• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Barack Obama good president or not?

Isn't the problem that the democrats didn't have enough seats in the Senate and the republicans tried to block every single initiative he tried to introduce? Eg the US government shutting down when they could not agree a budget. Could he realistically achieve anything whilst practically having to achieve a compromise with the macaronic tea party?
Yes he could. Presidents have had that situation before - many commentators seem to think that he's simply not a good enough negotiator. Either that or too stubborn to deal.

Isn't the problem that the democrats didn't have enough seats in the Senate and the republicans tried to block every single initiative he tried to introduce? Eg the US government shutting down when they could not agree a budget. Could he realistically achieve anything whilst practically having to achieve a compromise with the macaronic tea party?

The Democrats controlled the Senate, House and White House for the first two years of his presidency, with solid majorities in both houses of congress. He spent that time on Obamacare, much to the anger of the Republicans, and they've made him pay for it since.

The 63 seat swing from Democrat to Republican in 2010 was the biggest swing in over 60 years. I'm hardly a Republican, but it's pretty clear that the American electorate was unhappy with the Democrats first two years in office and Obamacare was no small part of that.

Sure you can blame the Republicans for tying Obamas hands, but he had a free run for two years and got his ass kicked in the mid term congress elections based on the results.

Like most politicians he has totally failed to live up to expectations and basically achieved very little. The economy has improved somewhat for the middles classes and Obamacare has been good for some and not so great for others.

I am far from a republican, but have found his time as president to be very disappointing.

I view him as an American Tony Blair really. So much hope, so little change.

If I were an American I think I would vote Democrat. But this guy who was meant to be the new Kennedy as really not lived up to that. Apparently spends even more time on the golf course then George W did.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...23/Barack-Obama-the-end-of-a-love-affair.html

Kennedy never had the chance to fail like other Presidents as he was assassinated during his tenure. It's a strange thing for Obama, in the space of 3 (perhaps 4) years he went from Nobel Peace Prize winner to attempting to start a war.

Kennedy never had the chance to fail like other Presidents as he was assassinated during his tenure. It's a strange thing for Obama, in the space of 3 (perhaps 4) years he went from Nobel Peace Prize winner to attempting to start a war.
You can't blame him for the peak - awarding him the Nobel Prize was ridiculous but not his fault.

He hasn't messed anything up on a W-like scale, that's about the best I can give him. If he had been the President during a time of prosperity and peace, he would have been a much-better leader. However, he was elected when the US and the world needed someone strong to confront the main issues of his time (inequality and the economy on the domestic front, and Muslim extremism and climate change on the international agenda) and he has frittered around the edges rather than facing the challenge head on. The fact that the Republicans and their Fox News cronies would debate the fact that the sky is blue if Obama should mention it hasn't made his life easier, but the country and the rest of the world is in a better place now than it was during the end of the W-era for certain. It would be nice if the President had a blueprint for where he plans on taking us next though...

I think you have to compare him to the alternatives... imagine if someone polar opposite to him had won the last election and where we might be

He has achieved a lot less than advertised, but he hasn't massively fcked everything up every which way, which somebody else may have :D

Nowhere near as good as the democrats thought he would be be and at the same time nowhere near as bad as (some of) the republicans thought he would be.

Agree with the "meh" description. The scary thing is that "meh" is probably as good as it's going to get in an openly corrupt system with one more realistic voting option than in a one party state.

He left a country so angry they voted in a nutter, guess he was a bad one then.

That country was so thirsty for "hope and change" that, even with all their race issues, they voted in the black guy with the muslim sounding name -- Barack Hussein Obama. What he delivered was pretty much "more of the same" with a sprinkling of Romney Care.

As soon as the next "change" candidate came along (the game show host with the candyfloss hair) they voted him in.

Great PR man, played up the the first black President and how to be popular with speeches and video clips. But the US was in a state when he left office, worse racist tensions ever, gun crime getting worse and hardly in the peak of financial health.

Nice guy, great for the cover of GQ but pants POTUS

Great PR man, played up the the first black President and how to be popular with speeches and video clips. But the US was in a state when he left office, worse racist tensions ever, gun crime getting worse and hardly in the peak of financial health.

Nice guy, great for the cover of GQ but pants POTUS
The new guy is much better.

Back