• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ex-managers: I'm pining for the past and cannot move on

Which Ex-Manager?

• Martin Jol

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Juande Ramos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harry Redknapp

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Andre Villas Boas

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Tim Sherwood

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters
Re: Sherwood would we be better off if he stayed?

We actually wanted him before he went to Porto (I think it was Pleat trying to bring him in) but the deal was complicated by the usual third party ownership and work permit issues.

Yeah I think I heard something like that a long time ago. I have no doubt that we would have managed to **** it up some way had we got him.
I think I'm in a negative spiral at the moment. :-k

Re: So, the big elephant in the room...

Harry talked himself out of the job. Plain and simple. His own lack of loyalty was his undoing and he had to go.

You don't think Levy should have given him a telling off (once the England job had gone, and not for wanting the England job, but for taking his eye off the Spurs ball) and a new contract (which Harry wanted) with a buy-out clause to prevent it happening again?

Re: Which Ex-Manager?

Sir Bill Nicholson

3265434.jpg

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating getting rid of Poch, I think he should be given time. Just interested to gauge who was the most popular after reading the recent opinions of each.

Has to be Bill Nicholson. That's the only answer. Unless it's in our lifetime.

Of the 5 in the poll, all proved themselves ultimately inept - that's why they were sacked.

- Jol motivation but no tactics

- Ramos tactics but no motivation

- Redknapp motivation but no tactics

- AVB tactics but no motivation

- Sherwood no motivation and no tactics

So the question is akin to - who would you want back: a) Nethercott, b) Cundy, c) Vega or d) Bunjecevic

Good question and tough to nail down. Jol era was an exciting and better one, but would any of the other managers have achieved 4th place twice with those players.

Of the 5 in the poll, all proved themselves ultimately inept - that's why they were sacked.

- Jol motivation but no tactics

- Ramos tactics but no motivation

- Redknapp motivation but no tactics

- AVB tactics but no motivation

- Sherwood no motivation and no tactics

So the question is akin to - who would you want back: a) Nethercott, b) Cundy, c) Vega or d) Bunjecevic

Sorry GB but Redknapp not possessing any tactical nous is such a myth.....

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating getting rid of Poch, I think he should be given time. Just interested to gauge who was the most popular after reading the recent opinions of each.

I'm not sure that who was the most popular directly equates to which one would you have back.

I don't think I'd necessarily want any of them back. However, Martin Jol was my favourite Spurs manager of all time, and I'll always believe that sacking him when we did was wrong. That doesn't mean I'd have him back now, it means that we shouldn't have got rid of him then.

I'm not sure that who was the most popular directly equates to which one would you have back.

I don't think I'd necessarily want any of them back. However, Martin Jol was my favourite Spurs manager of all time, and I'll always believe that sacking him when we did was wrong. That doesn't mean I'd have him back now, it means that we shouldn't have got rid of him then.

This, popularity = Jol
Impact = Redknapp

I wouldn't pine after any of our former managers. It looks bad on paper that so many have left the club in a short period of time but can we really disagree with any of the sackings?

Jol - Gutted when he left but looked to be taking us backwards. The way the club handled it was appalling, but him leaving his job wasn't that controversial or undeserved a decision

Ramos - Clearly a terrible fit for the club, undoubtedly deserved

Redknapp - Many now have rose-tinted glasses with regards to Harry, but we had absolutely hit a ceiling under him. Consistently finished seasons poorly, especially in his final season. Also I would have had severe doubts as to how he would handled the loss of Modric and definitely wouldn't trust him with a big budget when we re-invested heavily. That's not even to mention his conduct with regards to the England job and gobbing off in the press. Deserved in my view

AVB - By all accounts AVB forced the decision for him to leave, things were pretty bleak under him too, save Bale.

Sherwood - Interim in everything but official title. Could have remained in the job if he wasn't so arrogant and abrasive but keeping him would have been a gigantic gamble.

We hit a plateau under Redknapp and we're trying to get back up there again. We had a period of sustained progression and success and that's extremely difficult to maintain. Heavy re-investment and constant transition definitely hasn't helped but I reckon we can hit those heights again. The core of the squad from '2points8games' went on to our most successful modern period. What's to say that this squad, or at least a proportion of it can't repeat the acheivements of Redknapp.

Time, patience and a little faith is required, difficult as it is at the moment, but I'm certainly not pining for any of our past managers.

Don't bother mate, I've tried saying the same thing on here many times and am constantly ignored.

A bloke coming towards the end of his career sees an opportunity of his dream job and people are aghast that he had the temerity to show interest.

You must have missed the many times this point was answered then : i don't think anyone begrudged him wanting the England job, i certainly didn't. What people begrudged was the nose dive in form which immediately followed the rumors - people on both sides of the fence seem to be in agreement that no England job available = no loss of form and we then go on to comfortably finish 3rd. You only have to read about him approaching potential coaches for when he got the england job to realise he wasn't focused enough on his current job - that is what irks people. Had he seen out the season in a professional manner i think most would have patted him on the back and wished him well (had he got the job)

Redknapp would have been a great England manager imv, fwiw

You must have missed the many times this point was answered then : i don't think anyone begrudged him wanting the England job, i certainly didn't. What people begrudged was the nose dive in form which immediately followed the rumors - people on both sides of the fence seem to be in agreement that no England job available = no loss of form and we then go on to comfortably finish 3rd. You only have to read about him approaching potential coaches for when he got the england job to realise he wasn't focused enough on his current job - that is what irks people. Had he seen out the season in a professional manner i think most would have patted him on the back and wished him well (had he got the job)
Demanding a new contract the moment Hodgson was appointed rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way too.

What...just because his country may have wanted him to manage in the World Cup,what manager wouldn't have been interested.....not as if Man Ure were tapping him up or Chelski.

Don't bother mate, I've tried saying the same thing on here many times and am constantly ignored.

A bloke coming towards the end of his career sees an opportunity of his dream job and people are aghast that he had the temerity to show interest.

You don't think Levy should have given him a telling off (once the England job had gone, and not for wanting the England job, but for taking his eye off the Spurs ball) and a new contract (which Harry wanted) with a buy-out clause to prevent it happening again?

I think things were a lot more complicated behind the scenes. There's a difference between showing interest and openly flirting. With the court case prior to that and the way he conducted himself in public, no, I don't think Levy could've handled things differently.

Yes, I can understand Harry wanting the England job and in all fairness he probably deserved it. But at the same time, we deserved more from him. Since the 5-0 trashing of Saudi Sportswashing Machine at home in February (3 days earlier Harry's court case was settled), we picked up 18 points out of a possible 39, eventually costing us a place in the Champions League. During that time the England rumours were in overdrive.

The club stood by Harry during his court case but when the England rumours started flying, he handled things poorly. Always expressing interest but never really saying he wanted the job. Who knows what went on behind the scenes, but our form crashed and rumours circled that Harry's head had been turned. Admittedly, only rumours, but our league form doesn't lie.

Maybe Levy also got tired of our usual late season slump. The same thing happened the season before. 18 points out of a possible 39 in our last 13 games (Not that that's a valid measurement of any kind, could've been 15 or 12 games for that matter...).

For me Harry was a good manager. We played brilliant football at times under him and were in and around the Champions League. He had his limitations and maybe (a BIG maybe) never would've been able to take us further. At times I miss having him as manager, but in the end I think this was the only possible solution when you figure in everything that went on during those final months of his last season.

Back