• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jason Roberts claim

Roy1983

Edward Sheringham
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29337157

Jason Roberts claims that more must be done about a lack of black managers in the game. I really want a proper, reasoned debate on this. Surely if they're good enough anyone would get a job? Is there really any truth that chairman won't hire managers on the colour of their skin?

If so it is disgraceful.

this is a thread that needs stats

it would surprise me if a chairman passed on the someone for such a ridiculous reason, when you are hiring its because you have a problem that needs solving, in my experience you tend to throw money at the first person who looks like a solution

I know at Brighton of 5 youth coaches who are black so as they make inroads into the youth coaching system in the next few years you would expect some to move on to become top level managers.

There has been a very low turnout since I've followed THFC since 1992 of black managers. Jean Tigana at Fulham and Paul Ince neither have been particularly any good IMO but not due to the colour of their skin.

we need a bit more info, which clubs is he talking about, who are the black managers not being employed, who's getting the job instead?

As MLK said "I have a dream, where my children get job interviews based on the colour of their skin, not the content of their character....."

It's the sort of comment that's easy to make but hard to back up with cold hard facts. Who are these black managers who aren't being given a shot? Where are they performing well in comparison - MLS? Danish league? French league?

What about Asian managers - don't think I've seen many of them? Women managers? Amputees? Dwarves? Blokes named Horatio? It's a conspiracy.

It takes a certain type of person to become a manager, many love the game and stick to coaching - either at community or youth level to give back and become mentors like someone did to them. If there is a problem with black coaches getting their chance as managers then it needs addressing, however it doesn't appear from the outside that there is anything obvious.

Under-represented, sure, compared to, say, the proportion of black players in the leagues, but this in itself isn't an indication of racism and the proposed 'Rooney Rule' thing from NFL doesn't automatically fix this.

To decide properly, first we should see stats like 'applications vs interviews', 'interviews vs hires' and who else applied. Not just how many clubs have black managers, it's too simplistic. If Paul Ince applied for Chelsea and so did Jose Mourinho but they went with Jose, that isn't going to be because of skin colour. If 100 black coaches applied and 0 got interviews, that's an issue perhaps, but we don't know...

Players who retire and go into coaching, but not all. So should we expect more black coaches in the future? with the money in the game maybe there's no need to stay employed and ex-players are happy to enjoy their life after football.

A few years ago thee was a horrendous stat about how many coaches in the UK have all of their qualifications. Really not that many, in all honesty. Moans about going for a foreign manager over an English one, when the English one doesn't have the required badges and the foreign one does. More should be done by the FA, but first to make sure every coach is up to standard first, level the playing field, and then see whether there is a discrimination problem.

I think Rodgers is the youngest premier league manager atm at 41 (?) - from his generation are there many former black players who have gone in to coaching? As the next generation comes through the balance will probably level out.

@ Danners I don't think that kind of information will ever be known in the public domain.

Indeed, but until then it's just presumptions and assumptions.

'How many black sports writers?' is the usual reply to Oliver Holt and him pushing the mandatory job interview for 'minority' coaches idea.

Don't think it is racism. Football is a success based enterprise. Chairman hire whoever will give them success and stability. Doubt race ever comes in to it.

Well Sol Campbell thinks its racist that he isnt already Arsenal manage, England manager, FA chairman, head of the referees association and Queen of England.

Paul Ince set black managers back years.

How so?

This can only be the case IF Jason Roberts and others are correct and that there ARE in fact pre-judgements being made on the quality of managers based on their skin colour; That applicants who are black are being pre-judged as being inferior because they have the same colour skin as Paul Ince...

I go to Tranmere a lot and when John Barnes became manager the fans didn't like him immediately. I witnessed some abhorrent racist things being said about him in the pubs near the ground. When anyone was confronted about the racist things they were saying, they immediately went on the defensive saying they didn't like him because of his links to Liverpool. But they weren't singing songs about LFC, or bemoaning the fact they had an ex-player of theirs on the touchline. It was all bluntly about his race.

Now I'm not wanting to denigrate Tranmere purely because of a select few idiots, but there was a nasty, underlying feeling to his time at the club. Barnes has since made comments about his time there and that he would have been given longer had he been white, but the Tranmere fans always have the excuse that he wasn't very good, and have the stats to back this up, citing results the reason for dismissal.

Like Danners says, until clubs make it transparent who applies for and subsequently gets interviewed for jobs then we will never be able to say for definite whether or not Roberts has a valid point.

Back