• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

League matches to be played abroad?

it's a funny one, I don't think it would work, yet I go to all the NFL london games and I think they do work

I think the 39th game thing is dead - this would be a round of normal fixtures being played abroad I think.

it's a funny one, I don't think it would work, yet I go to all the NFL london games and I think they do work

Completely different scenarios surely, football is a sport played worldwide and taking our fixtures abroad would be stepping on other peoples toes as it where. American Football on the other hand is a sport hardly played outside that country so have no worry of stepping on others toes.

Completely different scenarios surely, football is a sport played worldwide and taking our fixtures abroad would be stepping on other peoples toes as it where. American Football on the other hand is a sport hardly played outside that country so have no worry of stepping on others toes.

The opposite is true.
Games will be played in developing markets ( Asia,usa etc) and local clubs are likely to welcome the increased interest in the sport.
Its not competition as it's a one round of gameseach season.

Wholey against the idea.
Although, with the PL as big as it now is,maybe some kind of incentive could be put in place to attract tourists to visit and see a game,boasting the local economy at the same time

Say they were to play one week of the 38 fixtures abroad, surely it is a disadvantage to which team is meant to be playing at home that week? Also, fans with season tickets are losing money as one of the 19 games is taken away from them. West Brom vs Stoke, for example, is hardly going to attract the same crowd Man United vs Chelsea would? What would be the point in traipsing half way across the world for a half empty stadium?

The clubs and the Premier League are going to earn a lot of money should this happen. No fan in their right mind (in this country) will be wanting this to got through, but ultimately money talks in football.

The big difference is the PL plays a balanced league, with everyone playing everyone else home and away. The NFL has mixed schedules with unbalanced out of division games and then the playoffs. One team playing in London is no more unfair than one playing the superbowl winners instead of the draft winner.

Playing one of the scheduled games on neutral ground still unbalances the schedule as someone gets less home games. Playing two (one home, one away) would be slightly fairer but still against the underlying principle of a league competition. We wouldn't be happy having the NLD in Shanghai instead of at WHL while a competitor only lost a home game against a relegation side.

It's only a matter of time until someone proposes playoffs to decide the title. An alternative idea would be to have play-offs for the 3rd and 4th CL spot. I don't think it a good idea but it is not so fundamentally against the league principle, which never included a prize for 4th.

Just how would they work out the logistics i.e. who plays who? We'd probably end up playing Chelsea or Emirates Marketing Project again.

Yes, it's a tough break for the fans, but the top teams are aspiring to 9 or 10 home games, so it's not 8 for everyone.

They should just bring in a system where if a team wanted to play one of their home games abroad they can apply to their opponent and to the league for permission for that one-off game.

The opponent will be able to veto it if it doesn't fit in with their schedule/publicity etc.

The home club would lose revenue. How would playing the game in a stadium someone else owned benefit them?

Arsenal get around 2m from each home game. How could they possibly make more money playing a game in the states instead?
Both teams would have to get at least 3m each to agree to it. How are they gonna sell out an american 60k stadium with 100 quid a pop tickets to make up these fees?

People say that a Swansea v Stoke game or a Burnley v Leicester game won't get the same exposure as a top four game,because they aren't big enough but in the way that's whats going to happen in ten years time.........its a small step once the italian and spanish sides get involved because they're going to do it as well.......is that all the top sides will get together in Europe and have a pan worlwide league or champions league.

Don't see the benefit in it at all.

How is the 39th game decided from an opponent point of view?

As I remember the proposal last time it was major (I was only 14 or 15 so may have forgotton certain parts) the top 5 (from the season before) CAN NOT be drawn against one another. The rest is fair game. You'll be drawn into a certain city along with another Premier League side.

So basically it would strengthen the dominance of the top four even more. And you just know, you just f***ing know, that Spurs would end up missing out on Champions League because of a match where we have been drawn against Arsenal, Chelsea, City or United.

Don't see what the point in this being brought up anyway is. Everyone knows it's the inevitable European Super Leagues job to put the final nail in the coffin of football.

EDIT

People say that a Swansea v Stoke game or a Burnley v Leicester game won't get the same exposure as a top four game,because they aren't big enough but in the way that's whats going to happen in ten years time.........its a small step once the italian and spanish sides get involved because they're going to do it as well.......is that all the top sides will get together in Europe and have a pan worlwide league or champions league.

Don't see the benefit in it at all.

Beat me too it. We'll be pining for the days of games on British soil every week and when men such as Gary Doherty could make a living as a top flight footballer.

Last edited:
Back