahino around (perhaps in part exchange deals for players they want) the speculations about his attitude might be accurate?

I get selling him amongst considerable interest if a big bid came in, but actually offering him around trying to get rid...

I have to say I'm a bit cautious about him, but I haven't watched him anywhere near enough to have a decent opinion.

Hmmm good points...I also found his behaviour when he scored those 4 well-taken goals (albeit vs non-league opposition) in the FA Cup on Saturday quite odd: almost like he didn't want to be playing and was in a slight huff.
Perhaps annoyed that if he was to get his move he would be cup-tied for the club he was joining?:-k

In fact, if WBA are indeed actively trying to sell him in January, why would they cup-tie him?

Maybe they realize that the expected fee is far bigger than his actual value and it might not reach these heights again when the initial hype dies down?

I love how some members degrade him because he is not the player they want but will big up players of the same age from abroad who has no experience in playing in a top league let alone The prem.

I love how some members degrade him because he is not the player they want but will big up players of the same age from abroad who has no experience in playing in a top league let alone The prem.

My thoughts are that at £20 million (and we could probably nick him for £18 million) Berahino represents a shrewd buy.

He is young, homegrown, has proven that he can score goals in this league, knows several of our players from his time with the England under 21s and his wages will not be prohibitive. Even if he didn't quite make the grade at Spurs over the next two to three years then I would've thought he would still command a transfer fee of at least £10 million so effectively he represents a £10 million gamble.

From what I have seen of him in the past couple of years he has all of the tools necessary to become very, very good indeed. He is quick, quite powerful, offers good movement, puts in decent workrate, has two good feet, nice balance, is a good finisher and he has a lot of confidence and self belief (which I think is essential for a CF). With the right attitude, desire and coaching I think he could easily become an Ian Wright type centre forward, never giving defenders a moments peace, pulling them around all over the place and getting involved in both the build up and finishing off chances.

Yes there is a question about attitude (the 4am drink driving offence) and also some rumours about poor time keeping (although I notice these rumours seem to have magically started just as it seemed WBA would be prepared to sell him.... their fans trying to justify losing him perhaps?). Perhaps him coming to a club where he doesn't know he is by far the most talented player, isn't guaranteed his place and will have to fight for it is exactly what he needs?

I remember when Sturridge went to Liverpool and there were the exact same question marks about his ability and attitude posted on this board. I think Berahino is at least as good as Sturridge was when Liverpool signed him. It is rare for good players to become available for a reasonable price in the January window, events have conspired for this to happen now and I hope we don't miss out.

My thoughts are that at £20 million (and we could probably nick him for £18 million) Berahino represents a shrewd buy.

He is young, homegrown, has proven that he can score goals in this league, knows several of our players from his time with the England under 21s and his wages will not be prohibitive. Even if he didn't quite make the grade at Spurs over the next two to three years then I would've thought he would still command a transfer fee of at least £10 million so effectively he represents a £10 million gamble.

From what I have seen of him in the past couple of years he has all of the tools necessary to become very, very good indeed. He is quick, quite powerful, offers good movement, puts in decent workrate, has two good feet, nice balance, is a good finisher and he has a lot of confidence and self belief (which I think is essential for a CF). With the right attitude, desire and coaching I think he could easily become an Ian Wright type centre forward, never giving defenders a moments peace, pulling them around all over the place and getting involved in both the build up and finishing off chances.

Yes there is a question about attitude (the 4am drink driving offence) and also some rumours about poor time keeping (although I notice these rumours seem to have magically started just as it seemed WBA would be prepared to sell him.... their fans trying to justify losing him perhaps?). Perhaps him coming to a club where he doesn't know he is by far the most talented player, isn't guaranteed his place and will have to fight for it is exactly what he needs?

I remember when Sturridge went to Liverpool and there were the exact same question marks about his ability and attitude posted on this board. I think Berahino is at least as good as Sturridge was when Liverpool signed him. It is rare for good players to become available for a reasonable price in the January window, events have conspired for this to happen now and I hope we don't miss out.

Could be a Sturridge, could very easily be a Darren Bent.

Could be a Sturridge, could very easily be a Darren Bent.
Perhaps.... But even with Darren Bent we ended up recouping most of the transfer fee that we paid for him. There always seem to be buyers within the Premier League for young, English goalscorers - even if they are not a huge success at their current club.

Also Bent wasn't a player who got involved at all in the build up play at Charlton. He was purely a goalscorer. Berahino is not that sort of player at all. He would be comfortable with the football we play. He is a gamble that is worth taking I think, both in terms of the likelyhood that he will succeed and the financial outlay.

For the record, I like Berahino and would like to see him here. I reckon he could easily do a job for us.

Here's a player I have seen very little of, but in the little I saw he truly impressed me with his technique and poise: Breel Embolo. Plays for Basel, has 11 goals in 22 matches, and is only 17! May not solve our immediate striker problem, but one for the future? And only 3.5 mil pounds.

I think he would easily do a better job than Soldado, but I'm hoping we can sign somebody that will be a longer term option.

The disconnect between him and our creative players towards the end just became massive.

Whatever you say about Soldado's golascoring, he's very much on the same wavelength as players like Eriksen and Kane, and he makes a strong contribution to our link-up play

The disconnect between him and our creative players towards the end just became massive.

Whatever you say about Soldado's golascoring, he's very much on the same wavelength as players like Eriksen and Kane, and he makes a strong contribution to our link-up play

He makes an average contribution to our link up play, misses chances that are created for him and sometimes even avoids putting himself in a position to miss (not trying to get on the end of balls across the six yard box). I'm not sure why you keep on defending him.... He has been an absolutely rubbish player for Spurs and the biggest waste of money we have ever made.

I would happily have Defoe in the Spurs team instead of Soldado. It's not that I think Defoe is the answer or even still a good player, he is just better than Soldado. I find it baffling that you don't want Berahino at Spurs but are happy with Soldado?

Last edited:
He makes an average contribution to our link up play, misses chances that are created for him and sometimes even avoids putting himself in a position to miss (not trying to get on the end of balls across the six yard box). I'm not sure why you keep on defending him.... He has been an absolutely rubbish player for Spurs and the biggest waste of money we have ever made.

I would happily have Defoe in the Spurs team instead of Soldado. It's not that I think Defoe is the answer or even still a good player, he is just better than Soldado. I find it baffling that you don't want Berahino at Spurs but are happy with Soldado?

Agreed. I would score more than Soldado.

Defoe was brilliant for us, but his form fell off a cliff at the end. Like BAE, I think this gets forgotten.

I agree with GB, Defoe might score a couple of goals here and there but his overall contribution to the team isn't going to match that of Kane or Soldado. People get a bit obsessed with goals imo.

Defoe was brilliant for us, but his form fell off a cliff at the end. Like BAE, I think this gets forgotten.

I agree with GB, Defoe might score a couple of goals here and there but his overall contribution to the team isn't going to match that of Kane or Soldado. People get a bit obsessed with goals imo.

Defoe was the ultimate flat track bully.
Could have done with that today.

The thing about being obsessed with goals is........you need them to win football matches

you only need 1, and it doesn't have to be scored by a striker, one from a winger or centre half is still worth 1 point

Hell of a lot easier to get the win if you can score more than one.

My point re Defoe would just be as another short term option.
Against Palace we struggled to break them down or ask different questions.
When that's happening, bring Defoe on and just let him pop off those 20 yarders, ask the opposition a different question.
Palace beat us yesterday by changing how they played 2nd half.
We lack options to change it up when it isn't working

Back