• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

SLR cameras

I too love nature photography, especially macro stuff. I was going to get a DSLR but realized that for hiking and nature strolls I really didn't want to be lugging a big camera and multiple lenses around. I ended up getting a Panasonic Lumix DMC LX5 and I am very happy with it. I need to learn a lot more about cameras before getting into a DSLR.

When I've been hiking around nature reserves or across downland I often see people with a whopping great dslr with a huge telescopic lens hung around their neck and a heavy rucksack full of equipment on their backs. They look so uncomfortable. My lumix isn't heavy and because I don't need all of the equipment I am in a position to climb through brambles or whatever if I see something or my usual trick on the downs is to slide down the slope because I've spotted a rare butterfly or something.
I think it depends on the wildife photography. If you are setting up around a wetland to photograph birds oon the water, then a dsr is fine, but where I do insect photography I actually walk miles and off the beaten track in search of butterfly colonies so lightweight is good.

Do what I do - have the SLR for most shooting, and a compact with good manual control for when you can't manage the bulk. My PowerShot S90 goes on all our European away days. ;) wouldn't dream of taking my EOS600D on those trips!

Do what I do - have the SLR for most shooting, and a compact with good manual control for when you can't manage the bulk. My PowerShot S90 goes on all our European away days. ;) wouldn't dream of taking my EOS600D on those trips!

Exactly what I do, I've got a Lumix point-and-shoot camera, the wifes camera we call it and then my camera is the Nikon D5100 that only comes out when I'm doing pet photography (a little side line of mine), when we go to somewhere that I'd want to take better photos or for family shots at home.

Last edited:
Trouble with those is that you can't change around the lenses and stuff so not sure I'd have as much fun to be honest. They are also quite expensive (although I presume they are quite a high end camera brand) but you can get Panasonic which are pretty much 95% the same for half the price.

Are you a photographer then? What else would you recommend?

Indeed you cannot change the lenses, but frankly, unless you're going to get into this deep, that should not dictate your choice if you simply want professional-quality photos. Personally, if you are looking to experiment and have fun with an SLR, i would recommend you get a Canon 5D or something like that second-hand. The sensor size is very important, yes, but equally, there is little point having an expensive body if you're going to buy cheap lenses. If you're looking to spend, spend on QUALITY lenses!

With regards to Panasonic/Lumix being the same as Leica, the D-Lux 5 and the LX5 are very very similar, but if you want to shoot using a high ISO, the 'noise' levels in the Leica are far more controlled and far better IMO. PLUS if you ever did want to sell it, your resale on a Leica is considerably higher.

I've enclosed an example of what the Leica d-lux 5 can do, and it can do a whole lot more than this too...L1070156.jpg

When I've been hiking around nature reserves or across downland I often see people with a whopping great dslr with a huge telescopic lens hung around their neck and a heavy rucksack full of equipment on their backs. They look so uncomfortable. My lumix isn't heavy and because I don't need all of the equipment I am in a position to climb through brambles or whatever if I see something or my usual trick on the downs is to slide down the slope because I've spotted a rare butterfly or something.
I think it depends on the wildife photography. If you are setting up around a wetland to photograph birds oon the water, then a dsr is fine, but where I do insect photography I actually walk miles and off the beaten track in search of butterfly colonies so lightweight is good.

Absolutely bang on.

Again (and I won't deny some snobbiness here) I would always pay the couple hundred extra and get the Leica d-Lux 5 as it does perform better when using a high ISO (which I tend to need more often than not)...of course, if they made the canon 70-200mm IS lens in a format which wasn't back-breaking, then what a lens to lug around along with an 85mm and another good wide-angle job, but in lieu of discomfort the lumix or D-Lux 5 is a winner...

Absolutely bang on.

Again (and I won't deny some snobbiness here) I would always pay the couple hundred extra and get the Leica d-Lux 5 as it does perform better when using a high ISO (which I tend to need more often than not)...of course, if they made the canon 70-200mm IS lens in a format which wasn't back-breaking, then what a lens to lug around along with an 85mm and another good wide-angle job, but in lieu of discomfort the lumix or D-Lux 5 is a winner...

I wrote to this photographer http://www.flickr.com/photos/puppy-eyes/sets/ on Flickr, asking for DSLR recommendations (just like you are doing in this forum).

And this is what she said:

Now I tell you about my camera. I do have Nikon DSLR but.... I don't use it and even my husband doesn't like it. You ask why? - because it is too heavy. We both have PANASONIC Lumix DCM ZS3 and PANASONIC Lumix DCM ZS7. These cameras are point&shoot with 300 mm zoom, Leica lens and macro feature (easy to learn). If you use manual settings there are very very close to achieve DSLR results. If you buy DSLR you have to learn really hard to understand what is with what and why. I have years and years of experience taking pictures and for me doesn't really matter which kind of camera I use, I still will get good results at the end. Of course, I wish I could know more but what I know now is enough for me.

You do not need a DSLR to get some really good photos.

Last edited:
Not an SLR but just purchased a Sony A5000L.

Been practicing a bit but what is the best dummies guide to photography (ISO, F-Stop, etc)...?

I need a new camera. This may sound silly, but I've never liked framing pictures using an LCD screen. Learnt and got used to one-eye-closed view finder. Somehow shutting everything else off helped frame images.

Are their any of these compact cameras with a view finder? I like the retro sheek look of some of them, the white one in the original posts and that Sony look very appealing.

I need a new camera. This may sound silly, but I've never liked framing pictures using an LCD screen. Learnt and got used to one-eye-closed view finder. Somehow shutting everything else off helped frame images.

Are their any of these compact cameras with a view finder? I like the retro sheek look of some of them, the white one in the original posts and that Sony look very appealing.
Seems to be a dying breed nowadays unfortunately. There are a few that have the option of an electronic viewfinder that mounts on the flash shoe. Never used one to see how good it is though.

I had to revert to my S90 recently as I somehow knackered my main SLR lens. First instinct was to put it up to my eye... until I realised it had no viewfinder!

Not an SLR but just purchased a Sony A5000L.

Been practicing a bit but what is the best dummies guide to photography (ISO, F-Stop, etc)...?

just play around with it, try different things and see what works

you don't have to do this at all, but normally when I get a new camera I'll start in auto and get used to framing shots with it first, then turn things back to manual as and when

I have an old Canon 400D and with all the lens upgrades over the years it still takes fantastic pics. If video capability is not an issue then I would look for a second hand body and get some decent lens add ons, a zoom, a macro and a portrait fixed focal length would do for starters, oh and a half decent flash. I use the Yongnuo YN565EX., its loads cheaper than the equivalent canon but does the job just as well.

There are a few.
I have a Fuji X10 which produces good results.
The thing with digital compacts is most of the view finders are not TTL ( through the lens) like the SLRs you have been used to.

As such, you don't the exact same view as the final image. So research the view finder - what is %age of frame coverage (this wasn't even 100% of most pro-sumer SLRs), does the viewfinder most with the zoom of the lens, does the lens encroach on the viewfinder at any point?

I brought my X10 with the intention of using the viewfinder, but has found composition far easier with the LCD screen.

just play around with it, try different things and see what works

you don't have to do this at all, but normally when I get a new camera I'll start in auto and get used to framing shots with it first, then turn things back to manual as and when

Yep, taking this route. Got myself a notepad and will take certain shots (macro, skin-tone, moving, etc) on different settings and figure it out from there. The A5000 has a 180 degrees LED display so it's pretty useful for trying on myself with the different setting, without boring everyone else haha).

Shamefully I studied photography in France (as part of my Erasmus exchange) but that was some 17 years ago and I can barely remember what I had for dinner last night so memory is an issue.

Once I get into it and have some spare cash, might invest in a high zoom lens for the Sony.

Back