• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

wow ... Pato .. he really looked the business at one point ..

Khedira & Milner should find a home easy enough ..

I wouldnt mind either or both! Wages must be high considering their former employers.

Arsenal really should snaffle up Khedira.

He reminds me a lot of Dembele. Solid defensively, fairly mobile, runs with the ball rather than passes, and zero creativity/poor in the final third.

Villa fans actually want to sign Dembele as a like-for-like replacement for him.

This surprises me, Delph is nothing like Dembele in my opinion.

Dembele uses his power to hold people off, beats them at slow speed, turns and turns and lays it off eventually. You can rely on him to keep possession and add some presence.
Delph runs around a lot and goes lunging into challenges and passes much more readily and does a bit of everything like Milner but is master of none.
I'm not that keen on him... but for £3m or so we don't have much to lose I guess. I would far rather have Milner.

I've been very impressed by Winston Reid in the last few seasons.. Would seem very good business to bring him in now before he goes for free in the summer. He'd fit in nicely alongside JV and would give a good centre back combo

I hold Dembele in higher regard than most on here, but Id still say Delph is the better player - he has progressed nicely from a couple of years back and with Poch coaching him could easily get better....

I can't agree with you on that. Dembele's stock has fallen (and is on the rise again maybe) but Delph is not a superior player IMO. I think he's OK but nothing more. He does have a bit of a nasty streak in him which I kinda like, but he would be no upgrade on what we have except Paulinho. The eulogising of Delph's abilities in this thread is OTT from what I have seen and by his own fans too. He wants out of Villa obviously and they're not fussed really.

Does Poch particularly want Berahino, though? I'd have imagined a player like Ings (quieter character, more hard-working) would be more up his alley.

Where would you play that type of player in our system though?

The quick transitioning of Mason and Betnaleb from CM is SO important to us. We just need a 4th player like that (still hoping that Stambouli will become the 3rd).

The only role I could see of a player like Delph is as a late sub for Eriksen, to add some energy up the pitch late in the game.

Simple; Delph in, Mason out. Delph is miles ahead of Mason. Masons sudden impact in the team is more down to lack of alternatives (he does the job asked best of those we have) than his actual skill. He works hard and runs about, but in some games his passing has been awful. And we'd never won vs Chelsea with Mason on the pitch. Delph would be a far better option.

Last edited:
Simple; Delph in, Mason out. Delph is miles ahead of Mason. Masons sudden impact in the team is more down to lack of alternatives (he does the job asked best of those we have) than his actual skill. He works hard and runs about, but in some games his passing has been awful. And we'd never won vs Chelsea with Mason on the pitch. Delph would be a far better option.

No. Delph is no better than Mason, and isn't even a Spurs lad.

Seriously, VillaTalk forum members seem to regard him as a limited player with the potential to eventually become good enough for one of the top four, if he plays his cards right. Some of them aren't even that fussed by him leaving, hardly the sign of an irreplaceable footballer.

Mason has been here for sixteen years, is a surprisingly astute passer and his defensive game has improved as the season has worn on. He's a hard worker, good presser and passionate on the field. He is much, much more suited for us than Fabian Delph.

Does Poch particularly want Berahino, though? I'd have imagined a player like Ings (quieter character, more hard-working) would be more up his alley.
Ings is a decent player but has nowhere near as much quality as Berahino, the potential with him is huge. He has all the attributes required to be top class if he pushes on as he should.

Does Poch particularly want Berahino, though?

I think this deal belong to Levy, english striker, young, high potential and can make a good partnership with kane - as in england under 21-. It will be a kind of safe deal, if Levy manges to get him by around 15M, he already sold Bent for around that.

Ings is a decent player but has nowhere near as much quality as Berahino, the potential with him is huge. He has all the attributes required to be top class if he pushes on as he should.

Really? I admit I haven't seen a lot of him, so what makes him different from, say Ings? Greater technique, control, what? What about his work-rate (absolutely key in a Poch system)?

I think this deal belong to Levy, english striker, young, high potential and can make a good partnership with kane - as in england under 21-. It will be a kind of safe deal, if Levy manges to get him by around 15M, he already sold Bent for around that.

Yeah, this seems like something Levy would probably look at as being one of those steals of his. And you make a good point: if Kane and Berahino have an understanding at the U-21 level, then it might make more sense to bring him in given that link.

Really? I admit I haven't seen a lot of him, so what makes him different from, say Ings? Greater technique, control, what? What about his work-rate (absolutely key in a Poch system)?

Yeah, this seems like something Levy would probably look at as being one of those steals of his. And you make a good point: if Kane and Berahino have an understanding at the U-21 level, then it might make more sense to bring him in given that link.

I didn't think they played as a pair for under 21's? i thought it was either or?

I didn't think they played as a pair for under 21's?

Yes, not that much.

Even though there were very few occasions when they were both on the pitch , one of them played on the side in a 4-2-3-1 set up. Plus i did't see any partnership between two of them so far TBH.

Frankly speaking Berahino just reminds me a similar type player to Defoe .

No. Delph is no better than Mason, and isn't even a Spurs lad.

Seriously, VillaTalk forum members seem to regard him as a limited player with the potential to eventually become good enough for one of the top four, if he plays his cards right. Some of them aren't even that fussed by him leaving, hardly the sign of an irreplaceable footballer.

Mason has been here for sixteen years, is a surprisingly astute passer and his defensive game has improved as the season has worn on. He's a hard worker, good presser and passionate on the field. He is much, much more suited for us than Fabian Delph.

I wouldnt use forums as a way of judging players. For example if you read this forum Chadli up until a few months ago was average - Id back our talent scouts and coach to formulate a better opinion than any fan forum....

I wouldnt use forums as a way of judging players. For example if you read this forum Chadli up until a few months ago was average - Id back our talent scouts and coach to formulate a better opinion than any fan forum....
That's a fair point. Sometimes the opinions on message boards can be extreme, both ways. However even with that caveat the Villa fans opinions would be way more representative of the players true ability and consistency of performance than opinions on here. They will be watching him week in week out and not not just the odd snippet here and there as most on here would. I think the more reasoned opinions that I have read say that he has potential to be better, but despite being very energetic is rather wasteful in possession. He doesn't score or create much either so not a ringing endorsement.

In saying all that, at the price mentioned there is little risk and Levy could almost buy him and flip him on for profit come the summer.

We miss a striker who can take defenders on and pretty much scare the **** out of them. An Aguero type player is what we need but we cannot attract that calibre of player so Berahino is the next best option. He is quick, can take on a man, can score from distance and also looks intelligent in his movement. If we can ship out Ade and get this guy in, then its a no brainer.

IF that is true its a no-brainer. It is a very big If though.

The rumour was Townsend AND Lennon IIRC. That would leave us with only two WFs (Lamela and Chadli), so we'd then need to make 2 more signings to rebalance our squad (unless we promote Ceballos and Oduwa)

I genuinely think Townsend is a better prospect than Berahino (ignoring positions).

The rumour was Townsend AND Lennon IIRC. That would leave us with only two WFs (Lamela and Chadli), so we'd then need to make 2 more signings to rebalance our squad (unless we promote Ceballos and Oduwa)

I genuinely think Townsend is a better prospect than Berahino (ignoring positions).

Playing devils advocate, you can arguably replace wide players / wingers easier than a striker though (as we've found out the past few years). Therefore if Berahino is available I'd personally say go for it, we can then sign one new winger with pace and use erikson wide if needed.

However, I also think Townsend has great potential, the downside is he's terrible at the moment and prob won't get the run of first team football with us that he prob needs to improve.

Back