• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Franco Baldini

So is Baldini responsible for recommending the players or closing the deals? Or both?

It would depend on the transfer I would imagine. My understanding was that he spent a lot of the summer of 2013 negotiating the terms of the sale of Bale to Madrid.

It would depend on the transfer I would imagine. My understanding was that he spent a lot of the summer of 2013 negotiating the terms of the sale of Bale to Madrid.

So he is the link between the club and agents of the player and the players club. Not a scout in the pure sense. An important distinction I feel.

The Telegraph claim it was Baldini's suggestion to hire Southampton's head of recruitment, Paul Mitchell.

Hotspur Related ‏@HotspurRelated

Franco Baldini is leaving Tottenham Hotspur according to Andre Villas-Boas. #THFC

Villas-Boas: "I ended up leaving by mutual agreement, not dismissal." #THFC

Villas-Boas: "I didn't support choice of director that has been sold other ambitions, causing me to have players without desired profile."

Villas-Boas: "I speak of Franco Baldini, who came from AS Roma and is now in a down position, exiting the club." #THFC

Franco Baldini is leaving Tottenham Hotspur according to Andre Villas-Boas. #THFC

Villas-Boas: "I didn't support choice of director that has been sold other ambitions, causing me to have players without desired profile."

Villas-Boas: "I speak of Franco Baldini, who came from AS Roma and is now in a down position, exiting the club." #THFC

wow would back up what I and others have said about the director of football system

I am not sure whether avb is a good manager or not, I found his style of play overly defensive. But what I do know for a cast iron fact is that he had enough by his last month with us and wanted out. For me that shows that Levy has to be far more careful when putting people into management positions, because if AVB did not want Baldini then Levy should have backed his manager regardless of what I or others thought of his style of play.

For us to work the head coach the guy who picks the team on a saturday(when we bloody play on saturdays) he has to be completely happy.

If true, you'd think Levy would have figured this stuff out ages ago. it's a good way to waste money and **** off your shareholders, after all.

wow would back up what I and others have said about the director of football system

I am not sure whether avb is a good manager or not, I found his style of play overly defensive. But what I do know for a cast iron fact is that he had enough by his last month with us and wanted out. For me that shows that Levy has to be far more careful when putting people into management positions, because if AVB did not want Baldini then Levy should have backed his manager regardless of what I or others thought of his style of play.

For us to work the head coach the guy who picks the team on a saturday(when we bloody play on saturdays) he has to be completely happy.

Baldini was specifically AVB's choice for DoF.

What AVB is saying here is that, having joined Spurs, Baldini was given a different brief to that which AVB believed he had been given. That may be true. Alternatively, it seems just as likely to me that AVB had unrealistic ideas as to what he could expect from Spurs.

Being a bit critical, especially after the made-up Blanc quotes last week, but AVB's English isn't broken like these 'quotes' are. It reads like someone pastiching a foreigner, not AVB.

AVB wanted Baldini - they'd been trying to work together for several years. AVB was begging Levy for him for a year before he was appointed. He tried to get Abramovich to bring him to Chelsea too, while Baldini tried to get Roma to appoint AVB

On time at Tottenham:

"Tottenham set a points and victories record in my first season, and missed out on the Champions League by one point and had a great run in the Europa League. In the second season, at the time I left we had more points than in the previous season. I ended up leaving by mutual agreement - it wasn't a sacking - because I gave full support to the football director Franco Baldini who meanwhile had other ambitions, meaning that I ended up with players that did not fit the profile I wanted.

"The chairman proposed a challenge to increase Tottenham's competitive level, but immediately Modric left and we didn't get any of the targets I had identified, such as João Moutinho, Willian, Óscar or Leandro Damião. These were promises that were not kept. I had a group of players I had not chosen. In two years I lost Van der Vaart, Modric, Bale, and all the promises made were unfulfilled. In any event I don't look at my time at Tottenham as a negative experience. It was an experience I needed to have."

Why should we believe him over the club? Here is Ferdinand saying that AVB knew about and approved all the transfers after Bale left: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/andre-villasboas-gave-franco-baldini-the-green-light-over-summer-transfers-claims-tottenham-coach-les-ferdinand-9015317.html

Who's lying? Probably not Ferdinand who only recently said his man-management skills consist of telling players if they play well, they might be tapped up by a bigger club.....

AVB says he wanted Moutinho, Willian, Oscar and Damiao. Sure, we all did. And the club fought tooth and nail (apparently) to bring them along. According to a lot of reports, Porto/agents screwed us on Moutinho just as the deal was getting close. We had Willian in a room ready to sign when Roman rang him up. Oscar was nearly ours as well until cheatski decided to outbid us by a mile. Damiao is probably the biggest question mark, but given that fact that he hasn't moved on and is somewhat of a forgotten name today, we probably dodged a bullet there.

It's very easy to put together a list of players and exclaim: "I want that one!", but we unfortunately aren't in a position to compete when one of the big sharks comes along and wants what we want.

This all just sounds like sour grapes to me. Is Levy and the club innocent? Far from it, but neither is AVB.

On time at Tottenham:

"Tottenham set a points and victories record in my first season, and missed out on the Champions League by one point and had a great run in the Europa League. In the second season, at the time I left we had more points than in the previous season. I ended up leaving by mutual agreement - it wasn't a sacking - because I gave full support to the football director Franco Baldini who meanwhile had other ambitions, meaning that I ended up with players that did not fit the profile I wanted.

"The chairman proposed a challenge to increase Tottenham's competitive level, but immediately Modric left and we didn't get any of the targets I had identified, such as João Moutinho, Willian, Óscar or Leandro Damião. These were promises that were not kept. I had a group of players I had not chosen. In two years I lost Van der Vaart, Modric, Bale, and all the promises made were unfulfilled. In any event I don't look at my time at Tottenham as a negative experience. It was an experience I needed to have."

Fair enough losing Bale and Modric but a bit rich saying he "lost" Van Der Vaart.

One thing is for sure though. We're left with nearly half a dozen players that no manager at this club ever really wanted. And spent a lot of money getting them. Someone has to take responsibility for that.

Why should we believe him over the club? Here is Ferdinand saying that AVB knew about and approved all the transfers after Bale left: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/andre-villasboas-gave-franco-baldini-the-green-light-over-summer-transfers-claims-tottenham-coach-les-ferdinand-9015317.html

Who's lying? Probably not Ferdinand who only recently said his man-management skills consist of telling players if they play well, they might be tapped up by a bigger club.....

AVB says he wanted Moutinho, Willian, Oscar and Damiao. Sure, we all did. And the club fought tooth and nail (apparently) to bring them along. According to a lot of reports, Porto/agents screwed us on Moutinho just as the deal was getting close. We had Willian in a room ready to sign when Roman rang him up. Oscar was nearly ours as well until cheatski decided to outbid us by a mile. Damiao is probably the biggest question mark, but given that fact that he hasn't moved on and is somewhat of a forgotten name today, we probably dodged a bullet there.

It's very easy to put together a list of players and exclaim: "I want that one!", but we unfortunately aren't in a position to compete when one of the big sharks comes along and wants what we want.

This all just sounds like sour grapes to me. Is Levy and the club innocent? Far from it, but neither is AVB.

Same as Rodgers. When things were going well at Liverpool he kept on saying he had the final say on transfers, now he's complaining about the transfer committee as if he has no part of it.

One thing is for sure though. We're left with nearly half a dozen players that no manager at this club ever really wanted. And spent a lot of money getting them. Someone has to take responsibility for that.

What club let's the coach be in charge of 100 of millions in transfers these days.
Arsenal and who else?

What club let's the coach be in charge of 100 of millions in transfers these days.
Arsenal and who else?

I'm not saying it should just be the manager. But the chairman-dof-manager have to be on the same page for it to work or it all goes tits up. And it did.

I'm still waiting for an explanation from the club for why most of the Bale money went up the wall. But I won't hold my breath.

I'm still waiting for an explanation from the club for why most of the Bale money went up the wall. But I won't hold my breath.

You'd be wise not to hold your breath. Have you ever heard any club give an explanation as to why certain transfers have not worked out?

Back