• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

I'm enjoying his assists at the opposition end but troubled by his assists at our end. I also saw him beat Bentley's World Ball Trapping record last week when he managed to trap a ball about 40 yards. He does have obvious talent and he can develop into a better player over time. He puts himself about a bit, a bit too Scrappy Doo for my liking and he is rash in our final third.

Apart from that horrible and perhaps unlucky tackle that set up the Scum it was a shame when he took on the whole team but came away with nothing near the end. By all means have a go but choose your moment and remember that you'll look a qant if you give the ball away being a show pony. Make the pass, keep posession, use up the clock. He sold the dummy well before sliding it through to Chadders.

I remember how long we waited for Bale to emerge fully and I'm hoping history will repeat itself, as I'm sure Levy is...

I'm enjoying his assists at the opposition end but troubled by his assists at our end. I also saw him beat Bentley's World Ball Trapping record last week when he managed to trap a ball about 40 yards. He does have obvious talent and he can develop into a better player over time. He puts himself about a bit, a bit too Scrappy Doo for my liking and he is rash in our final third.

Apart from that horrible and perhaps unlucky tackle that set up the Scum it was a shame when he took on the whole team but came away with nothing near the end. By all means have a go but choose your moment and remember that you'll look a qant if you give the ball away being a show pony. Make the pass, keep posession, use up the clock. He sold the dummy well before sliding it through to Chadders.

Some harsh criticism there, some may be warranted, some def not.
I don't see him seeking out players to take on, they are there and usually because no other spurs player is making runs or creating angles ( like chadli did for his goal) Lamella is faced with 3 or 4 opposing defenders to beat. Ericksen and Ade are way to static at the moment for my liking.

As for a bad clearance, a high looping ball over his shoulder i think it's graham in the extreme to criticise. Are you on the kaboul thread criticising him for not cutting out the trundled cross that led to goal? Surely we should expect more from our CB and captain at that?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Some harsh criticism there, some may be warranted, some def not.
I don't see him seeking out players to take on, they are there and usually because no other spurs player is making runs or creating angles ( like chadli did for his goal) Lamella is faced with 3 or 4 opposing defenders to beat. Ericksen and Ade are way to static at the moment for my liking.

As for a bad clearance, a high looping ball over his shoulder i think it's graham in the extreme to criticise. Are you on the kaboul thread criticising him for not cutting out the trundled cross that led to goal? Surely we should expect more from our CB and captain at that?

I know not aimed at my post but ill intrude by saying I think you can definitely criticise Lamela for his poor shocking clearance. Im sorry but a pro footballer should be able to clear a ball with his wrong foot. Fine if he cant shoot accurately but in that position in the area - anywhere will do mindset has to set in - and in his case his left foot was totally the wrong option.

No problem DHSF, if that's your honest opinion then great (not saying that it isn't Dorothy's honest opinion either).
I've given mine and hope that you can see some merit in it. To criticise Lamella for making a hash if a very awkward clearance fair enough, but to not then do the same for kaboul with a routine one that led DIRECTLY to the goal is in my view unfair.
But Stop! Hammer time isn't.

No problem DHSF, if that's your honest opinion then great (not saying that it isn't Dorothy's honest opinion either).
I've given mine and hope that you can see some merit in it. To criticise Lamella for making a hash if a very awkward clearance fair enough, but to not then do the same for kaboul with a routine one that led DIRECTLY to the goal is in my view unfair.
But Stop! Hammer time isn't.

I agree with your post, there were so many mistakes with that goal it was untrue and raised those issues in the OMT. We let Oxlade whatshisface run through us as if he was Maradona in 86, then Lamela didnt clear the ball that he should have, then Kaboul diving forward to clear the ball where if he stood he would have cleared it and then Vert for turning his back on the wellbeck fluffed clearance. Im not one for analysing goals but their goal was just so so so poor, not seen as many mistakes for a goal as with that one.

That's all very true, and why I felt I had to say that although Lamellas clearance wasn't the greatest it was also IMO the hardest. As I've seen it mentioned a couple of times now I think it needed some perspective.

I know not aimed at my post but ill intrude by saying I think you can definitely criticise Lamela for his poor shocking clearance. Im sorry but a pro footballer should be able to clear a ball with his wrong foot. Fine if he cant shoot accurately but in that position in the area - anywhere will do mindset has to set in - and in his case his left foot was totally the wrong option.

Everyone makes mistakes. However, when you are 1-0 up at a top4 team with about 10mins to go they are magnified and take on greater significance. Should have been a routine play with no dramas. From where I was watching I thought he would/should have headed it away. Wouldnt have needed to be perfect, and anything on it with his head at all would likely have sufficed. He could have established position and then hung in the air, or even made a diving header. For a guy of his stature he hasn't shown much in the air so far, at least not to me anyway, so hopefully that aspect of his game, along with others, will develop more in time.

Last edited:
That's a good point sc25, and one that hadn't occurred to me.
Just to be clear here, I'm not saying he couldn't/shouldn't have done better just that to lay the blame for the goal on that one clearance is very harsh.

That's a good point sc25, and one that hadn't occurred to me.
Just to be clear here, I'm not saying he couldn't/shouldn't have done better just that to lay the blame for the goal on that one clearance is very harsh.

You can argue that if Lamela did his job and cleared it away like he should have then the subsequent mistakes would never have happened. Then again you can argue that if we didnt let Oxlade run through us then Lamela wouldnt have been in that position etc etc etc... basically its all falling at deafs ears as ultimately it is a team game and it was a team fault with shoddy defending.

Im not going to use superlatives simply because I dont think he has shown anything to warrant such labels.

Fantastic? He has definitely shown more this season than he did last season which is an improvement but he has such a long way to go before he can be labelled as 'fantastic'. Perhaps im a harsh critic but he still dwells on the ball, his step overs really infuriate me (there is a Bentley about him) - he would be far more effective if he did the simple things (like on Saturday with the ball to Chadli) rather than the difficult stuff he tries to do.

Agreed on this. He needs to be a more effective player, doing more of the simple things we know he can do - like the sublime pass that Ade should have scored from. Once he improves his decision making, which I'm sure he will, we will have a great player on our hands.

He's improving and looks like he's learning though, so I'm not worried he's still not a world beater. I expect him to flourish more as the season progresses.

As for their goal, it was an unfortunate mistake from his part, which I'm sure he knows very well. As long as he learns from it and doesn't make a habit of it, that's good enough for me.

DHSF, I don' t like to argue[emoji2]. We discuss and exchange views in a manner befitting the intelligent people spurs supporters are[emoji4]

Im not going to use superlatives simply because I dont think he has shown anything to warrant such labels.

Fantastic? He has definitely shown more this season than he did last season which is an improvement but he has such a long way to go before he can be labelled as 'fantastic'. Perhaps im a harsh critic but he still dwells on the ball, his step overs really infuriate me (there is a Bentley about him) - he would be far more effective if he did the simple things (like on Saturday with the ball to Chadli) rather than the difficult stuff he tries to do.

First of all, you should try it. Life needs injections of fun and excitement, and there's nothing like a fantastic superlative to do it! :lol:
Second point…if we passed the ****ing ball to him a little quicker then I suspect he would deliver even more. Often this season he's received the ball a few seconds too late/when he's got a crowd. We move too slowly/movement around him isn't always good enough to help. I counted three occasions when he was clear and did not receive the ball. In fact, when Verts charged forward right near the end, Lamela was in space to the right, in the channel, and a quick ball from Verts as he crossed the halfway line would've given Lamela a great chance to bear down on the clown and give us the points.

I'm prepared to be marked on this, but this time next season we will start to see the inevitable 'feeder club' links with him...

Lamela now has 6 assists in 9 league and Cup matches so far this season. That is a good record. But he really should be scoring goals for us. It is disappointing he still has not scored a league goal since joining us last season. Hope he will score soon.

That is a very good start to the season for him. Would be nice to see him scoring, but as Eriksen and our striker haven't clicked, and Chadli isn't the most creative, he hasn't had many opportunities to get in the right positions with decent service.

First of all, you should try it. Life needs injections of fun and excitement, and there's nothing like a fantastic superlative to do it! :lol:
Second point…if we passed the ****ing ball to him a little quicker then I suspect he would deliver even more. Often this season he's received the ball a few seconds too late/when he's got a crowd. We move too slowly/movement around him isn't always good enough to help. I counted three occasions when he was clear and did not receive the ball. In fact, when Verts charged forward right near the end, Lamela was in space to the right, in the channel, and a quick ball from Verts as he crossed the halfway line would've given Lamela a great chance to bear down on the clown and give us the points.

I'm prepared to be marked on this, but this time next season we will start to see the inevitable 'feeder club' links with him...

Third point...the striker up front can be a decoy and a foil to set up midfielders through on goal.

edit: just seen that totti's scored in the CL. this was lamela's strike partner.

Last edited:
@EPLStatman: Most Successful Take Ons This Season

Hazard 36
Lamela 21
Sterling 20
Delph 18
Ozil 17
Wheelchair 17
Cazorla 15

@OptaJoe: 42 - Erik Lamela has been tackled and lost the ball more often than any other player in the Premier League this season. Life.

Despite his slow start Lamela is a marked man for sure, we see a lot of deliberate fouls on him in the centre of the park. he's stood tall though, and I can only imagine that Lamela will relish the second half of the season when he gets to meet his markers agaom. this time with the benefit of playing against them.

About his failed clearance against scum: from time to time such things happen to all players. Just remember Naughton's and Kaboul's clearances against Southampton. They could easily led to goals as well. The thing I disliked more was Lamela's wrong positioning when Sanchez received the ball. I think Lamela shouldn't help Naughton and should have covered Cazorla who supported this attack from behind and made a successive goal cross. Lack of experience, suddeness of the moment and overall pressure can be the main factors of this mistake.

About his ball control: I think Lamela is on the brink of breakthrough when he finally gets used to EPL tempo, finds and realizes the moment to leave the ball to a teammate. He has pace, great dribbling and defensive abilities, workrate, desire in him; he sees empty zones well. Lamela just needs to understand on subconscious level when it is time to pass the ball to other players who find themselves in a better position, with more freedom and prospect to continue the attack due to Lamela's actions as he is usually moving with pace and met/covered by 2 or even 3 players. Chadli, Eriksen and probably Mason (although it's too early to judje him) are well suited for this interaction, but they still a lot work to do. Ade usually slows us, defending and keeping the ball well but often passing it after several seconds, backwards to the nearest player. As result opposition manages to return nulifying our potential danger. If he could produce attacking actions like he did two times against Southampton more often, I suppose our overall perfomance in attacking third would have been much more consistent and productive.

Last edited:
I was a big fan of Lamela's at Roma and was delighted we signed him. Here's what i think of him so far in a spurs shirt:

Positives = He's definitely tougher than i thought and is up for the fight. Is always working hard for the team, very committed, has lovely close control, has a good pass on him.

Negatives = = Sometimes does too much. Needs to take control of a game more as he certainly has the ability to do so. His decision making has also not been that great because at times he holds on to the ball too long...and other times he tries the extravagant when a simpler pass would have been more effective.

Still have high hopes though...

Back