• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ex-managers: I'm pining for the past and cannot move on

Which Ex-Manager?

• Martin Jol

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Juande Ramos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harry Redknapp

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Andre Villas Boas

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Tim Sherwood

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters

Mulletperm

Milija Aleksic
Was Levy right in sacking Redknapp? We've progressively declined in terms of performances since then, so is the current predicament down to Levy kicking Harry out? Yes, we've obviously lost fantastic players, but I strongly feel that we're missing that 'man manager' skill Redknapp had. Something I think a lot of our players need as they appear to be fairly weak mentally.

Last edited:
Re: So, the big elephant in the room...

YES!

edit: Your post confuseth me. Poll ask if it was right, you ask if it was wrong.

nope, losing his successor was the mistake

I don't mean the point at which we sacked him, I mean not giving him the right support at the right time

Yes. Redknapp seemed to be able to overcome some of the systemic issues we face as a club with his man management capabilities. But hindsight is wonderful I guess. Bigger issue for me is some of the more recent decisions; like a truly woeful transfer policy which means we have ended up with a starting line up like today.

Redknapp gave us the best days we are ever likely to know again until we are all old and grey.

We just did'nt realise it at the time.

And this is what we get for thinking we deserved better. We should hang our heads in shame.

No. No amount of man management is going to turn this bunch of spineless cretins into a coherent side. So no, it wasn't a mistake sacking Redknapp. It was a mistake on our part, however, to believe that the managers that came after him would be backed to a greater degree than Redknapp was: now, we have a team full of Sahas and Nelsens, and despite his sacking being the right decision, I can't help but feel that Redknapp wouldn't have stood for all his best players being sold out from under him and being replaced with mediocre value signings he didn't want or ask for, and that this played a part in his dismissal.

Redknapp had his critics but he had ambition genuinely wanted to push the club forward and win things. Talked of signing big players that was enough for Levy to give him the boot. Don't understand why fans all of a sudden ask questions after we lose a game what else were you expecting this season? Possibly out worst squad in 20 years expect more results like this this season and it'll get worst and worst while that greedy wrongun levy is at the helm. It's ok tho apparently he's building a mythical stadium.

Its not an Elephant in the room. Just the past. It was clearly an odd decision at the time - to sack someone who'd brought relative successes, and who'd got the team playing good football. Many couldn't see that for some reason. Or just didn't like HR.

I think HRs biggest regret with us was not signing Suarez. We had an opening but were not too keen. Modric, Bale, Suarez and we'd have had a core of an exceptional team.

Yes, HR had the best mix of players of any of the other managers and achieved what he should have. But like bale, Modric, berba and many others he wanted to leave. It fell through so Spurs ineffect where second choice. Not acceptable.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Yes and no .. never as simple as people like to make it out

- Did Redknapp give us the best football we had seen in 20 odd years? = yes
- Did Redknapp greatly disrespect the club and damage what should have been our best finish ever in PL, a chance to put pressure on our rivals and establish ourselves as CL regulars due to selfish/personal goals? = yes

Should we have kept him = possibly
Should we have learned the value of experience in this league = absolutely

The big issue is believing managers are like players, i.e. young/promising can become WC in a season or two.

AVB/TS/Poch have all looked out of their league, because they have been, too inexperienced for the job.

No. No amount of man management is going to turn this bunch of spineless cretins into a coherent side. So no, it wasn't a mistake sacking Redknapp. It was a mistake on our part, however, to believe that the managers that came after him would be backed to a greater degree than Redknapp was: now, we have a team full of Sahas and Nelsens, and despite his sacking being the right decision, I can't help but feel that Redknapp wouldn't have stood for all his best players being sold out from under him and being replaced with mediocre value signings he didn't want or ask for, and that this played a part in his dismissal.

Exactly!!! Absolute tickle my balls with a feather. AVB did his first ever interview as spurs manager and had to tell the media negotiations for the sale of modric were ongoing. Redknapp wouldn't of out up with that.

Exactly!!! Absolute tickle my balls with a feather. AVB did his first ever interview as spurs manager and had to tell the media negotiations for the sale of modric were ongoing. Redknapp wouldn't of out up with that.

The same Redknapp that suggested we should sell Modric the previous season?

Yes - but the decisions since have been questionable

The same redknapp who said I need to sign quality players to prove to modric we're going forward or else we may as well sell him. Yeah that redknapp there. The same redknapp who said publically in December 2011 about signing quality proven players to push on after an excellent start and was given Saha and Ryan Nelsen.

Then it's the same Redknapp who'd already blown 10s of millions on players like Defoe, Keane, Kaboul, Crouch, Parker and loads more. We'd never get back anything like what we paid, so how are we going to replace them a couple of years later when their legs start to go and we still haven't finished paying for them? Redknapp received immense backing in the beginning to sort out our squad. The problem with his management style is that you have to repeat that process every season to remain competitive, signing seasoned pros on high wages to wring two or three seasons out of them, and that is impossible for us to do.

Well, if keeping Redknapp meant keeping Modric, RvdV and Bale and a miracle cure for Ledley then I'd say yes, it was a huge mistake to sack him.

If the manager, fresh from signing a new agent following a late season collapse when he an eye on a different job, was demanding a new long-term contract with guarantees on transfer policy, while we were going to lose all these players anyway, then the answer has to be no.

Yes and no .. never as simple as people like to make it out

- Did Redknapp give us the best football we had seen in 20 odd years? = yes
- Did Redknapp greatly disrespect the club and damage what should have been our best finish ever in PL, a chance to put pressure on our rivals and establish ourselves as CL regulars due to selfish/personal goals? = yes

Should we have kept him = possibly
Should we have learned the value of experience in this league = absolutely

The big issue is believing managers are like players, i.e. young/promising can become WC in a season or two.

AVB/TS/Poch have all looked out of their league, because they have been, too inexperienced for the job.

Very good points.

it would definitely have been interesting to see how Redknapp couldve coped without Modric and King. Would we have signed Lloris? Would we have had the likes of Bale turn into a world class star or that Dembele/Sandro partnership that dealt us so well early on? That season was always going to be a tough one.

Back