• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ex-managers: I'm pining for the past and cannot move on

Which Ex-Manager?

• Martin Jol

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Juande Ramos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harry Redknapp

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Andre Villas Boas

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Tim Sherwood

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters
Re: Bring Back AVB

We did end up 4-3-3 against City when he brought Huddlestone on but i don't remember us playing 4-3-3 against Chelski.

We did end up 4-3-3 against City when he brought Huddlestone on but i don't remember us playing 4-3-3 against Chelski.

At Chelski, i'm sure we started with a back four, then Thudd, Parker and Holtby in Mdifield, and the Ade in the middle flanked by Lennon and Bale as a three-pronged attack

Tbf, GB said he started this thread as a reactionary point, just like the Sherwood one was started as well.

Fair enough :lol:

Re: So, the big elephant in the room...

Of course sacking harry was a mistake, look where we are now and where were then, anyone who says different is either called Daniel, was totally sucked in by money ball (even though it has never proven a success in football) or in complete denial (sticking to their guns even though they are out of bullets).

Sacking him was a huge **** up, not even sure if there is a debate to be had there. The debate is around whether sacking Sherwood was a **** up as well.

So, the big elephant in the room...

Lamela and Ericksen were also supposed to be World class prospects... Lamela also was (and still is) our joint record transfer.... Have either of those turned out to be World class? After all it's just natural that these players progress isn't it?

Eriksen and Lamela are now both 22, Modric was 23 when we signed him - lets revisit this point in a couple of years when it's a fair comparisson.

Nah he'll be a success in time imo but this season is a total write off.

I hope he will be a success, because I really don't care who our manager is long as we play good football and get results.

But your quite a pragmatic poster, so have to ask what have you seen that makes you think that?

I've merged the Redknapp, AVB and Sherwood threads. We're repeating old ground and arguments here. So we might as well keep it to one thread.

FFS seriously? Why? I don't see the need to merge at all?

My thread wasn't intended as a 'pining for the past', it was more a question of considering where the club is now and how we're performing was it a mistake to get rid of Redknapp? IE: Are we in the mess we're in now due to Redknapp being sacked? Would we be in this state if Redknapp hadn't been sacked?

I thought each of the threads were bringing up some great conversations, now it's just a mish-mash mess.

Absolutely no need.

My thread wasn't intended as a 'pining for the past', it was more a question of considering where the club is now and how we're performing was it a mistake to get rid of Redknapp? IE: Are we in the mess we're in now due to Redknapp being sacked? Would we be in this state if Redknapp hadn't been sacked?

I thought each of the threads were bringing up some great conversations, now it's just a mish-mash mess.

Absolutely no need.

So it was no differnet to the threads asking "if we still had Sherwood would we be doing better" or the one saying "we shouldn't have sacked AVB".

I agree with the merging as we need to move on...

So it was no differnet to the threads asking "if we still had Sherwood would we be doing better" or the one saying "we shouldn't have sacked AVB".

I agree with the merging as we need to move on...
We've also got separate threads on each of them over on general.

Of course sacking harry was a mistake, look where we are now and where were then, anyone who says different is either called Daniel, was totally sucked in by money ball (even though it has never proven a success in football) or in complete denial (sticking to their guns even though they are out of bullets).

Sacking him was a huge **** up, not even sure if there is a debate to be had there. The debate is around whether sacking Sherwood was a **** up as well.

My name isn't Daniel, I don't think moneyball really works in football and isn't denial just a river over in Egypt somewhere?

Harry talked himself out of the job. Plain and simple. His own lack of loyalty was his undoing and he had to go.

Absolutely no need.
The title was meant to be tongue in cheek rather than having a go at anyone's threas

Re: Sherwood would we be better off if he stayed?

Indeed;do you really think we would have gone to West Ham and won? With 10 men??
Fat Sam methods were too much for Tim imo. Imagine the atmosphere after that defeat.
Then the QPR game; a toss-up as to whether we would have won it the way we did. I'm not even going to think about the Liverpool match...

We would likely have started on a negative slope and after the previous season I could see it going downhill rapidly; like Ramos, Hoddle and Jol (in their last seasons). Often the negativity from the previous season spills over if there is not clean (or relatively clean) break; be that a new manager or new injection of players on needed positions.

I'd fear that Sherwood wouldn't have developed a plan B and we'd be counter-attacked all the way to the bottom 5 by now...

This looks like a rewriting of history.... We actually ended the previous season on a reasonably high note.

I'm not sure whether or not we would've beaten West Ham (we were lucky to do so on the opening day from what I remember) but I think we would've p!ssed all over QPR and then West Brom and Saudi Sportswashing Machine too and probably also Sunderland. One of the things that Sherwood generally managed to do was get us winning against the teams we should be beating.

I see you are talking about plan Bs.... Currently it seems that we need to sort ourselves out a plan A - as rather than us being 'counter-attacked all the way to the bottom 5' we are instead currently being "beaten all the way to the bottom 5 by lower to midtable teams coming to WHL and simply finding acres or space in front of our centre halves or behind our fullbacks"

My name isn't Daniel, I don't think moneyball really works in football and isn't denial just a river over in Egypt somewhere?

Harry talked himself out of the job. Plain and simple. His own lack of loyalty was his undoing and he had to go.

What...just because his country may have wanted him to manage in the World Cup,what manager wouldn't have been interested.....not as if Man Ure were tapping him up or Chelski.

Re: Sherwood would we be better off if he stayed?

The first time time I saw Falcao play, early in his Porto career, I was on this board (or a previous incarnation) screaming or at least typing in capital letters that we should sign him. But did anyone listen? I don't know but we didn't sign him, so I'm guessing no!!! And now look at you all.
I should be a scout. Does it pay well??

We actually wanted him before he went to Porto (I think it was Pleat trying to bring him in) but the deal was complicated by the usual third party ownership and work permit issues.

What...just because his country may have wanted him to manage in the World Cup,what manager wouldn't have been interested.....not as if Man Ure were tapping him up or Chelski.

Don't bother mate, I've tried saying the same thing on here many times and am constantly ignored.

A bloke coming towards the end of his career sees an opportunity of his dream job and people are aghast that he had the temerity to show interest.

Eriksen and Lamela are now both 22, Modric was 23 when we signed him - lets revisit this point in a couple of years when it's a fair comparisson.

And there were so many questions about Modric being too light-weight and Bale was a jinx who was almost sent out on loan.

Players develop. Some are precocious (e.g. Rooney) and some develop later, especially in more technical positions. Many players with talent and potential don't develop. I think the proper development of a player requires dedication from the player and finding his right environment, which is partly the manager and partly working well with team-mates. Both Bale and Modric were players with great potential but they were at Spurs during their formative years and I think the environment at the club (including Harry and SVB, as well as team-mates) was an important part of them becoming the players they did. Likewise, sadly to say, they probably needed to move to Real to become great players, as they got to work with a higher level of team-mate. However, two of the current starters for Real are players who reached the necessary level with us, so I think the system we had had to be working.

When I look at our squad now I see much of a muchness. Plenty of decent players who could be part of a very good team if we had a couple of stars (the Modrics and Bales). Some, particularly Eriksen and Lamela, are young enough that they could be the players to raise their game and raise the level of the whole team. The other thing we seem to be missing is partnerships. When I look at the CB pairing, the central midfield, the flanks and the striking unit, I don't see any partnerships that look promising, the type of pairings that become better than the sum of their parts. I see a lot of individuals and none are excelling, none making their team-mates play better.

While I think it is still too early to judge Poch, it is a little disappointing that we haven't seem some partnerships begin to develop. I think it would be better to mix the league and europa teams a bit more to see if new partnerships can gel. Perhaps we just need a bit of luck to find the right mix, like when injuries forced Modric to the centre and Bale to a more forward role.

Back